Brother in law refuses to use medallion app

debster11

27 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Never happens to me. I suspect you are using spyware that is posing as a browser.

If you look for something on Amazon.com, you will start getting ads from Amazon pushing the type item you looked for. But not from other places.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, debster11 said:

Is it mandatory to use the medallion. My brother-in-law is one of those who thinks everyone is watching. He refuses to allow access to his photos and camera. Does he somehow bypass this? I apologize if this has already been asked.

This is not the first post in cc that SIL were seeking advise for stubborn BIL. Posts like BIL refused to wear clothes and some sort...

Are you responsible to take care of an adult BIL to this extend?  You didnt mention his age, assuming an adult.  Just let him to take care of his own problem.  On embarkation, you move on with your Green lane.  And wave him "See you in the ship!"

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 3

On 3/13/2023 at 8:00 AM, wowzz said:

If that's what he wants to believe, fine. Obviously,  if Princess want to track him, they can anyway via the cctv system.

Why is he worried about being tracked anyway ?

Usually, only high profile citizens that are in the top 5% of the wealthy group would be concerned of being tracked by Princess in my opinion. 

55 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

Usually, only high profile citizens that are in the top 5% of the wealthy group would be concerned of being tracked by Princess in my opinion. 

Out of interest,  why would they be concerned,  and how would Princess know they were in the top 5% ?

On 3/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, debster11 said:

Is it mandatory to use the medallion. My brother-in-law is one of those who thinks everyone is watching. He refuses to allow access to his photos and camera. Does he somehow bypass this? I apologize if this has already been asked.

It's no problem and takes no time at check in. Many people don't use the medallion because it has a magnet that can interfere with implants like a pacemaker. He can get a regular cruise or if he takes the medallion he can put it in a rfid blocker sleeve so he won't be tracked.

It's not so much the tracking as harvesting of information to bombard you with ads  and ways to entice you spend more money.  They only track you on camera if something warrants it, they aren't collecting information. The medallion gives them every moment such as how long you were in a shop, if you went to a show, how long you spent in the bathroom! It's like cookies on your computer tracking you for extra revenue. 

I started using the medallion for unlocking my cabin door but keep it in an RFID sleeve in my pocket. I do not carry my cell with me on board, it stays in the safe. I don't use their app either, I use their web version to get ocean ready.

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

One added step.  But yes, he could ask for a card.  Customer Service would ask him for his medallion.  He could refuse to give up his magnet.  He would have one that was active and the other not.  Then he could chose to through it in the trash.

When my medallion died on a back to back, I asked to keep my old one.  No problem.  

He could always say he lost it and keep both. 

41 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's not so much the tracking as harvesting of information to bombard you with ads  and ways to entice you spend more money.  They only track you on camera if something warrants it, they aren't collecting information. The medallion gives them every moment such as how long you were in a shop, if you went to a show, how long you spent in the bathroom! It's like cookies on your computer tracking you for extra revenue. 

I started using the medallion for unlocking my cabin door but keep it in an RFID sleeve in my pocket. I do not carry my cell with me on board, it stays in the safe. I don't use their app either, I use their web version to get ocean ready.

But not a single person has said that they  have been" bombarded" with ads etc. 

There is zero evidence that information is being harvested for such usage.

And exactly why do you think Princess would waste time and money monitoring your toilet visits ! 

But, if that is what you want to believe, nothing will change your thinking.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

TBH, Princess seems to be able to bombard us with ways they hope will entice us to spend more money without the use of the Medallion. I’d say they are pros at it. With or without the Medallion we are reminded, minute by minute, that cruising is a for-profit business. It’s not that hard to ignore what you’re truly not interested in. 

The Medallion worked great for us. I liked that it enabled staff to know our names, and for interactions to be more personal. I liked (because I’m goofy) being welcomed to our stateroom. I loved that it made so many transactions in shops and  venues touchless. If the powers that be are interested in where I am on the ship at any given moment, have at it. Maybe that tracking will help them determine that several people got bored in a show that just was not working well, and got up and left. Or that a show or activity should be moved because it’s so well attended and currently in a venue that doesn’t fit the demand. There are all kinds of ways the information gathered could be used for the betterment of the experience. But I truly do not believe Princess has nefarious plans for knowing that I’m enjoying a cocktail at Vines. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

I though that was the demographic that Princess concentrates on having booked on their ships.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:12 PM, debster11 said:

He is correct, they know all the time where you are.  Some spouses have gotten in trouble using the princess app finding their other in somebodies else cabin.  You can see the stories on the site to find how they cought cheaters!

6 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

He is correct, they know all the time where you are.  Some spouses have gotten in trouble using the princess app finding their other in somebodies else cabin.  You can see the stories on the site to find how they cought cheaters!

Link please.... Great entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And if you watch YouTube video's, the channel "learns" what you watch and offers you more of the same.  

Big Brother is out there.  S/he is watching.  

I take it you do not know how to do safe browsing nor do the others here.

Mind you not everyone can have a background in internet and web security.

Edited by brisalta

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I take it you do not know how to do save browsing nor do the others here.

Mind you not everyone can have a background in internet security.

I just learned how to do "incognito" browsing.  But then again, I am cautious but not paranoid.  I have been hacked, scammed, and a victim of identity theft.  You can be as careful as the best sleuths, but there is always someone who is better.  I don't choose to live my life in fear.

• Like 2

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I just learned how to do "incognito" browsing.  But then again, I am cautious but not paranoid.  I have been hacked, scammed, and a victim of identity theft.  You can be as careful as the best sleuths, but there is always someone who is better.  I don't choose to live my life in fear.

From the use of the term "incognito" browsing it would appear you are using Chrome. If so that is a big security hole to start with.

6 minutes ago, brisalta said:

From the use of the term "incognito" browsing it would appear you are using Chrome. If so that is a big security hole to start with.

Chrome is not my primary browser.  

6 hours ago, spookyfudge said:

Some spouses have gotten in trouble using the princess app finding their other in somebodies else cabin.

Don't both parties have to agree for tracking to be enabled?  Seems short sighted to allow that and then stray!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Don't both parties have to agree for tracking to be enabled?  Seems short sighted to allow that and then stray!

People in the same cabin are automatically allowed to use the locate person function for each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, caribill said:

People in the same cabin are automatically allowed to use the locate person function for each other.

Not that we want to but I'm not sure if it's even possible to remove the locate feature for cabin mates?