Travel Insurance

ashkay16

4 minutes ago, ashkay16 said:

Looking to get insurance and seems through NCL very pricey and coverage seems mediocre at best  .  Any recommendations?

Lots of great info and recommendations on the Travel/Insurance forum located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 3

I highly recommend contacting Steve at the Trip Insurance Store.  He (and his staff) are very knowledgeable about cruise insurance and will ask you questions about what you want for coverage that you may not have even thought about.  I always buy our insurance through him.  He a frequent contributor to the Travel Insurance forum on this site.

• Like 7

I've read that you shouldnt get your travel insurance through the same company you booked your travel through.   I'm Medicare so medical coverage is what I need (I have some through my supplement but not enough)  I heard Geoblue (I think that's the name) is good for that

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ashkay16 said:

Thank you for all the help !!

We also use Steve at www.TripInsuranceStore.com ever since we learned about him here on CC.

But *CALL* him/them to discuss your questions about travel insurance.  Don't just rely upon online summaries.  There is no way to learn all the details of the fine print, and one "miss" could cause a claim to be denied.

When you speak with them, they'll not only answer your questions, but chances are good that while listening to you, they'll also then ask you some questions to further help them help you find the best policy for your needs.

They do not "upsell".  Indeed, one experience we'll never forget was after speaking with him to purchase another policy for the "next trip".  Suddenly Steve asked a question, based upon his understanding (and memory!) of our previous discussions and also our claims.  He then said that he did not think we needed to purchase any travel insurance for that trip, and then he explained why.  We discussed it, and... he was correct:  for that particular trip, we did *not* need travel insurance!

He could so easily have sold us a policy again and we'd never have realized.  But he didn't!

Also note that some types of coverages are time sensitive, and there may be a window about 10-20 days (state specific) after the very *first* payment to get the best choice of coverages.  If you miss that, there are still good policies, but at least one type of coverage won't be available (or not from a reputable insurer).

They are very patient, including with newbie questions.  That's how many of us learned, after all...

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

I've read that you shouldnt get your travel insurance through the same company you booked your travel through.   I'm Medicare so medical coverage is what I need (I have some through my supplement but not enough)  I heard Geoblue (I think that's the name) is good for that

I purchased a GeoBlue policy recommendation from Steve’s office.    
151.00 for the year. With 500k medical and 250k for emergency evac.  
for around 250.00 you can get double the coverage  

I got this policy after reading on cc about a man and his wife’s situation in Africa when she was hit by a car.    
I had already had ships ins.    But got this as an umbrella after the fact and hearing this story.   
cheap enough that it didn’t dot her me to buy.   

40 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I purchased a GeoBlue policy recommendation from Steve’s office.    
151.00 for the year. With 500k medical and 250k for emergency evac.  
for around 250.00 you can get double the coverage  

I got this policy after reading on cc about a man and his wife’s situation in Africa when she was hit by a car.    
I had already had ships ins.    But got this as an umbrella after the fact and hearing this story.   
cheap enough that it didn’t dot her me to buy.   

If that situation in Africa is the one I'm thinking of, it was sort of a "worst perfect storm" situation.  Just freaky.  They had insurance, but as usual, from overseas, providers often don't/can't "bill" the insurer.   That's why one keeps some high limit charge cards.  But at least at first, there was no way to process anything by charge card, and it was a weekend or such, so they couldn't even get started with some of the emergency (!) plans.  They were in a very remote location, and had trouble reaching anyone with limited outside access.  [I may have some of the specifics slightly wrong, but this captures the essence of what they went through.]

Given what happened, she/they are remarkably lucky that she survived as well as she did (although I haven't read a recent report)... or that she survived at all!

But yes, once they were able to get different levels on contact, they sure made use of the medivac!

I can't even begin to imagine being in their situation.  Chances are SO unlikely that something like that would happen at all, never mind in such a remote location... but very occasionally... they do...

😱

And they did end up using the various insurance coverages they had, but not as promptly as one would have expected, alas.

A real nightmare.

(Do you have an update about how she is doing?  I don't remember the link.)

GC

• Like 1

I paid for my trip with a Chase Sapphire card which has travel insurance included.  It looks pretty comprehensive and covers up to 20K trip cancellation. 

I think that should be enough coverage, but I am wondering if I need more than that?

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

If that situation in Africa is the one I'm thinking of, it was sort of a "worst perfect storm" situation.  Just freaky.  They had insurance, but as usual, from overseas, providers often don't/can't "bill" the insurer.   That's why one keeps some high limit charge cards.  But at least at first, there was no way to process anything by charge card, and it was a weekend or such, so they couldn't even get started with some of the emergency (!) plans.  They were in a very remote location, and had trouble reaching anyone with limited outside access.  [I may have some of the specifics slightly wrong, but this captures the essence of what they went through.]

Given what happened, she/they are remarkably lucky that she survived as well as she did (although I haven't read a recent report)... or that she survived at all!

But yes, once they were able to get different levels on contact, they sure made use of the medivac!

I can't even begin to imagine being in their situation.  Chances are SO unlikely that something like that would happen at all, never mind in such a remote location... but very occasionally... they do...

😱

And they did end up using the various insurance coverages they had, but not as promptly as one would have expected, alas.

A real nightmare.

(Do you have an update about how she is doing?  I don't remember the link.)

GC

Yes I think you’re thinking about the exact situation  

evac from the remote area was like 34k.    And then another 60k? To the us.  And they wanted cash for everything medical.  He had to have family wire funds I think.   He also had everything posted in his Blog.  Wish I could find it.     No info.    
but I thought for the 151.00 it’s worth the cost for a year.   
I also brought about 50k in credit cards with me. Lolol.  I don’t have a single card over 20k.   Lol. 

6 minutes ago, golden6911 said:

I paid for my trip with a Chase Sapphire card which has travel insurance included.  It looks pretty comprehensive and covers up to 20K trip cancellation. 

I think that should be enough coverage, but I am wondering if I need more than that?

And what does that card cost you a year ?      
I only have one card with a annual fee and that’s my AA card.    60.00.   
some people that card works for.  Some not.   

13 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

And what does that card cost you a year ?      
I only have one card with a annual fee and that’s my AA card.    60.00.   
some people that card works for.  Some not.   

Cost about $550.  While that sounds high, it more than pays for itself.  Start with a $300 travel refund annually.  Then there is the travel insurance coverage.  For example, last year I paid for a cruise for four on my card.  Any idea what cancellation insurance for four in the Haven costs?

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I use GeoBlue to supplement my insurance.  I really don't need it since I have Tricare for Life but it makes the wife feel better.  I alway charge travel expenses to my Chase Reserve Card.  Between the two, I'm fairly well covered.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Cost about $550.  While that sounds high, it more than pays for itself.  Start with a $300 travel refund annually.  Then there is the travel insurance coverage.  For example, last year I paid for a cruise for four on my card.  Any idea what cancellation insurance for four in the Haven costs?

I'm of like mind with @RocketMan275.  The insurance seems broad enough given the itineraries and excursions we choose and our relative health.

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don’t have the deep pockets for that card or the haven.  
for the price of haven I cruise 3-4 other cruise for same price.    
not knocking it.    Just I didn’t do as good as others.  Lol 

my retirement fixed income only goes so far without tapping into my portfolio.  Lololol.   

Talking to an expert is a good idea and they would/should know any specifics for different countries.

as I’m in Ireland our travel insurance providers offer Europe only / Worldwide excluding USA / worldwide including USA and we can have the price reduced if you have personal health insurance as long as that policy has a certain threshold for overseas coverage. And they also ask about pre-existing conditions and what level of medical intervention those have needed in the past. E.g. I’m asthmatic but have never been hospitalised by it so my premium didn’t get increased.

My father fell ill on a sailing holiday in the Greek islands and had to be airlifted to Athens, unfortunately he passed away (aneurysm) but it was his health insurance that took care of everything, so much so that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to claim a couple of hundred € from the travel insurance afterwards. 

On my recent trip on the Joy I took a chance and went with my medicare supplement foreign country insurance. 5 days on the ship and only 2 of them on land (Cabos and Encinada) I have some chronic health issues but well controlled. Well, I was walking in Todos Santos with Margarita in hand and didnt notice there was a slightly raised edge on the sidewalk which my foot caught on. Somehow I saved myself from face planting (lost some of my Margarita) and afterwards realized I could easily have broken my ankle or foot. You never know.   Its humbling to find travel insurance companies who wont insurance travelers over 50 yrs old (World Nomads, there might be others)

Edited by Smitheroo
added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I don’t have the deep pockets for that card or the haven.  
for the price of haven I cruise 3-4 other cruise for same price.    
not knocking it.    Just I didn’t do as good as others.  Lol 

my retirement fixed income only goes so far without tapping into my portfolio.  Lololol.   

I  understand.  We choose to book one cruise in the Haven instead of 3-4 cruises elsewhere for one simple reason.  We limit ourselves to one one-week cruise per year because we don't want to put our two dogs into boarding for more time than that.  If we didn't have the dogs, we probably would book more, less expensive cruises.  We really have two budgets for our cruises. One is how much we can spend.  The other is how long we can be gone. 

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

Not sure this will help anyone, but I decide on the travel insurance based on the trip. For instance, we have 2 driving to nearby states vacations I'm not bothering to insure, since our health insurance and car insurance will cover everything and the hotels are refundable.

For the New England/Canada cruise out of NYC, I got a tiny bit of Basics Travel medical insurance to cover me for the 2 days in Canada and At Sea day. The entire trip will only cost $1500, so not worth spending much to insure it.

For the big expensive going to Hawaii and doing Pride of America, I got Preferred coverage, with like $500,000 evac stuff, natural disaster coverage and even a quarantine rider, just in case.

After some research, I went with AIG Travel Guard, whom I have used in the past. 

9 hours ago, ashkay16 said:

Get travel insurance through NCL or 

not 

@ashkay16 I am so happy you took the time to ask this question.  If you would have asked the question 5 years ago I would have answered it differently than today.  I look at buying Cruise Travel Insurance in the same category as whether to buy the cruise lines airfare and excursions.  

In all three cases there are Pro's and Con's.  I will keep my answer to the topic of cruise insurance.  I never purchased cruise insurance until three years ago.  I would say, "I am just going to toss the dice."  Then for what ever reason, I purchased cruise insurance from an online insurance company.  That cruise I used it to the toon of $4,000.00.  My wife got covid 8 days before the cruise and we had to cancel the cruise.  Am I glad I purchased this coverage.  The communication with the Travel Insurance Company and added coverage with my American Express Platinum card was seamless. 

Now, I am sure my recommendation to always buy travel insurance is confirmed.  On to should we buy it from NCL or a Cruise Brand or from an Insurance Company.  I check the prices and they are similar for the same coverages.  Then I read reviews which indicated it was much easer to put in a claim when you went directly with the insurance company then ANY cruise brand which sends you to the Insurance Company anyway.  My real issue was the details.  I found the answers to my questions much more clear with the Insurance Companies than the cruise brands.  

My conclusion was, cruse brands are the best at cruises. Not Airfare, not excursions, and not at travel insurance.  Book our own flight, look at the best rated excursions companies that guarantee you back on the ship on time, and book your travel insurance directly with a travel insurance company. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@ashkay16 I am so happy you took the time to ask this question.  If you would have asked the question 5 years ago I would have answered it differently than today.  I look at buying Cruise Travel Insurance in the same category as whether to buy the cruise lines airfare and excursions.  

In all three cases there are Pro's and Con's.  I will keep my answer to the topic of cruise insurance.  I never purchased cruise insurance until three years ago.  I would say, "I am just going to toss the dice."  Then for what ever reason, I purchased cruise insurance from an online insurance company.  That cruise I used it to the toon of $4,000.00.  My wife got covid 8 days before the cruise and we had to cancel the cruise.  Am I glad I purchased this coverage.  The communication with the Travel Insurance Company and added coverage with my American Express Platinum card was seamless. 

Now, I am sure my recommendation to always buy travel insurance is confirmed.  On to should we buy it from NCL or a Cruise Brand or from an Insurance Company.  I check the prices and they are similar for the same coverages.  Then I read reviews which indicated it was much easer to put in a claim when you went directly with the insurance company then ANY cruise brand which sends you to the Insurance Company anyway.  My real issue was the details.  I found the answers to my questions much more clear with the Insurance Companies than the cruise brands.  

My conclusion was, cruse brands are the best at cruises. Not Airfare, not excursions, and not at travel insurance.  Book our own flight, look at the best rated excursions companies that guarantee you back on the ship on time, and book your travel insurance directly with a travel insurance company. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Wow.  Great review of insurance.     Can you say who you used or use.    

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I  understand.  We choose to book one cruise in the Haven instead of 3-4 cruises elsewhere for one simple reason.  We limit ourselves to one one-week cruise per year because we don't want to put our two dogs into boarding for more time than that.  If we didn't have the dogs, we probably would book more, less expensive cruises.  We really have two budgets for our cruises. One is how much we can spend.  The other is how long we can be gone. 

Totally get it.   I have a new kitten and had a cat b4.   But they are so much easier. 
im a very simple traveler. But love to travel.     Lol.   
I just did a 29 day 3 cruise line trip and glad I had a killer cat sitter.     Wasn’t planing on the kitten Lolol.   

As for the OP original question.      I’d definitely call Steve and explain your needs.