HAL Check-In Times Auckland

Can anyone remember if the shoreside people are being very strict about check-in times. Ours assigned time is very late and we do not relish the idea of sitting in the cruises terminal for 2 hours right after a 14 hour flight.

Any other info about how Auckland works the boarding would be appreciated, too.

I've never had a problem with HAL check-in times being strictly monitored. My arrival times vary depending on transport to port. Last time in Auckland we did a Segway tour in Devonport then came back and boarded, I can't recall the specific boarding time.

• Thanks 1

Just boarded the Noordam in Auckland on Feb 25 and they were definitely enforcing assigned check-in times.  Don't think they even admitted people to the terminal if they were much before their time slot. To me it was not the most organised operation I've experienced.  Would definitely suggest you use Verifly for your vaccination and testing documentation.

3 hours ago, boeckli said:

Just boarded the Noordam in Auckland on Feb 25 and they were definitely enforcing assigned check-in times.  Don't think they even admitted people to the terminal if they were much before their time slot. To me it was not the most organised operation I've experienced.  Would definitely suggest you use Verifly for your vaccination and testing documentation.

Thanks very much for this info. Very helpful! I had the feeling that NZ might be very strict:)

Edited by SilvertoGold

14 hours ago, boeckli said:

When we boarded Westerdam in December it was a free-for-all for a while. We had the first boarding time of 12 noon. We arrived about ten minutes before that time, were directed upstairs and told to sit and wait until "called". They started processing people where they were sitting and also in a line that was standing. More and more people kept arriving, filling seats just processed or joining the line and it was clear the terminal staff weren't keeping track of who/where they had processed. We had ended up in the back row and were totally ignored for quite some time. Eventually our row started to get angry and demand they process us. It still took another ten minutes after that. Eventually one of the staff told all the others to only process the noon and following arrival times (12:15?) and we finally got checked in. 

It sounds like they'd streamlined their process by the time you boarded Noordam. Just as well!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

11 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks very much for this info. Very helpful! I had the feeling that NZ might be very strict:)

The Auckland waterfront is a lovely place wander around. If you've just come off a long flight then the best thing you can do is to get out in the fresh air and (hopefully) sunshine to help reset your bio-clock. Drop your luggage at the terminal and go for a walk. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants (although some of them are a bit expensive), and a nice shopping centre across the road if you need any last minute things. There is also plenty of seats in some parts where you can sit and relax for a while. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It sounds like they'd streamlined their process by the time you boarded Noordam. Just as well!

Yet more streamlining would not go astray! Signage and training of ground staff could be improved.

From arrival at the terminal to cabin took me approx. 45 mins. (I had boarding group C - 12.40pm)

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Drop your luggage at the terminal and go for a walk.

Not too sure about the luggage drop off. Everybody in the line had their luggage with them into the terminal building (unlike in Sydney where you drop your luggage separately outside).

44 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Not too sure about the luggage drop off. Everybody in the line had their luggage with them into the terminal building (unlike in Sydney where you drop your luggage separately outside).

They certainly weren't very organized for luggage drop-off when we were there, unlike the pre-Covid Celebrity cruises we did. 

We dropped our bags off around 10:15am and there wasn't anything set-up outside. Rolf had to take them into the terminal building. By the time we'd dropped off our rental car and walked back to the teminal, with a coffee stop along the way and some quick shopping as Rolf had forgotten his hat, they had set up a baggage drop outside the building.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When we boarded Westerdam in December it was a free-for-all for a while. We had the first boarding time of 12 noon. We arrived about ten minutes before that time, were directed upstairs and told to sit and wait until "called". They started processing people where they were sitting and also in a line that was standing. More and more people kept arriving, filling seats just processed or joining the line and it was clear the terminal staff weren't keeping track of who/where they had processed. We had ended up in the back row and were totally ignored for quite some time. Eventually our row started to get angry and demand they process us. It still took another ten minutes after that. Eventually one of the staff told all the others to only process the noon and following arrival times (12:15?) and we finally got checked in. 

I really hope you are correct. I have never experienced that bad a boarding! We have 1 pm and hope the crowds may have calmed down a bit by then. Amazing that they go through this ever two weeks or so for the main season, just with HAL, plus all the other lines. It does remind me of thinking that the staff changes weekly and they are starting from scratch each time without much training and plans!

Thanks for your help. Very helpful!

12 hours ago, boeckli said:

Yet more streamlining would not go astray! Signage and training of ground staff could be improved.

From arrival at the terminal to cabin took me approx. 45 mins. (I had boarding group C - 12.40pm)

This makes me feel better as we have 1 pm check-in.  All this info is great: at least we will be prepared and possibly less frustrated :)

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I really hope you are correct. I have never experienced that bad a boarding! We have 1 pm and hope the crowds may have calmed down a bit by then. Amazing that they go through this ever two weeks or so for the main season, just with HAL, plus all the other lines. It does remind me of thinking that the staff changes weekly and they are starting from scratch each time without much training and plans!

Thanks for your help. Very helpful!

Remember cruising had just restarted to NZ and that may have been the first HAL ship there although P&O Australia and Princess had probably visited Auckland before HAL. It may have even been one of the first Auckland embarkations as often the ships round-trip from Australia. Anyway it sounds like they were more organized for boeckli's embarkation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks for the heads-up!  Where were you flying from? 

It's always a risk flying in the day the cruise departs. We tend to arrive at least one day earlier. Did you book your flight through HAL? If so they will get you to the next port if your flight is delayed, otherwise you may have problems. I'm not sure what happens with passport control in that situation. 

JULIE:    Thanks for your info.  Have HAL FlightEase booked. This non-stop flight has a relatively good arrival times history. Scheduled for 10:30 am and usually arrives within 45 minutes.

Wondering if anyone has flown into the International Terminal in Auckland - I am looking a this website and getting the idea of where our gate should be, as well as theluggage areas and the HAL reps.

Edited by SilvertoGold

10 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Usually Christchurch to Auckland or vice-versa. Auckland is frequently delayed. 

Any ideas why you frequently have delays?   You would be using the Domestic Terminal and not the International one. Do they share the same runways?

Edited by SilvertoGold

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

JULIE:    Thanks for your info.  Have HAL FlightEase booked. This non-stop flight has a relatively good arrival times history. Scheduled for 10:30 am and usually arrives within 45 minutes.

Wondering if anyone has flown into the International Terminal in Auckland - I am looking a this website and getting the idea of where our gate should be, as well as theluggage areas and the HAL reps.

To avoid any extra delays once on the ground at Auckland airport,  make sure you don't have any food items to declare. I  declared a few items and joined frustratingly long lines - and eventually thought 'why didn't I just ditch what I had' but by then I  had nearly reached the end. I felt a little better meeting a couple in the shuttle to the hotel who had come off the same flight from Sydney said they had not had anything to declare and lines were long as well. All luggage goes through a  scanner which creates the delays, exercerbated if several flights arrive in close proximity. 

Prepare for some frustration 🙄

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Not us, but some years ago, we were crusing from Sydney and making our way through all the areas of the OPT to boarding. We had a later boarding time.  As we passed a lift, a couple from the US, in their 70s I would say, came out and were quite flustered, They had come directly from the airport and their plane was late, they were exhausted after their long flight and really thought they would miss their cruise departure. We spoke to them for a few minutes and then oaught up with them a few days later. With jetleg and the stress of their late flight, they had basically slept for the first couple of days of the cruise, so had missed all the excitement one experiences at the start of a cruise and the enjoyment of it all. They said they would never book flights to arrive on the day of a cruise again, even with many hours to spare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks for the heads-up!  Where were you flying from? 

I couldn't believe it when I read the other day that you were flying in from Canada same day as boarding. Most people, regardless of where they are flying to to catch a cruise, wouldn't fly in the same day. I'm sure you're experienced cruisers and this must have worked out for you in the past but give it some thought.

I've been delayed flying from Melbourne, Australia to Auckland by hours and that's just a 4 hour flight. Often flights are delayed by the incoming aircraft to be used getting in late. No shade on Auckland - it happens everywhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We flew in from Sydney in December. Auckland airport is fairly easy to navigate - just follow everyone else to the baggage arrival area. Our flight arrived late aftenoon and the queues through customs were horrendous. I imagine the HAL reps will be waiting at the meet and greet area at the exit from the secure area of the airport into the main concourse. You should be able to spot them easily.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I fly into AKL international terminal frequently. Often the queues for customs and immigration are really really long. We waited 2 hours within the airport recently to get through the queues. Then waited an hour and ten minutes in a queue to pick up a hire car that was already booked but that won't be an issue for you (but is indicative possibly, of the type of busyness you may come across).

I'd fly in two nights prior to boarding and I do if sailing from an international port.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Not us, but some years ago, we were crusing from Sydney and making our way through all the areas of the OPT to boarding. We had a later boarding time.  As we passed a lift, a couple from the US, in their 70s I would say, came out and were quite flustered, They had come directly from the airport and their plane was late, they were exhausted after their long flight and really thought they would miss their cruise departure. We spoke to them for a few minutes and then oaught up with them a few days later. With jetleg and the stress of their late flight, they had basically slept for the first couple of days of the cruise, so had missed all the excitement one experiences at the start of a cruise and the enjoyment of it all. They said they would never book flights to arrive on the day of a cruise again, even with many hours to spare.

If the couple were badly jet lagged getting there it will be worse when they go home. I've always found jet lag is worse flying west to east than east/west.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Any ideas why you frequently have delays?   You would be using the Domestic Terminal and not the International one. Do they share the same runways?

The issue isn't why I've had delays. Domestic or international runways both share the same weather!! LOL! That's where your issues are. Weather-related reasons are common at Auckland airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I couldn't believe it when I read the other day that you were flying in from Canada same day as boarding. Most people, regardless of where they are flying to to catch a cruise, wouldn't fly in the same day. I'm sure you're experienced cruisers and this must have worked out for you in the past but give it some thought.

I've been delayed flying from Melbourne, Australia to Auckland by hours and that's just a 4 hour flight. Often flights are delayed by the incoming aircraft to be used getting in late. No shade on Auckland - it happens everywhere.

Exactly! You've only got to get fog or something and nek minut.. haha

• Like 1