Crown Grill - Should I Bother ??

kjg46

I will generally order the lamb chops at the Crown Grill.  I mentioned to my waiter that I had a not so good experience with the Rib Eye Steak the last time.  FIrst, he told me I should have said something and send it back.  Second, he told me that I should give it a try again, but maybe order it medium rare rather than medium.  Spot on.  It was flavorful and tender.  But I did miss my lamb chops.  

I like fish but don't care for the Chilean Sea Bass.  My sister loved it all 3 times we dined there.  She would not order anything else.  

I am not sure what the reason is behind so many different accounts.  But Princess is being true to thine self....inconsistent.  

As for Sabatini's, I'm an Olive Garden Happy Camper.  The food is good.  There are many choices.  The service is excellent.  Just not one of my favorite restaurants.  I will go there since my cabin mate joins me at the Crown Grill.

"I am not sure what the reason is behind so many different accounts.  But Princess is being true to thine self....inconsistent."

Each kitchen has its own Head Chef, and that can certainly make a difference.  But I wonder if the true culprit right now is the location of each ships' provisioning such that the quality of the ingredients varies more than ever before.  A ship based in Southampton is not getting the same beef as a ship based in San Pedro, which are both different from a ship based in Sydney.  It is impossible to serve a great steak out if the kitchen of the quality of the beef that got loaded into the galley larder is subpar.  Maybe some ports are just not getting good stuff right now.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruise 11 said:

Crown Grill March11 on Sky . Scallops and salad just OK. Onion soup very few onion slices. Ribeye cooked medium was tough. Lobster was just ok. Service poor to fair. Not worth it for us. 

I think the best bet is just to stick with the filet mignon for now as it is usually decent even in select grade.  They are probably using lower grades of beef than in the past since prices shot up in 2020-2022.  Prices are on the way back down so hopefully they will switch back to better grades at some point.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 12:29 PM, LACruiser88 said:

In our experience, the service in  Sabatini's has always been way above the service we have received at the CG.  We also prefer the menu at Sabatini's.

Couldn't agree with you more!  We used to love CG but the last several times we have been there we felt both the service and food had gone downhill.  We have always loved Sabatinis!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malba2366 said:

Prices are on the way back down so hopefully they will switch back to better grades at some point.

If they are, then Princess will only pocket the extra profit.

They've acquired so much debt, it'll take many years to work themselves out of the hole. 

4 hours ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Couldn't agree with you more!  We used to love CG but the last several times we have been there we felt both the service and food had gone downhill.  We have always loved Sabatinis!

That has been our recent experience post Covid on the Princess ships we have been on too.

• Like 1

Just now, SiliconCruiser said:

Don't bother, same low graded beef.

so. are you saying it is the exact same as in the crown grill for the 19 in the MDR but is not any better than the included cruise price steak you can get in the MDR? when you say low grade?

I ate in Crown Grill last night on Enchanted. Absolutely superb in every way. My first cruise as a solo traveller and the service was wonderful and didn’t make me feel weird on my own. I was encouraged to try two different starters, the black prawns and papaya plus the scallops. Both were delish. I chose the veal chop for my main and it was superb. The side dishes were excellent too. I concluded with the salted caramel creme brulee cheese cake - again good. I have the premium package so selected some good wine as well. All round lovely evening. I am going again later on the cruise and hope I can get the same servers as I will leave them an extra tip which I didn’t think about last night as I was so tired.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, warren buffet said:

so. are you saying it is the exact same as in the crown grill for the 19 in the MDR but is not any better than the included cruise price steak you can get in the MDR? when you say low grade?

Sorry, I misread your original post.  The upgrade item in the MDR is the same as you would get in the Crown Grill.  The portion would be larger than what you might get as an MDR menu item, but you can always order more than one item off the MDR menu (e.g. double meat)

Just now, SiliconCruiser said:

Sorry, I misread your original post.  The upgrade item in the MDR is the same as you would get in the Crown Grill.  The portion would be larger than what you might get as an MDR menu item, but you can always order more than one item off the MDR menu (e.g. double meat)

what I am thinking of in particular is the eight oz filet magion princess in putting on the mdr menu for 19 dollars  extra.   do you or anyone have any thoughts about that in particular. for me it seems like the side dishes and desserts are pretty similar in the mdr as crown. so the extra 19 dollars for the crown filet magion seems like a better option than 39 to go to the crown grill.  thoughts everyone?

3 hours ago, warren buffet said:

so the extra 19 dollars for the crown filet magion seems like a better option than 39 to go to the crown grill.  thoughts everyone?

Well, the CG costs $39, so for the extra $20 you get a more relaxed, spacious environment, more personalised service,  better choice of starters and desserts, and overall a feeling that you have been out for a meal,  rather than being fed. Only you can decide.

Personally,  if I ws thinking of spending  $19 for a steak to eat in the hub bub of the MDR,  I would pass.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, warren buffet said:

what I am thinking of in particular is the eight oz filet magion princess in putting on the mdr menu for 19 dollars  extra.   do you or anyone have any thoughts about that in particular. for me it seems like the side dishes and desserts are pretty similar in the mdr as crown. so the extra 19 dollars for the crown filet magion seems like a better option than 39 to go to the crown grill.  thoughts everyone?

Beef tenderloin (the other name for filet mignon) will be available more frequently than you might imagine.  As I mentioned earlier, you can always ask for a larger portion (unless you're really abusive towards your waiters 😉)  As an example, since I'm allergic to shrimp, I usually ask for a double portion of beef on the Farewell dinner night when they have the Surf 'n Turf offering.  If it is the formal night Surf n' Turf offering with beef tenderloin and lobster tail, I might ask for two lobster tails.

24 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Beef tenderloin (the other name for filet mignon

That is wrong. 

Filet Mignon is a cut taken from beef tenderloin,  and is a superior piece of meat.  

On 3/24/2023 at 5:30 PM, wowzz said:

That is wrong. 

Filet Mignon is a cut taken from beef tenderloin,  and is a superior piece of meat.  

🤣🤣 Okay, if you want to look at it this way.  I usually stop cutting filets when I get towards the portion for chateaubriand.  Beef tenderloin is the primal cut.

Edited by SiliconCruiser
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:32 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I will generally order the lamb chops at the Crown Grill.  I mentioned to my waiter that I had a not so good experience with the Rib Eye Steak the last time.  FIrst, he told me I should have said something and send it back.  Second, he told me that I should give it a try again, but maybe order it medium rare rather than medium.  Spot on.  It was flavorful and tender.  But I did miss my lamb chops.  

I always order my rib-eye mine medium rare. Still no luck 😞 . I think the quality of meat they are getting is just so low.

I find the fillet flavorless so don't order that. It doesn't matter to me if it is tender if it has no flavor.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 4:54 PM, kjg46 said:

We will have a family cruise on the Enchanted Princess this summer. One of our dining options would have us making reservations for seven adults at the Crown Grill. From the reviews I have read it seems the Crown Grill food is lacking not only on the Enchanted but also on the Regal and the Royal. Would Sabatini's be a better choice?

Based on our cruise in 2018 in the Crown Princess I would have said 'no don't bother.' But after going along with some friends to Crown Grill on Sky Princess last month I'd say it's a 'don't miss.' The meal was honestly better than Sabatini's which is usually my favorite restaurant on a Princess ship. Very thankful our friends encouraged us to come along with them. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 12:30 PM, melodyina said:

I just booked Sabatinis - $35 for Sabatinis and Crown Grill was listed at $39.

This would be on the Caribbean Princess. 

I booked them both.. at first it was numbing (as I"m paying for 4) and you don't have the option for OBC usage at time of booking early.  We sail in July, and reserved for 4 at 7pm for each restaurant a couple days apart.   I've never spent this much even going out for dinner locally.. but oh well.. i'm excited and it will be a great experience (as the main dining rooms have certainly changed..)  'it is what it is' and i'm sure it will be a lasting memory, and hopefully a great photo too.  🙂

Edited by melodyina

4 hours ago, sammyjoanne said:

Just been to crown grill last night. Had the filet, the bisque and crème brûlée cheesecake, all were superb again. 

Why are there piles of salt and pepper next to the steak...shouldn't they put that on the steak before cooking it?

Just now, Coral said:

I always order my rib-eye mine medium rare. Still no luck 😞 . I think the quality of meat they are getting is just so low.

I find the fillet flavorless so don't order that. It doesn't matter to me if it is tender if it has no flavor.

greetings. are you saying that you feel that the rib eye or sirloin or whatever variety of red meat in the MDR that is being offered that night is consistently just as good as the crown grill filet?   

Just now, sammyjoanne said:

Just been to crown grill last night. Had the filet, the bisque and crème brûlée cheesecake, all were superb again. 

C5794D43-3355-4348-A569-CD722C2C9BBD.jpeg

9DB20A64-D902-4259-B2AD-98E0EC473011.jpeg

6EA61357-2BFC-4C48-8BEF-966D2D389D1C.jpeg

do you feel the cheesecake in the crown is better than all of the desserts you get in the other included areas