Embarkation day - Carry-ons and luminae

Carol28

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

On embarkation day, doesn't Waves have a long line? And is the Terrace crowded or easy to get a table? I find buffets difficult, especially with our carry-ons.  And so, one of us goes at a time and it's just not fun. (This is our first time on O. On other ships we usually pay for a specialty lunch.)

I have eaten lunch in Terrace Cafe on embarkation day on my last few cruises and it has not been crowded at all. Maybe because more people are eating in port.
Terrace was leisurely. No problem at all finding a table. We enjoyed a nice lunch on the ship and the food was very good. 

3 hours ago, Carol28 said:

On embarkation day... And is the Terrace crowded or easy to get a table? I find buffets difficult, especially with our carry-ons.  And so, one of us goes at a time and it's just not fun. (This is our first time on O....)

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I’m curious about that too

First, why don't you have the porters take BOTH your checked bag and your carry on (assuming you flew) at the Terminal and they've got the O luggage tags on them?

Second, the Terrace Cafe is relatively large. So really NO problem getting a "table", BUT if you want to eat outside, on a nice day, as many do, those table aft can be taken. There are only so many of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carol28 said:

On embarkation day, doesn't Waves have a long line? And is the Terrace crowded or easy to get a table? I find buffets difficult, especially with our carry-ons.  And so, one of us goes at a time and it's just not fun. (This is our first time on O. On other ships we usually pay for a specialty lunch.)

We eat before boarding  so by the time we board about  2pm there are no lines

You can also try Barristas

Well I guess it will be  a new experience for you on O

Enjoy

3 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Food gets cold quickly and finding a table after your food… 

I think I’ll survive 

Find  a table BEFORE  you get your food

The food in the Terrace  unless from the grill is warm at best IME

I am always complaining  about that in my cruise comment cards

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

First, why don't you have the porters take BOTH your checked bag and your carry on (assuming you flew) at the Terminal and they've got the O luggage tags on them?

Second, the Terrace Cafe is relatively large. So really NO problem getting a "table", BUT if you want to eat outside, on a nice day, as many do, those table aft can be taken. There are only so many of them.

Good point. The porters will take any bag that has an O tag on it. It’s up to you, if you want to send your carryon with them. I usually keep mine with me, and it’s never been a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

I know it doesn’t happen often, but I have heard of a horror story or two about luggage being left behind in the port by the stevedores. My carry-on would have things like my medicine and several changes of clothes in case my checked luggage goes awry. I would rather be inconvenienced and keep my carry-on luggage with me for the two hours it might take for me to get into my state room. Just my opinion 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I know it doesn’t happen often, but I have heard of a horror story or two about luggage being left behind in the port by the stevedores. My carry-on would have things like my medicine and several changes of clothes in case my checked luggage goes awry. I would rather be inconvenienced and keep my carry-on luggage with me for the two hours it might take for me to get into my state room. Just my opinion 

This ^ , lost clothes are easily replaceable, but my meds, cords for my devices and my shaving kit stay with me.   It just makes me less anxious if I have them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

Good point. The porters will take any bag that has an O tag on it. It’s up to you, if you want to send your carryon with them. I usually keep mine with me, and it’s never been a problem.

I do as well 

I usually have meds & computer in my carry on & not willing to leave it with the porters/port staff

Already had my lock cut off in Miami  at the port ..no reason for this to happen

If they were concerned about  something call us to open the bag 

Though the airlines already allow you to keep a jacket, book, and PERSONAL ITEM of rather decent size in addition to your carry on. So, I keep my passport, CP, meds, and a couple other important small things in my personal item. My wife has a rather large purse as her personal item. I suspect she could fit a VW Beetle in it if she tried.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Thanks! I usually do give all bags to the porters but I thought at international ports (Rome) they didn’t have them. It’s our first O cruise and cruise out of Rome. Thought we had to carry on bags. 

7 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Thanks! I usually do give all bags to the porters but I thought at international ports (Rome) they didn’t have them. It’s our first O cruise and cruise out of Rome. Thought we had to carry on bags. 

I have not cruised from  Civitavecchia (Rome)  but most ports overseas  have porters or  take your bags  at the port

Never had to actually carry on luggage

except  for the small carry on bag I have my valuables in

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I do as well 

I usually have meds & computer in my carry on & not willing to leave it with the porters/port staff

Already had my lock cut off in Miami  at the port ..no reason for this to happen

If they were concerned about  something call us to open the bag 

I had my lock cut off, too. Can’t remember where now, but I thought the TSA had keys, so I’m thinking it was a baggage handler wherever it was. I never pack anything remotely valuable, so they were sadly disappointed, but still not a happy thought. 

• Like 1

We carried on all of our luggage when boarding Marina in Miami in December. Even though our cabin wasn't quite ready we dropped off all off our luggage and put it on the sofa before heading to lunch. It wasn't in the way for the cabin steward to finish tidying up. After finishing lunch the cabin was ready and we unpacked.

7 hours ago, Carol28 said:

That is why experience has taught us, as it has so many others, to have a nice relaxing morning seeing sites and having lunch (preferably with local cuisine that you could not get on the ship or at home) in the departure city.  Then we make our way to the ship at around 2:00pm and have an easy check in with no lines.  We can then usually go directly to our cabin and not worry about schlepping our carry on luggage or totes around the ship.  There may be a reason why a particular departure port does not permit this routine, but we have found that it works most of the time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

We carried on all of our luggage when boarding Marina in Miami in December. Even though our cabin wasn't quite ready we dropped off all off our luggage and put it on the sofa before heading to lunch. It wasn't in the way for the cabin steward to finish tidying up. After finishing lunch the cabin was ready and we unpacked.

Cruise line asks that you not enter cabin until announcement is made that you are free to do so. Why do you think it is okay to flaunt the rules just because you judge it to appropriate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

Cruise line asks that you not enter cabin until announcement is made that you are free to do so. Why do you think it is okay to flaunt the rules just because you judge it to appropriate?

Why don't we LIST every "rule" or "procedure" or "policy" that O has published but doesn't "enforce"?

- Alcohol policy? A wet joke.

- Dress code? All but a joke.

- Embarkation procedures? A slow joke.

- Disembarkation procedures? A madhouse joke.

For example, what does O say about reserving loungers and what do O passengers do and what do others say about what they do and what do O employees do about it?

When I go to a hotel, IF they give me my room key and it opens my door, I can get it. O does that at check in. And they know that.

IF O has a real issue with this, they would enforce something. BUT they don't. And they don't even "enforce" who can get in their line at what time at embarkation at Terminal J. I may have scheduled an 11 am time but someone with a 2 pm is next to me at 1045. And we both get on at 1130.

Just this past week, O cruisers here were telling us all how they get free alcohol at breakfast with the Select Package even though O clearly says it is for only Lunch and Dinner. So, with O, who knows? You only know when they either allow you to do something or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Why don't we LIST every "rule" or "procedure" or "policy" that O has published but doesn't "enforce"?

- Alcohol policy? A wet joke.

- Dress code? All but a joke.

- Embarkation procedures? A slow joke.

- Disembarkation procedures? A madhouse joke.

For example, what does O say about reserving loungers and what do O passengers do and what do others say about what they do and what do O employees do about it?

When I go to a hotel, IF they give me my room key and it opens my door, I can get it. O does that at check in. And they know that.

IF O has a real issue with this, they would enforce something. BUT they don't. And they don't even "enforce" who can get in their line at what time at embarkation at Terminal J. I may have scheduled an 11 am time but someone with a 2 pm is next to me at 1045. And we both get on at 1130.

Just this past week, O cruisers here were telling us all how they get free alcohol at breakfast with the Select Package even though O clearly says it is for only Lunch and Dinner. So, with O, who knows? You only know when they either allow you to do something or not.

I think this is a lot different because they usually make an announcement specifically asking passengers not to go to their cabin until they are told that their category of cabins are ready. But, obviously case in point here...some tend to think rules/requests, even when directly expressed at the moment, do not apply to them. (Except passport rules, I guess.) Unfortunate.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, edgee said:

I think this is a lot different because they usually make an announcement specifically asking passengers not to go to their cabin until they are told that their category of cabins are ready. But, obviously case in point here...some tend to think rules/requests, even when directly expressed at the moment, do not apply to them. (Except passport rules, I guess.) Unfortunate.

Plus 1.

9 minutes ago, edgee said:

IF this is "unfortunate", then you're complaining about O NOT ENFORCING what it can readily control. And there appears to be no shortage of that, policies & procedures & rules that O chooses NOT to enforce. All sorts of issues where O "makes announcements [including emphasized in packet material sent in advance or in e-mails] specifically asking passengers" to DO or NOT DO things. That aren't enforced! Including at embarkation & disembarkation. But that is an issue for O. They know what is important and whether something needs to be enforced.

But can we BOTH AGREE that O KNOWS that once they give you your cabin key that can & does open your room (in Terminal J), some people may choose to enter their cabin prior to some entry time O has announced?

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IF this is "unfortunate", then you're complaining about O NOT ENFORCING what it can readily control. And there appears to be no shortage of that, policies & procedures & rules that O chooses NOT to enforce. All sorts of issues where O "makes announcements [including emphasized in packet material sent in advance or in e-mails] specifically asking passengers" to DO or NOT DO things. That aren't enforced! Including at embarkation & disembarkation. But that is an issue for O. They know what is important and whether something needs to be enforced.

But can we BOTH AGREE that O KNOWS that once they give you your cabin key that can & does open your room (in Terminal J), some people may choose to enter their cabin prior to some entry time O has announced?

And some think it is perfectly fine to ignore polite requests directly made of them and only adhere to those requests when they are "ENFORCED." As I said, that is unfortunate.

• Like 7

I seem to recall they had signs on the fire doors leading to the cabin areas  saying "no entry" or some such wording

Yet pax  seem to think it is OK to ignore them

Maybe O should not issue key cards until  the cabin is ready 

If housekeeping find bags in the cabins before  they are announced as ready they could remove the bags & have them offloaded

Since Oceania  has tried to treat it's pax as adults  maybe they need a change in policy 😈

JMO

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I seem to recall they had signs on the fire doors leading to the cabin areas  saying "no entry" or some such wording

Yet pax  seem to think it is OK to ignore them

Maybe O should not issue key cards until  the cabin is ready 

If housekeeping find bags in the cabins before  they are announced as ready they could remove the bags & have them offloaded

Since Oceania  has tried to treat it's pax as adults  maybe they need a change in policy 😈

JMO

Whoa, Lyn! Your points do have merit, but off loading???..as in removing them from the ship! that's a little harsh!

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

last time we had a suitcase which is a few cruises ago, in port of Miami, we felt uneasy leaving it with the porters....sure enough the luggage did not arrive in our stateroom...had to go to reception, they searched for it the whole first day..and the next day, asking us "are you sure it was not left at the airport"....

the luggage was found on the third day somewhere on the ship where it shouldnt have been...

we were told by guest relations, that they have contracted out this service to a company and have no control over the porters delivering the luggage to the ship...

vowed if we ever travel with luggage again, that we take it up ourselves...it was an awful experience and reception was not really interested in helping us...

we now mostly travel with carry ons...for all kinds of reasons, our own totally chaotic airport and the ships handling of luggage....are two main reasons...

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

last time we had a suitcase which is a few cruises ago, in port of Miami, we felt uneasy leaving it with the porters....sure enough the luggage did not arrive in our stateroom...had to go to reception, they searched for it the whole first day..and the next day, asking us "are you sure it was not left at the airport"....

the luggage was found on the third day somewhere on the ship where it shouldnt have been...

we were told by guest relations, that they have contracted out this service to a company and have no control over the porters delivering the luggage to the ship...

vowed if we ever travel with luggage again, that we take it up ourselves...it was an awful experience and reception was not really interested in helping us...

we now mostly travel with carry ons...for all kinds of reasons, our own totally chaotic airport and the ships handling of luggage....are two main reasons...

Curious...on which cruise line did your bad experience occur?