White Pass Summit train ride better round trip or down by bus?

eyern1

I'm debating taking the train round trip vs an excursion that goes a little further by bus after you get off the train and then descends by bus. Will I really see anything different on the descent by train that I didn't see going up?  Or will I see new things by taking the bus back down? I know they are basically on separate sides of the gorge so the angles will be a little different but is there much else of a difference?  Is it often cloudy or foggy on the train ride like the tram ride in Juneau seems to be and if so, is there a certain time of day that tends to occur?

It’s nice to take the bus back (or to) from the train ride.  Depending on the tour you book, there are opportunities to stop for photo ops (waterfalls, Welcome to Alaska, Welcome to the Yukon), visit scenic lakes (EmeraldLake, etc), go to Carcross (lunch, sled dogs, museum, ice cream…), cycle back ro Skagway or hike to a glacier (Laughton Glacier).

We’ve been on the train a number of times but only one-way trips. Too many other things to see and do!

• Like 1

We did RT on the train as there was nowhere they were letting passengers off last year at the top.  We saw the same stuff and I started to not pay attention out the windows after a while.  I don't know what road they use after galivanting in Canada, but we rode down the road on the other side of the valley from the White Pass on bikes (on another tour), so we saw the opposite view.  It would be up to you if you think you would like seeing the same stuff again.  We are doing a Chilkoot Charters Tour this year with some time in Canada.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kathscof said:

We did RT on the train as there was nowhere they were letting passengers off last year at the top.

The simple excursions to the White Pass are all round-trip, as noted. But passengers who travel elsewhere (e.g., Fraser, Carcross) have a choice whether to travel one-way or round-trip by railroad. For some trips the railroad does not directly offer a single round-trip ticket, and passengers may need to purchase a one-way ticket there, and a separate one-way ticket back.

12 hours ago, GTJ said:

The simple excursions to the White Pass are all round-trip, as noted. But passengers who travel elsewhere (e.g., Fraser, Carcross) have a choice whether to travel one-way or round-trip by railroad. For some trips the railroad does not directly offer a single round-trip ticket, and passengers may need to purchase a one-way ticket there, and a separate one-way ticket back.

That's great, but the train did not offer any disembarkation in Canada last year due to Canada's covid restrictions. There were large and prominent notifications on the YP&R website last year sharing that information. 

A lot of the combo tours were cancelled a few months out (March? April? something like that) due to the train changes.  That's why we had to make our own tour, instead of train up and bike down like previously arranged, we did a van up, bike down and then a RT train, two separate events.  

This year, seems things are back to normal....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

That's great, but the train did not offer any disembarkation in Canada last year due to Canada's covid restrictions. There were large and prominent notifications on the YP&R website last year sharing that information. 

A lot of the combo tours were cancelled a few months out (March? April? something like that) due to the train changes.  That's why we had to make our own tour, instead of train up and bike down like previously arranged, we did a van up, bike down and then a RT train, two separate events.  

This year, seems things are back to normal....

This is correct.

40 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

That's great, but the train did not offer any disembarkation in Canada last year due to Canada's covid restrictions. * * * This year, seems things are back to normal....

Yes, last year, on an exceptional basis, the railroad had cancelled all of its regular route transportation, and only offered a limited selection of simple excursion trips, which are, as noted, round-trip. Ordinarily, however, the railroad does offer regular transportation, and not merely excursion trips. Commercial tour operators that rely on the inclusion of railroad transportation as part of their tour packages were adversely affected, and were compelled to cancel such tours.

This year, while the railroad will be offering regular transportation again, it will also continue offer excursion trips from Skagway to White Pass and return. These excursion trips are round-trip only, and neither board nor discharge passengers at White Pass. Persons who desire to travel in one direction by railroad and in the opposite direction by motor vehicle should rely on the railroad's regular transportation, to such points as Fraser or Carcross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

Yes, last year, on an exceptional basis, the railroad had cancelled all of its regular route transportation, and only offered a limited selection of simple excursion trips, which are, as noted, round-trip. Ordinarily, however, the railroad does offer regular transportation, and not merely excursion trips. Commercial tour operators that rely on the inclusion of railroad transportation as part of their tour packages were adversely affected, and were compelled to cancel such tours.

This year, while the railroad will be offering regular transportation again, it will also continue offer excursion trips from Skagway to White Pass and return. These excursion trips are round-trip only, and neither board nor discharge passengers at White Pass. Persons who desire to travel in one direction by railroad and in the opposite direction by motor vehicle should rely on the railroad's regular transportation, to such points as Fraser or Carcross.

yes, that's what is happening this year 🙂

• Like 1

I'm going to do the WP&YR Rail / Bus excursion to Fraser BC.  My question is whether its better to do the bus first then the train back from Fraser BC or do the train to Fraser then the bus back. It tales just under four hours either way. Also, is it better to do the morning excursion or the afternoon excursion?

No.  You can sometimes tell from departure times.  The train takes a lot longer than the bus, so the earliest times are for the train.  However, it can get confusing if you do a side quest like the suspension bridge or Caribou Crossing as that adds extra time to the bus trip.  You could try calling the White Pass office if they have the schedule for 2023 out and ask, or you can ask at the shore excursions desk on the ship after you board.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

You could try calling the White Pass office if they have the schedule for 2023 out and ask, or you can ask at the shore excursions desk on the ship after you board.

The scheduled times of day have remained fairly stable over the years . . . what typically changes from year-to-year are the days of operation. As for 2023, the railroad has posted its schedule. Trains to Fraser depart Skagway at 7:40 a.m. and 12:40 p.m., and arrive Fraser at 10:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.; trains depart Fraser at 11:45 a.m. and 4:35 p.m., and arrive Skagway at 12:20 p.m. and 5:10 p.m. (All times noted are local times, Alaska time in Skagway and Pacific time in Fraser.)

What I find interesting is that it seems that almost all passengers purchasing round-trip tickets between Skagway and Fraser elect to go one-way via railroad and the other way via bus. Not many people seem to travel round-trip going by railroad in both directions.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:30 PM, GTJ said:

What I find interesting is that it seems that almost all passengers purchasing round-trip tickets between Skagway and Fraser elect to go one-way via railroad and the other way via bus. Not many people seem to travel round-trip going by railroad in both directions.

That is probably because the cruiseline tend to only sell the bus and train combos? My experience is limited to only 3 cruises, but that's the only way I can recall seeing those excursions offered. A lot of people shy away from going out on their own and booking port tours independantly. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 1:42 AM, Ashland said:

We did the bus up and train down...it just seemed a perfect choice.

We are planning to do the same this summer, booked with Chilkoot charters combo (3,75 hours total). How much time do we have in Frazer before our train ride back to Skagway? what's not to miss?(food, gift shop).

On 3/24/2023 at 5:30 PM, GTJ said:

The scheduled times of day have remained fairly stable over the years . . . what typically changes from year-to-year are the days of operation. As for 2023, the railroad has posted its schedule. Trains to Fraser depart Skagway at 7:40 a.m. and 12:40 p.m., and arrive Fraser at 10:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.; trains depart Fraser at 11:45 a.m. and 4:35 p.m., and arrive Skagway at 12:20 p.m. and 5:10 p.m. (All times noted are local times, Alaska time in Skagway and Pacific time in Fraser.)

Great information about timing! We should have about one hour to spend in Fraser. Any suggestion?

14 minutes ago, oldplayer532 said:

We are planning to do the same this summer, booked with Chilkoot charters combo (3,75 hours total). How much time do we have in Frazer before our train ride back to Skagway? what's not to miss?(food, gift shop).

There's nothing in Fraser.  It's a wide spot on the road (tracks) where you get off the train and people are herded onto a bus for the trip back to Skagway.  If you want to explore, you should consider the Bennett Lake trip which stops at the train station at Bennett and lets you off to explore the area, which includes an old church and the end point of the Chilkoot trail.  You will get off the train in Carcross, a nice little town in the Yukon with shopping, restaurants, and a lot of historic gold rush history.  It's $100 more than the Fraser tour and magnitude or orders better.  You go 67 miles on the train instead of 28 and the scenery is fantastic.  Train up, bus down is the best. 

First photo is Carcross, second and third Lake Bennett

image.thumb.jpeg.76b03328c9c76a298e6df317291fee24.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d99d60b05c2bcb5ebcc4dbb69275560c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab1a501fd2d0f99ce395d048721592eb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

There's nothing in Fraser. It's a wide spot on the road (tracks) where you get off the train and people are herded onto a bus for the trip back to Skagway.

The railroad does not intentionally sell round-trip railroad tickets between Skagway and Fraser, preferring instead to use Fraser as a transfer point between train and bus. But one can purchase two separate one-way tickets, one to Fraser, and another from Fraser, creating a round-trip by railroad. Not much there beyond immigration and customs inspection . . . a few houses, a lake. No gift (or any other type of) shops, but there is a soda machine for refreshment if you have Canadian coins. Best might be to simply people watch and observe the logistics before returning to Skagway.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, wolfie11 said:

If you want to explore, you should consider the Bennett Lake trip ....  Train up, bus down is the best. 

May I ask why you say that about train first bring better? We're doing the opposite, bus then rail, because of timing. And I keep hearing recommendations to sit on the right or the left, any thoughts on that?

On 3/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, hapster85 said:

That is probably because the cruiseline tend to only sell the bus and train combos? My experience is limited to only 3 cruises, but that's the only way I can recall seeing those excursions offered. A lot of people shy away from going out on their own and booking port tours independantly. 🤷‍♂️

Our cruise line (Celebrity) offers a round trip train ride.  It’s what we have booked.  I looked into going rogue and booking an independent tour but was concerned because of the rockslide.  Not sure we would be able to get to the tour on time. 

23 hours ago, Octavias said:

Our cruise line (Celebrity) offers a round trip train ride.  It’s what we have booked.  I looked into going rogue and booking an independent tour but was concerned because of the rockslide.  Not sure we would be able to get to the tour on time. 

Is that the White Pass Summit round-trip? That's a different trip than the one combined with the bus ride mentioned above. If it's not the White Pass Summit, that's awesome.