Soundtrack on TV Movies to quiet

harbourside

I do not have a hearing problem, but I found watching a movie in our room on our recent Viking Cruise frustrating.  Some were just to quiet.

The maximum volume seems to be preset.  I could not find any way to add subtitles.   Any way to overcome this.

We had the same experience on Viking Venus last month. It would make sense to have a CC option on the stateroom TV. I made that suggestion on the mid-cruise survey but was told that would have to be done fleet-wide. There was no easy solution.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

We had the same experience on Viking Venus last month. It would make sense to have a CC option on the stateroom TV. I made that suggestion on the mid-cruise survey but was told that would have to be done fleet-wide. There was no easy solution.

Agree!  I put in the feedback that Viking should add Closed Caption.

We also had the volume as high as it would go.  Had Viking person come and look at it.  He said, whether true or not, that they have implemented a max volume due to so many complaints from people that passengers in adjoining cabins were blasting their TV's so loud (probably lots of hard of hearing folks on Viking).   I do remember in our first years with Viking Ocean before COVID, we suffered from neighbors who had the TV too loud, but that's changed in our past cruises.  So maybe it is true.  Makes sense in that regard, but please add closed caption then.

Edited by CCWineLover

21 hours ago, harbourside said:

I do not have a hearing problem, but I found watching a movie in our room on our recent Viking Cruise frustrating.  Some were just to quiet.

The maximum volume seems to be preset.  I could not find any way to add subtitles.   Any way to overcome this.

Nope; they have all the TVs set so that you can only turn the volume up a little, so that the stateroom next door can't hear it. I agree, it's too low, even at full volume.

11 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

The Neptune now has closed captions on the TV.  Thanks, Viking!

Very few programs on the Neptune offer closed captioning.  

We do not have hearing problems and the voice sound track at max volume (37 on our tv) is too low to hear dialogue on any movie or tv show unless you sit max 3feet from the TV.    We didn’t come on a cruise to watch TV, which is good because most tv shows are unwatchable.    

They also record a ‘Viking daily talk’ every day by the cruise director and he often interviews a crew member, but unfortunately we can never hear the crew member's comments.  The tech crew in the Star Theatre is very good, however it’s  amazing that 85 days into ONE cruise, no one on this ship has managed to notice and fix the volume on stateroom TV’s.

The stateroom TVs are most useful for watching and listening to the port talks & the lectures, where the volume levels work just fine.   

• Like 1

Perhaps this is ship dependent (or maybe we're a little less hearing challenged), but we had no problems hearing the TV on Jupiter in Oct'21 or Start this past February. In fact, we made sure to turn down the volume as to not disturb our neighbors at night.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, philw1776 said:

Add us to those who find Viking TV frustrating & unwatchable because of low volume. CC sorely needed.
Admittedly, it was only our last 2 cruises out of many that we attempted to watch TV.

Agree. I noticed that the volume control worked during the live broadcasts but the replays of lectures were unwatchable because they limited the volume. 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:12 PM, formernuke said:

Perhaps this is ship dependent (or maybe we're a little less hearing challenged), but we had no problems hearing the TV on Jupiter in Oct'21 or Start this past February. In fact, we made sure to turn down the volume as to not disturb our neighbors at night.

Same with us on Mars last fall. Admittedly, we don’t have hearing issues. 

Closed captioning and/or the ability to use wireless headphones would be a good solution. Better than cranking up the volume and annoying the neighbors.

• Like 1

Took me a while to work out what CC meant .

Then did not know what closed captions were as

In the UK the term sub titles is used.

This might be useful information for those of you with a UK hotel stay as part of your holiday.

Look for the word SUB on the remote control hand set .

Will not always be available for live broadcast events.

• Like 1