LIVE REPORT from Riviera - NEVER AGAIN!

brobin111

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

brobin111 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Embarked for an 11day on Riviera for 3 days in Bermuda as the main attraction - and only reason we booked. Got to the terminal only to be told we're not going to Bermuda due to rough seas and instead we'll sail around in circles for a couple of days and go to Jacksonville, FL instead. That's the best they can do and if you don't like it - don't go and lose your money.  By contract they have the right to do that but on every other cruise we've been on with other lines they offer some kind of compensation and/or amenities for missing a port. Not Oceania though! They're too busy complaining that they have to pay more for fuel and told me flat out that their head office doesn't think the guests should get anything for the inconvenience and disappointment.  

So we went to Nassau as scheduled and then after spending two sea days to go 60 miles we were supposed to stop at Grand Stirrup Cay as an alternate. NOPE. The tender operator there said the sea was too rough so we pulled up anchor for another sea day and now we're headed for TWO days in beautiful downtown Jacksonville which is known for, well, nothing.  Nothing to see, nothing to do - just wander around.  

Now, I understand that they're at the mercy of the weather, but when things like this have happened to us on other lines - notably Azamara - they've offered to let us cancel and get an FCC for the full amount or offered a partial FCC or other perks if you do go.  Even missing a single port day usually gets an open bar for the day although that's not something we care about.  IOW, most lines have your back and do something as a matter of good customer relations to leave you feeling that they care and want to earn your future business.  I was told by staff that customer goodwill is NOT an Oceania priority at the head office.

We have 3 Vista suites booked on the Riviera for an Asia cruise next year that we will cancel because we just don't trust Oceania anymore.

• Like 7

Wow…that is truly sad.  You certainly sound like a reasonable person who understands the legalities of the cruise contract, and the fortunes of weather and sea conditions. 
So yes, I agree that in your case, Oceania should have done more for you, than what they apparently did.  It is somewhat surprising to me, as well,

What is more surprising, is the on board staff telling you that the head office doesn’t consider customer goodwill a priority.  Sounds like the staff are tired of answering complaints and want you to spare them, and address the head office directly.

I hope this treatment is not the result of the heavy debt NCLH is in…

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brobin111 said:

Embarked for an 11day on Riviera for 3 days in Bermuda as the main attraction - and only reason we booked. Got to the terminal only to be told we're not going to Bermuda due to rough seas and instead we'll sail around in circles for a couple of days and go to Jacksonville, FL instead. That's the best they can do and if you don't like it - don't go and lose your money.  By contract they have the right to do that but on every other cruise we've been on with other lines they offer some kind of compensation and/or amenities for missing a port. Not Oceania though! They're too busy complaining that they have to pay more for fuel and told me flat out that their head office doesn't think the guests should get anything for the inconvenience and disappointment.  

So we went to Nassau as scheduled and then after spending two sea days to go 60 miles we were supposed to stop at Grand Stirrup Cay as an alternate. NOPE. The tender operator there said the sea was too rough so we pulled up anchor for another sea day and now we're headed for TWO days in beautiful downtown Jacksonville which is known for, well, nothing.  Nothing to see, nothing to do - just wander around.  

Now, I understand that they're at the mercy of the weather, but when things like this have happened to us on other lines - notably Azamara - they've offered to let us cancel and get an FCC for the full amount or offered a partial FCC or other perks if you do go.  Even missing a single port day usually gets an open bar for the day although that's not something we care about.  IOW, most lines have your back and do something as a matter of good customer relations to leave you feeling that they care and want to earn your future business.  I was told by staff that customer goodwill is NOT an Oceania priority at the head office.

We have 3 Vista suites booked on the Riviera for an Asia cruise next year that we will cancel because we just don't trust Oceania anymore.

Aloha. Sorry but this is not the time of year to go to Bermuda. I totally understand your frustration but part of being a world traveler such as yourself is to know not only where you are going but weather, political conditions. That said, I fault Oceania for even scheduling a call to Bermuda this time of year especially three days! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

I hope this treatment is not the result of the heavy debt NCLH is in…

WOW! You get the prize. That is exactly what this is. They are hurting badly. If you think Oceania is doing badly here, you should hear the complaints from long-time NCL cruisers.

8 hours ago, brobin111 said:

Email.    guestrelationsoci@oceaniacruises.com

I would copy and paste this post and send.  Even if they do nothing,  you know that Miami did hear this.  You might be surprised. 

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Thinking further about your post…I am wondering if you have indeed contacted the head office to see if they could do anything for you, or just accepted what you were told on board?

Oh yes, our cruise agent is working on that and we will be sending a letter directly as well. 

Cancelled ports are part of the game. Happens to all lines. People who cannot accept it shouldn't travel. 

The only line who provide us compensation for cancelled ports was SS, as a gesture of goodwill. They owe you nothing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Cancelled ports are part of the game. Happens to all lines. People who cannot accept it shouldn't travel. 

The only line who provide us compensation for cancelled ports was SS, as a gesture of goodwill. They owe you nothing.

Yes, as you read in my initial post, we know and accept that they don't HAVE to do anything contractually.  Still, it's a matter of creating and retaining customer goodwill. We have been cruising for over 20 years and have had to divert a number of times. In EVERY case, the cruise lines have made some tangible gesture of goodwill up to and including allowing cancellation with a full FCC. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

Yes, as you read in my initial post, we know and accept that they don't HAVE to do anything contractually.  Still, it's a matter of creating and retaining customer goodwill. We have been cruising for over 20 years and have had to divert a number of times. In EVERY case, the cruise lines have made some tangible gesture of goodwill up to and including allowing cancellation with a full FCC. 

There are huge gaps between how guests are treated by the head offices and how they are treated on board. This is true for all cruise lines - just read some posts on SS board.

If every time I was mistreated by the head office I said "NEVER AGAIN", I would be running out of cruise lines very quickly. Just accept it that this is the current situation and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

We were on the sailing right before yours. The cruise director mentioned (before they made that decision to change itinerary) that they were expecting 20+ foot seas on the crossing to Bermuda. That would not be fun. That said I understand your frustration. I doubt the attitude of the head office is what you were told. For what it's worth, the staff at the guest services desk was not helpful or knowledgable about much at all.

18 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

Sorry, but I don't make things up. I was as surprised as you are.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation. It beggars belief that staff onboard a cruise ship would badmouth the company right in front of you. I assume you took their names down and reported them? That's what I would do, that would be utterly unprofessional behavior on their part.

1 hour ago, brobin111 said:

Oh yes, our cruise agent is working on that and we will be sending a letter directly as well. 

As I do not know to whom you will sending a letter directly, may I suggest that you address them to FDR and FDR Jr.  My experience has been that bringing problems and concerns to the attention of CEOs, i.e., cutting thru the bureaucratic layers below, heightens the chances for a substantive response and some resolution.

If you write to customer relations, you should get an automated confirmation of receipt and that they will answer emails in the order received.  They will respond.

9 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

If you write to customer relations, you should get an automated confirmation of receipt and that they will answer emails in the order received.  They will respond.

Thanks, that's exactly what happened.

4 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

As I do not know to whom you will sending a letter directly, may I suggest that you address them to FDR and FDR Jr.  My experience has been that bringing problems and concerns to the attention of CEOs, i.e., cutting thru the bureaucratic layers below, heightens the chances for a substantive response and some resolution.

I will do that but first, who are FDR & FDR Jr.?

3 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

Thanks, that's exactly what happened.

Took about 3 weeks to get a reply but i think they were swamped with emails from all the unhappy people on our cruise.  Also have your TA call.

9 hours ago, hmorrow said:

I’m from Jacksonville, and you don't really

want to wander around downtown!

Good  day trips would be to St Augustine, Fl, and Fernandina Beach…..

Figured that out today after our shuttle from the ship to downtown…..immediate drop off are was fine….just nothing to do?  But a couple of blocks over and we turned around really quickly….needless to say we will stay onboard and miss our SECOND day in Jacksonville……plus it is supposed to rain.  We can’t seem to catch a break weather wise…..

2 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

Figured that out today after our shuttle from the ship to downtown…..immediate drop off are was fine….just nothing to do?  But a couple of blocks over and we turned around really quickly….needless to say we will stay onboard and miss our SECOND day in Jacksonville……plus it is supposed to rain.  We can’t seem to catch a break weather wise…..

Tomorrow the shuttle will drop of at the art festival by the river instead and there is a tour to St. Augustine that we're taking just to get off the ship. Downtown is eerily devoid of people... like a ghost town almost.