thermal spa ask

Eldy90066

hmmm..... im wondering if its because  of being on a ship and possible rocking a bit med ocean -- that could make you (any human in a jacuzzi in middle of the ocean) rock a bit more.... now im getting ginger dramamine..

If you are thinking about booking the thermal suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam you should do so online before you start your cruise.  The cost for the thermal suite pass for our cruise was $149 per person pre-cruise but booking on board the cost increases to $50 per person per day.  Likewise for all spa treatments and drink packages - everything is significantly less expensive when booked pre-cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

So the current rate is $149 per person for a 7 day cruise if you pre-book?

Yes - currently on Eurodam  - prebooked at $149 and have not been double charged. If that happens, the soa will very quickly adjust it if you show it to them; they can't see that has happened, so won't know to adjust unless you show it to them.

As for discounts, Thermal Spa is not discounted for prebooing like other services are. But if book additional services, yhey will adjust the price for it down to $100. Not all services qualify,  so be sure to ask.

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in Aug out of Amsterdam.  I too would like to book the Thermal package.  I was hoping for some sort of "10% off" sale or similar pre-booking, but I guess they just don't discount it. 

Remember, if you will have OnBoard Credit $s you can only use that on board. Prebooking will have to be paid for on your credit card when purchased. 

Although the R class ships, Volendam and Zaandam, don’t have the big, snazzy centrally located hydro pool, they do have a jacuzzi size mineral water hot tub, along with the heated loungers, steam room, aroma therapy showers, and a beautiful sea view including from the jacuzzi. Enjoy!  
Maureen 

54 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in Aug out of Amsterdam.  I too would like to book the Thermal package.  I was hoping for some sort of "10% off" sale or similar pre-booking, but I guess they just don't discount it. 

Buy gift cards from AARP and use those to pay for your spa package. There is your 10% discount!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The spa is managed by an outside vendor, so pricing and discounts are not up to HAL to decide.

I think this vendor does all mainstream cruises.  Confirmed Mandara Spa on NCL is the same company as the Lotus Spa on Princess.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:23 AM, funntheson said:

Buy gift cards from AARP and use those to pay for your spa package. There is your 10% discount!

What are AARP gift cards and how do they provide a 10% discount?  We are AARP members but are not aware of this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Murray's Pop said:

What are AARP gift cards and how do they provide a 10% discount?  We are AARP members but are not aware of this.

Go to the AARP website. Click on rewards, then all rewards. They sell gift cards at 10% off. There are $100 and $500 denominations. You can buy up to 5 total cards per month. They will be emailed to you within minutes. When you check out on the HAL site, the first payment option on the top of the page is gift cards. You can apply as many as you need. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, funntheson said:

Go to the AARP website. Click on rewards, then all rewards. They sell gift cards at 10% off. There are $100 and $500 denominations. You can buy up to 5 total cards per month. They will be emailed to you within minutes. When you check out on the HAL site, the first payment option on the top of the page is gift cards. You can apply as many as you need. 

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

• Like 2

We stopped booking the thermal spa because unfortunately we began to see people act like some do with deck chairs.   They get in the spa or on the thermal chaises and simply won't leave.   On a Panama Canal cruise prior to COVID, we witnessed two guys nearly come to blows before the staff intervened.    The thermal suite is amazing, but it's not worth it to have to fight people to get access to the amenities.   If they went back to some sort of limits for length of stay, we'd definitely sign up again.   

Agree that some people need to do a better job of "self policing" and honoring the honor system. This week, I am on Eurodam in AK. There has only been 1 time where I wasn't able to get a ceramic chair. There were a few people noticeably sleeping (not napping); I went to the hydro pool and when I returned to the chairs, I was able to get one. The sleepers were still 😴...they may have had to wake them up when they closed. Not once has the pool been full. I am working on a neck/shoulder thing, so I feel fortunate it worked out this week.

In fact, I just returned from there and was treated to a nice dolphin show while I was in the chair - neither napping nor sleeping. 🤗

Not sure what the fix is, but agree the system is flawed. But I do enjoy having (and using) a thermal pass.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 1:35 AM, queen_kathy1 said:

tagging onto this thread... i'll be on the 14-day NS Best of Norway sailing this July.  The pre-booking offer is 7-day thermal spa access for $149.  There is no 14-day option available.  Does this sound right?

Building onto my original question i quoted above, i'd like to book the 7 days for the second leg of my cruise but the option only exists for embarkation day.  I haven't had a chance yet to call HA to see if they can accommodate my pre-booking for week 2, anyone know if they'll do this?

On 5/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, queen_kathy1 said:

Building onto my original question i quoted above, i'd like to book the 7 days for the second leg of my cruise but the option only exists for embarkation day.  I haven't had a chance yet to call HA to see if they can accommodate my pre-booking for week 2, anyone know if they'll do this?

Kathy - my recent experience (Nov/Dec '22, Feb '23 & May '23) on 3 different HAL ships (KO, NA, Eurodam) is if you have 2 separate booking numbers (so the 14 days is really 2- 7 day B2B) they will not let you book the 2nd week Thermal Spa. On each of these, I let the spa mgr know I was on for 2 weeks and very much wanted to add the 2nd week before the spots were all taken. All 3 times I was told to come in early on turnaround day to get on the list and get my sticker. In Feb on NA, she had me come in Sat evening before they closed and added it herself as a presale, but I had to go in the next day to officially get on the list and get the sticker. BTW - that trip it did show on the onboard statement as a purchase during the first week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingnacious said:

We are booked on a 14 day cruise in September. We can only buy a 7 day thermal suite package. Does anyone know if it can be spread out over the 14 days or do you have to use it 7 days in a row? Thx!

It's only good for the 7 day period it covers - you'll have to purchase another one for the other 7 days.

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It's only good for the 7 day period it covers - you'll have to purchase another one for the other 7 days.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was what it would be, but was really hoping we could spread it out.

On 5/16/2023 at 6:09 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Kathy - my recent experience (Nov/Dec '22, Feb '23 & May '23) on 3 different HAL ships (KO, NA, Eurodam) is if you have 2 separate booking numbers (so the 14 days is really 2- 7 day B2B) they will not let you book the 2nd week Thermal Spa. On each of these, I let the spa mgr know I was on for 2 weeks and very much wanted to add the 2nd week before the spots were all taken. All 3 times I was told to come in early on turnaround day to get on the list and get my sticker. In Feb on NA, she had me come in Sat evening before they closed and added it herself as a presale, but I had to go in the next day to officially get on the list and get the sticker. BTW - that trip it did show on the onboard statement as a purchase during the first week.

Thanks for this insight!  I only have one booking number for the 14 day sailing.  While others may be buying one week increment cruises, ours is the 14 day sailing.  It's curious why they won't open up the ability to book either the first or second week or allow one booking for 14 days.   i guess they want to give more people the opportunity to purchase spa access and just upon availability on board, be able to book more.

What is the Hydro pool area like? Does it play spa music or anything relaxing? Is it the type of place you would feel comfortable in just relaxing and reading for an hour or two after getting out? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Grandma7 said:

What is the Hydro pool area like? Does it play spa music or anything relaxing? Is it the type of place you would feel comfortable in just relaxing and reading for an hour or two after getting out? Thanks.

It's a great place to relax. There is soft music playing in the room with the heated loungers (note that the two R class ships have the heated loungers in the room with the jacuzzi, not in a separate room). There are very nice loungers and chairs in the hydropool room, but I don't recall music. I love it in there when nobody is in the pool and the only sound is the gentle sloshing of the water as the ship moves. 

• Like 1