Kids Club communication

jrphotog

Hi All..

We're first time cruisers and have booked on P&O Arvia for this summer. Can I ask, what happens if the kids are in the clubs, and they or the staff need to get hold of us (e.g. they're taken ill etc)? Assuming we're by the pool or elsewhere, not in the cabin...do we get given pagers or anything?

Many thanks

For kids club you don’t get pagers but they will try and track you down by where you last used your card (bar/shop/etc) and also ring your cabin. I would imagine if that doesn’t work a message on the tannoy to go to the kids club depending on how desperate it is.
I think from memory you do get a pager if they are in night nursery though as they don’t want a crying child to wake all the others!

4 hours ago, Snibs said:

For kids club you don’t get pagers but they will try and track you down by where you last used your card (bar/shop/etc) and also ring your cabin. I would imagine if that doesn’t work a message on the tannoy to go to the kids club depending on how desperate it is.
I think from memory you do get a pager if they are in night nursery though as they don’t want a crying child to wake all the others!

Thanks. But would a cruise ship, especially one with with 5000 passengers be constantly using the tannoy to contact guests, just because little Timmy has a tummy ache etc etc? That would be really really annoying for the other passengers…

I understand what you say about tracking down where we last used a card, but if we’re sunbathing by a pool that could have been ages ago, and in a different location. 

I guess if we have Wi-Fi they could message us on WhatsApp?

Edited by jrphotog

Don’t think I have ever heard an announcement regarding such an event and have been on a few cruises with my children in kids club (hence would need to be a serious concern). As the opening hours aren’t that long as they shut for lunch and tea I suspect they will just comfort the child until someone comes to collect them.

You are also able to call them to check all is ok with little Timmy.

25 minutes ago, July morning said:

It may depend on the childs age.  When we were on Britannia in October with a 4 year old we didn't get a pager they just checked if you would have your phone with you.

It may be ship dependant - the OP is going on Arvia

On 3/12/2023 at 3:22 PM, jrphotog said:

Hi All..

We're first time cruisers and have booked on P&O Arvia for this summer. Can I ask, what happens if the kids are in the clubs, and they or the staff need to get hold of us (e.g. they're taken ill etc)? Assuming we're by the pool or elsewhere, not in the cabin...do we get given pagers or anything?

Many thanks

I guess you could always tell them where you will be.🤔

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I guess you could always tell them where you will be

Just thinking when I read that how much simpler things like this would be if P&O had the Princess Medallion system that would tell the kids club exactly where the parents were at any given time.

50 minutes ago, david63 said:

Just thinking when I read that how much simpler things like this would be if P&O had the Princess Medallion system that would tell the kids club exactly where the parents were at any given time.

Totally agree. They also seem to be one of the few cruise lines that don’t have a messaging system within their app. 

On 3/14/2023 at 10:58 AM, jrphotog said:

Just called P&O.
Apparently parents are given pagers when the kids the kids are dropped off.

I’ve probably spent over 50 nights on P&O with my grandchildren and never had a pager 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it’s age related as the youngest age of one of my grandchildren would have been about 6. 

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

I’ve probably spent over 50 nights on P&O with my grandchildren and never had a pager 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it’s age related as the youngest age of one of my grandchildren would have been about 6. 

I did slightly doubt what I was told on the phone. The lady I spoke to sounded rather young and hesitant. 
So during that time you spent on the ships, what happened if your grandkids wanted to get hold of you whilst in the clubs?

24 minutes ago, jrphotog said:

I did slightly doubt what I was told on the phone. The lady I spoke to sounded rather young and hesitant. 
So during that time you spent on the ships, what happened if your grandkids wanted to get hold of you whilst in the clubs?

There is a phone number. You can check if they are ok. Or you could go along and see.

I have been on a few cruises using kids club but you aren’t given a pager. I’m not sure if you can request one but they are not needed. 

On P&O as long as you have your mobile phone with you and the kids club have this number you will connect to the ships cellular network. If they need you in an emergency they can contact you on your mobile anywhere on the ship. Just be careful it is expensive to use as a normal network but great for emergencies on the ship or at home. If someone calls you and you don’t answer it won’t cost you but it will cost about £2 per minute or more to answer but worth it if there is an emergency. See below from P&O’s website. 

While you’re at sea, you’ll still be able to use your mobile phone to make and receive calls, as well as send text messages and photos, using International Maritime Roaming. Costs of calls will be added to your mobile bill, not your on-board account. You are strongly advised to check costs in advance with your service provider

On another note, P&O was my first cruise and experience of kids club but they are fantastic and the staff are brilliant. My son who is 8 loves the kids club and P&O is his favourite. They do lots of activities and don’t simply put them in front of a screen. I’m on Arvia in the summer and we are all looking forward to it after Iona last year, you will love it. 

13 hours ago, jrphotog said:

They can’t unless you happen to be in your cabin if they call 🤷‍♂️

There’s no way I’d be switching my phone on for a ‘maritime’ call as I’ve heard some horror stories about its use and wouldn’t want to risk it. 

Edited by devonuk
Error

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

They can’t unless you happen to be in your cabin if they call 🤷‍♂️

There’s no way I’d be switching my phone on for a ‘maritime’ call as I’ve heard some horror stories about its use and wouldn’t want to risk it. 

Agreed, no way I’m switching roaming on whilst at sea! Only in port for regular EU roaming.

3 hours ago, Ljdoc said:

I have been on a few cruises using kids club but you aren’t given a pager. I’m not sure if you can request one but they are not needed. 

On P&O as long as you have your mobile phone with you and the kids club have this number you will connect to the ships cellular network. If they need you in an emergency they can contact you on your mobile anywhere on the ship. Just be careful it is expensive to use as a normal network but great for emergencies on the ship or at home. If someone calls you and you don’t answer it won’t cost you but it will cost about £2 per minute or more to answer but worth it if there is an emergency. See below from P&O’s website. 

While you’re at sea, you’ll still be able to use your mobile phone to make and receive calls, as well as send text messages and photos, using International Maritime Roaming. Costs of calls will be added to your mobile bill, not your on-board account. You are strongly advised to check costs in advance with your service provider

On another note, P&O was my first cruise and experience of kids club but they are fantastic and the staff are brilliant. My son who is 8 loves the kids club and P&O is his favourite. They do lots of activities and don’t simply put them in front of a screen. I’m on Arvia in the summer and we are all looking forward to it after Iona last year, you will love it. 

Thanks for the info, but I’m not switching on roaming at sea. Too risky to rack up massive charges, especially on smartphones that use background data for anything and everything. 

I guess the kids club can WhatsApp if I’m on the ship Wi-Fi.

We’re also on Arvia, 20 Aug Med cruise. Can’t wait!

7 minutes ago, jrphotog said:

Thanks for the info, but I’m not switching on roaming at sea. Too risky to rack up massive charges, especially on smartphones that use background data for anything and everything. 

It’s very easy to switch off data roaming on a mobile device and keep calls but I’ve never done it myself and never had an issue with it connecting to data on the maritime network. I think there is a block on it but not sure. 

I also have only a £10 limit in my phone for extra spend and never had an issue with extra spend. 

If you have any concerns speak to the kids club staff on day 1 and they will put you at ease. They do it every day of the year and do it very well. 

we are on early July ourselves. 

9 hours ago, jrphotog said:

As long as you dont have mobile data switched on, it's perfectly safe to have your phone on, and only answer the phone if it's the kids club.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:37 PM, Snibs said:

Pretty much this. I've checked with the kids club staff. They have pagers for night nursery or during day time if the kids have been unsettled or special needs, or other good reason, but they don't have enough for everyone during the day. If they need the parents then they will do as said, but if they can't find you with the cruise card or cabin they will search for you on the ship. There are only so many places you can be.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that when you order a drink, especially in a bar/restaurant, the server logs your table number. It may not be written on the table but they can get a diagram on their tablet.

I've only once ever known the kids club need to get hold of someone in an emergency and not be able to do it via tracking them down quickly. The announcement was similar to "could Mr & Mrs X from Y deck please contact reception by dialling xxxx from the nearest telephone".

In this case the kids had fallen awkwardly and was in the medical centre receiving treatment. They got called to reception so as not to alarm - and could then be directed to the medical centre. The kids club had already taken the kid to the medical centre so where a staff member short - they didn't need to lose another one dealing with the parents so rely on reception.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My daughter fell over and bust her lip and her younger sister was really upset that she’s been hurt. We were in sindhu, I missed my pudding and cuppa and they were fine, can laugh about it now. But anyway my point is if you think about what you do on a cruise ship. We are either in our room when the kids are in the club or in a bar somewhere so there is a high chance that they will know where you are. 
And there’s only once I’ve been contacted.