Review of Regal Princess

Hobbes67

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thanks for taking the time to review how great Princess handled your issues."

Hobbes67 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I have taken 30 trips on Princess and like everyone else we have had our ups and a few downs. We just got off of the Regal Princess on Sunday and can't say enough about how wonderful they were.  My husband's luggage did not get to the port in time for sailing so he boarded with no clothes.  No time to buy any either.  Princess was on the phone and internet every day with with American Airlines to try and recover the bag.  They finally sent it in 5 days.  Unfortunately they did not have much for my husband to purchase onboard (mostly clothing for women).  The concierge gave him a new pair of shorts he had purchased and each night our room steward pick up his clothes and returned them clean by 8am.  They also gave him onboard credits to purchase what he could onboard.  They didn't need to do this, it was not their fault.    The food in the dining room was very good and the service was as well.  My only complaint was the Crown Grill which has ordinarily been my favorite was not good.  As a side note, American did not get our bags back to us on our return trip as well.  They sent a text that they wouldn't arrive and said to click the link to have it them sent to our home.  We did that, however, they gave it the same claim number as the outbound problem.  Since we received that bag they have closed the case!!!  I am now going to have to drive to LAX and retrieve our bags.  (Min. 2 hours round trip plus who knows how long at the airport).  Yes, I have tried to call for 2 days and won't tell you how bad their customer service is.  Avoid American Airlines if at all possible.  Also, we were flying first class.  The bathroom was broken, no entertainment or internet. We were in seat 2A and had to go to the back of the plane for the bathroom.  It wasn't the distance, it was just that they had carts in the aisle so had difficulty getting back there.  Ok I vented, sorry to put you through this!

• Like 5

@Hobbes67Sorry to hear about your troubles with American Airways. I totally agree. Unfortunately we have to fly them frequently for my husband’s work trips. You should write to their Customer Relations Dept, outlining all the problems as you have here, including the upcoming drive to LAX, and expenses to you. That trip isn’t your fault either. I always do this even for the smallest grievance. They always give me free miles or a credit for use on a future flight. One time they lost both our bags for a few days and gave us $600 I used it to upgrade to First Class on a trip to London ! Try it !  Hope it works for you ! 

Edited by SAKay

Sorry to hear about the airlines and luggage problems!!!

Interesting how food reviews can vary so much.

Our last time on Regal seems similar to yours.  Most food was very good.  Steak and dining experience at Crown Grill, not so much.

I do think that there is now a different Executive Chef onboard.

We were on the Regal in November and December. We had a great time and our only complaint was the Crown Grill.  The lamb chops were as tough as an old boot, and the steak was okay. Not great, just okay.  Service was not very good.  The waiters seemed rushed and stressed, probably under staffed. And the atmosphere is not what you would expect from a "fine dining" establishment.  It was noisy and felt hectic.  We have enjoyed the Crown Grill in the past, but not on this last cruise. 

I'm probably biased as a Brit, but I have never found lamb to be a good choice on a US cruise ship. 

The provenance is really important- ideally the lamb should be reared on coastal sea marshes for extra flavour,  and the meat should only be served pink. 

Please don’t take this as any criticism or negative to your experience.  Understanding this doesn’t remove all possibilities of a loss, we have cross packed for all of our travels on cruises.   

Very sorry to hear of your experience with lost luggage.  

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Will be on Regal this October.  Not really impressed with their Speciality Restaurants.  But...we booked club class so in a way, we don't feel that we need them. 

We had Club Class on our last Regal cruise and LOVED it. It was so nice to walk into the dining room and have no wait for a table.  The waiters were awesome and got to know us very well and what we liked.  We much preferred our meals in the Club Class dining more than our meal in the Crown Grill.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1