MIAMI CRUISE PORT

OH-IO Cruiser

Forgive me for asking, I searched and couldn't find anything - Miami hotel suggestions that include long term parking and/or transportation to POM while cruising?

Leaving April 1 and need to get this little detail booked.  Don't really want to pay the $26/day parking at the port.

Thanks much!!!

I don't know exactly how much you plan on saving, parking costs anyplace in MIami.  Maybe you can save $5.00 a day, but you are going to pay more for the hotel night to get that savings.  Parking is part of the cost of going on a cruise.  Something just accept it, and enjoy.

• Like 2

Are you driving a rental car to MIA? Your own vehicle? Assuming by your screen name, you’re from out of town and need a hotel either way. Asking because if it’s a rental, might be cheaper to rent 1 way, stay at hotel a little outside of downtown Miami, drop rental at airport and then ride share to the port.

If it’s your own vehicle, I’d still advise staying away from places near Port of Miami in a hotel if $$$ is a concern and parking at the port. It’s safe, convenient, and you’re still most likely coming out ahead not staying in a hotel with stay and park. There are articles on line of what hotels have free shuttles to the port, while some others charge. 

Edited to add that hotels that Friday night aren’t cheap by any means so parking at the port is definitely the way to go to save $$.

Edited by SV1432

Parking at the Miami Terminals (POM) is so convenient.  If you dig deep into your pocket and pay for the convenience, you'll be glad you did.  And like stated, after paying the price for a hotel that also gives long-term parking and then possibly transportation from the hotel to the port, you're better off with the POM parking option.  JMHO

• Like 1

I despise paying to park -- anywhere.  

Having said that, be sure to compare total cost to total cost; that is, include the cost of a taxi or Uber to the terminal.  

Personally, we usually bite the bullet and pay the huge cost of parking at the port -- mostly because we have an all-day drive ahead of us when we leave the ship, and we like to hit the road right away.  Walking straight to our car is fast, and that has to count for something.  

• Like 2

I have a similar situation, but I'm more curious about suggestions for hotels. Didn't think about the fact that I'm sailing during spring break and some of the hotels are ridiculously priced. Can anyone chime in on good places to stay? Is the airport area okay? Just staying the night before our cruise. Had already decided to suck it up and park at the port.

3 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

I have a similar situation, but I'm more curious about suggestions for hotels. Didn't think about the fact that I'm sailing during spring break and some of the hotels are ridiculously priced. Can anyone chime in on good places to stay? Is the airport area okay? Just staying the night before our cruise. Had already decided to suck it up and park at the port.

I went to Expedia site and found some Hampton Inn hotels with high ratings

and decent prices with free breakfast included.

3 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

We stop in Fort Lauderdale -- hotel prices tend to be better.  The drive to the port is something like 45 minutes, which we find acceptable.  

Side note:  Be aware that Royal sails from two different terminals in Miami.  We just assumed that all Royal ships sail from the big, new terminal -- but, no.  Explorer sails from an older terminal.  

7 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

If I was a South Florida hotelier I would say that hotels in March are not 'ridiculously priced.'  Rather it is a very simple example of supply and demand. 

That said, the Blue Lagoon area comes highly recommended on this board.  The large hotel chains have a presences there.

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

If I was a South Florida hotelier I would say that hotels in March are not 'ridiculously priced.'  Rather it is a very simple example of supply and demand. 

That said, the Blue Lagoon area comes highly recommended on this board.  The large hotel chains have a presences there.

Based on the sheer quantity of rooms available, I would have to disagree.

I wasn't familiar with the Blue Lagoon area, so I will check that out.  Thanks

33 minutes ago, Candleonwater said:

Based on the sheer quantity of rooms available, I would have to disagree.

Then maybe the prices will go down?  I wouldn't count on it since spring break is when hotels make their big profits (come back in the heat of summer and the room will be more than $100 less because there is minimal demand). You could reserve something now that you can cancel a day or two before check-in but keep looking for reductions in prices until then. 

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

...  You could reserve something now that you can cancel a day or two before check-in but keep looking for reductions in prices until then. 

This is good advice.  Reserve something now (something that can be cancelled) and hope for a better price.  If you don't do this, you may end up with only the $$$$$ places available for your one-night stay.  

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I'd stop for the night like an hour from the port. Hotels will be a fraction of the price. Even with a 10am arrival time you wouldn't leave hotel until 9am.

Then park at port

An hour from the port would be Fort Lauderdale and its close in suburbs. We are inundated with spring breakers and the hotel rooms are also expensive in March. 

22 hours ago, Candleonwater said:

look for hotels away from the beaches. Even if you get a decent rate somewhere you may find yourself in the midst of an all night party - the students know about the “cheap” hotels too!

Miami Airport, Doral, Miami executive airport is further away but decent rates, Hollywood, West Ft Lauderdale, etc!! 

Edited by SteerageJoe

Schedule looks like this: pick up DD's boyfriend at the airport at 7pm, drop them off in South Beach, head to hotel, pick them up in the morning and head to port.

Is driving back to the airport area just a headache, only to have to return in the morning? I don't know why I'm stressing so much, it's not like me (at least not when it comes to hotels).

On 3/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, orville99 said:

Looking for a Miami hotel close to the port that provides shuttle service to the port or a short cab ride. Will be coming in by train the night before, so parking is not an issue.

Very few hotels offer shuttles. Anything in Downtown Miami or Brickell is a short ride to the port. 

• Thanks 1