A First Fond Farewell for Odyssey

Flamin_June

Sorry to hear of your experience Markham but not surprised. The three cruises that I have taken post resumption have been similar with cost savings evident across the ships and standards dropping.(Unheated pool, buses filled to capacity, food recycling, stock reductions etc etc)

After the last trip on Odyssey December 22 I let rip in the post cruise questionnaire as you plan to do. Don't hold your breath however the only response I received from Seabourn was a deafening silence. I can only conclude they don' t give a damn what their regular and up to now loyal customers think.

Thank you to all posters who commiserated with ole Markham. He is feeling annoyed about the whole thing but relief is in sight with tomorrow’s disembarkation in Miami.

This cruise has been an eye opener! Some of my thoughts are to shorten cruises on Seabourn to 3-4 weeks maximum; our next long cruise is Sojourn in Feb., 2024 from Sydney to Taipei for 33 days which we booked long ago. It is part of the WC. Standards there will simply have to be better than those here with a more smart, energetic and balanced team ie more experienced, cooperative and enthusiastic HD, F&B Mgr, CD and captain. We will have a sunnier and smart/proven itinerary, no excuses for lack of internet provision and many foods. And the Colonnade lunches we take cannot be cheaper and as limited in scope in a sadder setting than the Quest Colonnade on a bad weather day!

I hasten to add that the crew have been outstanding considering that they too are affected by Internet downage, far fewer ports where they can escape for a few hours onshore with agreeable amenities, and (yes) grumbling passengers. Those outstanding crew will be an highlight of our post-cruise survey! Obviously, they too deserve better circumstances. But they know that the crossing to Lisbon and springtime in Europe is just ahead. 

Also, I am thinking that newer is better. We will go on 2 Venture cruises. One is this June and another next July. We were so delighted by the newish Silversea Dawn last Nov and Dec that it was very easy to book 4 future cruises there. After this Quest cruise it would appear that our choice was very smart.

It is sorta sad but very telling that without a serious team of managers on Quest to deliver/at least try to deliver the goods Seabourn jets in its ship roving experts. Eg Michael Sandoval of TKG fame arrived about 11 days ago to pep up that outlet. He also gave a cooking demonstration in the Grand Salon, our second in this entire cruise, believe it or not. Michael also made excellent pizzas one day (!) at the Patio only. Otherwise he has assisted our executive chef Christophe who arrived a month ago. He too has been excellent. But to me it is waaaay too little and too late. Where was Seattle on 6 January when we set off from Miami anyway?

And what is this about suckling pig at the Odyssey’s Colonnade lunch? Never happened here. And some barbecue by the pool? Ditto- although we did have a pre-prepared ceviche 2 weeks ago at lunch in the Colonnade. I think you’ve got the drift.

So about lunches, we learned about 5 weeks ago to expect little and take advantage of what there is outside the Colonnade’s lunchtime buffet situation. We get a daily printed menu each afternoon of the next day’s MDR likely lunch offerings and either settle for its 2 starters, 2 soups and 3 entrees (up from only 2 as of five weeks ago) or we order at that evening’s MDR dinner special orders. They have gone well, and we thereby sidestep the aggro.

I concur, by the way, about some of our fellow passengers. I will never get over Seabourn’s current no dress standards in the MDR policy. It means that characters in tee shirts, old droopy jeans/trousers, open toed sandals and even backpacks turn up for dinners. It also means that you may have to wear blinders and avoid the louder characters among the crowd. If only we could work out a deal for different dining rooms for these folks.

That is it for now.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Reading this thread with high interest as our first, and second SB cruises rapidly approach.  The positive is we have no SB reference point, so are likely to be impressed by the service that remains, the negative is our expectations were forged in deep Covid when the promises and expectations set by SB were referenced to the pre closure experience.  We would be unlikely to return were there no lunch in the dining room, since we detest the buffet, however "elegant" on the other hand we are unlikely to realize the reduction in offered entree's having no reference point.  

We do question our decision to book two SB cruises in quick succession, retrospectively it would have been far smarter to give just one a try and decide on future loyalty based on experience more than hype.  On the other hand we had our first sailings on O coming out of the shutdown and were powerfully impressed, surely SB has to be even better we thought.  Things like the lack of name recognition and a vastly less number of MDR lunch offerings (or indeed the entire closure of the MDR at lunch) would leave us wondering what we paid a considerable premium for, especially given our limited consumption of alcohol.  

Still, we've elected to keep the planned sailings on Ovation in June and Odyssey in August.  Whether we will from there become repeat SB guests will have everything to do with our experience and perception of value, mind you we can afford to sail SB, the definition of value however is quality of the experience weighed against the price paid.  Seabourn sets high expectations with their pricing.  Here's hoping they exceed for these first timers.  

There have been positive, pre boarding surprises, like the call we received this week from our SB cruise consultant reviewing our cabin bar requests right down to the brand of root beer the Mrs. would prefer - that feels like genuine luxury - but it also sets expectations that the carefully collected details will be delivered onboard.  

Edited by jondfk

2 hours ago, adoctor said:

Sorry to hear of your experience Markham but not surprised. The three cruises that I have taken post resumption have been similar with cost savings evident across the ships and standards dropping.(Unheated pool, buses filled to capacity, food recycling, stock reductions etc etc)

After the last trip on Odyssey December 22 I let rip in the post cruise questionnaire as you plan to do. Don't hold your breath however the only response I received from Seabourn was a deafening silence. I can only conclude they don' t give a damn what their regular and up to now loyal customers think.

We had a poor experience on Odyssey several years years ago. I let rip on the post-cruise questionnaire. The lack of response from Seabourn infuriated me to the extent that I wrote them an actual letter. They responded to the letter kindly explaining that they don't actually reply to the questionnaires! Clearly they still don't.

Edited by Isklaar

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Reading this thread with high interest as our first, and second SB cruises rapidly approach.  The positive is we have no SB reference point, so are likely to be impressed by the service that remains, the negative is our expectations were forged in deep Covid when the promises and expectations set by SB were referenced to the pre closure experience.  We would be unlikely to return were there no lunch in the dining room, since we detest the buffet, however "elegant" on the other hand we are unlikely to realize the reduction in offered entree's having no reference point.  

We do question our decision to book two SB cruises in quick succession, retrospectively it would have been far smarter to give just one a try and decide on future loyalty based on experience more than hype.  On the other hand we had our first sailings on O coming out of the shutdown and were powerfully impressed, surely SB has to be even better we thought.  Things like the lack of name recognition and a vastly less number of MDR lunch offerings (or indeed the entire closure of the MDR at lunch) would leave us wondering what we paid a considerable premium for, especially given our limited consumption of alcohol.  

Still, we've elected to keep the planned sailings on Ovation in June and Odyssey in August.  Whether we will from there become repeat SB guests will have everything to do with our experience and perception of value, mind you we can afford to sail SB, the definition of value however is quality of the experience weighed against the price paid.  Seabourn sets high expectations with their pricing.  Here's hoping they exceed for these first timers.  

There have been positive, pre boarding surprises, like the call we received this week from our SB cruise consultant reviewing our cabin bar requests right down to the brand of root beer the Mrs. would prefer - that feels like genuine luxury - but it also sets expectations that the carefully collected details will be delivered onboard.  

I believe that you presented a very good outline to where we stand as well. We have a second itinerary on our list with Seabourn, but having read all the reviews over the past few months, we decided to hold on booking it until after our May sailing. 
We have not received any positive pre boarding surprises, and we are sailing on Quest, as is Markham. 

Reading Markham’s further updates this morning continues to be worrisome. What is described is quite a far stretch from ‘luxury’. 

10 hours ago, texanaust said:

But the reality is that Seabourn is not really 'doing' lunch in the Restaurant, they are just plating up what is in the Colonade.

That would be a problem for some, but from reading previous posts it seems that many were unhappy that they couldn't have a quiet, served lunch in the Restaurant, as opposed to eating in the busy buffet Colonnade.  Even if the food is the same, the ambiance would be markedly different, which would satisfy some passengers. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

That would be a problem for some, but from reading previous posts it seems that many were unhappy that they couldn't have a quiet, served lunch in the Restaurant, as opposed to eating in the busy buffet Colonnade.  Even if the food is the same, the ambiance would be markedly different, which would satisfy some passengers. 

Not ideal if they are just plating what is available in the Colonnade in the MDR for lunch.  But, like many, I crave a quiet served lunch instead of a busy buffet.  

• Like 2

We sailed Lisbon-Miami transatlantic on Sojourn last November immediately followed by a Caribbean cruise. We are Seabourn veterans (Diamond+) and so I can observe and comment with plenty of experience over the years.

The biggest problem was understaffing and lack of experience. I had a chat with the Hotel Director who confirmed it. Staff in all departments were sometimes spread very thin and so the standard of service did occasionally suffer. But it was never anything serious and most pax understood that it’s inevitable with post Covid cruising and the whole industry trying to get back on its feet. Transatlantics always have a different “vibe” (we love it, others don’t), ditto the Caribbean (others love it, we don’t) so apart from a few quibbles and minor annoyances we still had a great trip.

It will be interesting to see if things are getting back to some kind of normal on our forthcoming Tahiti-Vancouver next month. I’m sure the Seattle bean counters are making their presence felt behind the scenes so let’s just hope it’s not too obvious in front of them. We noticed a few comparatively minor issues (to us anyway) but nothing to stop us cruising with Seabourn again. Realistic expectations go a long way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markham said:

I concur, by the way, about some of our fellow passengers. I will never get over Seabourn’s current no dress standards in the MDR policy. It means that characters in tee shirts, old droopy jeans/trousers, open toed sandals and even backpacks turn up for dinners. It also means that you may have to wear blinders and avoid the louder characters among the crowd. If only we could work out a deal for different dining rooms for these folks.

We have been on five Seabourn cruises, the last in September, but this precludes us ever being on a sixth. 
Management can either wake up or preside over Seabourn’s demise. 
We leave for our eleventh Regent cruise in two weeks. 

12 hours ago, markham said:

I concur, by the way, about some of our fellow passengers. I will never get over Seabourn’s current no dress standards in the MDR policy. It means that characters in tee shirts, old droopy jeans/trousers, open toed sandals and even backpacks turn up for dinners. 

Markham, I totally agree with you.  I do believe that the atmosphere around us contributes mightily to our experience while cruising.  Mr. SLSD wears a jacket every night to dinner and almost always with a bow tie (which suits him).  We are just a few years older than you are.  At the same time, I can see the tide changing.  Things are NOT going to stay the same.  While we would prefer to see smart casual be something other than droopy jeans and t-shirts, I think we are going to have to accept the fact that younger generations of cruisers do NOT want to dress "up" for dinner.  Even the luxury  cruise lines are having to come to terms with that.  The rest of us are going to have to blend in and accept the changes.  

So to clarify Markham. Are you saying that with the new dress code of allowing jeans, that you are observing these behaviors and levels of dressing on your current sailing - or that you are concerned that it could devolve to what you are describing? 

If Seabourn wants to stay in business they have to provide a product that appeals to the widest possible demographic. Those of us who enjoy formal nights, dressing for dinner, maybe a slightly more sophisticated experience compared to what is considered normal and acceptable elsewhere these days are now in a minority. Carnival rules. Sad but true.

We did notice that many of the more senior staff, restaurant managers, bar supervisors, etc were also relatively inexperienced too so staff in need of guidance and support weren’t necessarily getting it.

As I say, we’re willing to give Seabourn the benefit of the doubt during this period of post Covid adjustment, but loyal customers or not, if the “new” Seabourn simply doesn’t make the grade any more we will go elsewhere although based on our admittedly limited experiences with Regent and Silversea I’m not sure the grass will necessarily be any greener. All these companies are in the same boat (pun intended) in this brave new world.

• Like 1

We live in a hot weather climate and dress rules around business attire has certainly (and thankfully) changed over the years. If jackets are required, open neck shirts are fine in the most official of occasions. Rarely are jackets worn when dining out and then in the cooler months. We enjoy dressing up occasionally, but not every night. Elegant casual is perfect. On nights when we really don’t want to bother too much we go to the patio. I think the dress changes are generally reflecting how people live and work these days. There is less formality. Long cruises also reflect people on holidays gradually winding down and relaxing.

We are Odyssey at the moment and it hasn’t missed a beat (or beets which we have thoroughly enjoyed every offering😇). Food has been some of the best we have had and crew are outstanding. Available wine is the only low point with limited variety whites and poor quality reds.

We were concerned after our last 35 days pre COVID experience which was less than ordinary on Sojourn and also from the CC posts. Very happy so far.

• Like 4

Goodness me, this thread seems to have opened a can of, if not worms, then beans. No… that’s hill of beans… perhaps sweetcorn? Whatever, it has opened up something.

Martin Klesner is the name of our marvellous F & B manager.

I had imagined that this would be a sort of travelogue, without pictures, where I might indulge in some descriptive Conrad-esque  doodlings of life on the high seas. But before telling you about Moreton Island and Arlie Beach (and if truth be told, there is not much to tell) perhaps I should offer a few observations about current issues. 

As I write I see BasandSyb have weighed in. I am so glad that their experience reflects our own (and I so despise predictive texting…. The number of times I had to rewrite BasandSyb before the wretched thing gave up correcting it; and Conrad-esque was mutilated into Conrad-sequel, and Airline Beach? Please.).

Second night, formal night, glad to see many jackets, quite a few bow-ties and ties, a couple or three tuxes and folks on the whole making an effort. Though last night at TKG there were a couple of chaps in short sleeved shirts. Not well ironed, rather dull colours and indifferent cut. And the occasional scruff-pot does stroll in to the MDR. Last night at 10 past six I came across a gentleman wandering down the corridor in t-shirt and shorts! At 10 past six. I adopted a perplexed look and glanced meaningfully at my watch, while he looked up, smiled, and graciously said “ Hi, good evening”. I guess some people don’t feel the need to change before six, and I would on the whole prefer a pleasant greeting rather than seeing a shirt and slacks. Trouble is some people don’t seem to see the need to change clothing at all. For days at a time, judging by some encounters.

The quality and variety  of offerings at lunch in the Colonnade has been good. Very good. Pretty well right up to pre-covid standards. There may not be quite as many salads and options on the cold buffets as before, but what there is, is fresh, imaginative and beautifully presented. I have no idea what goes on in the MDR, as we never do lunch there, but I will go and investigate.

The other day, to test a theory, I asked one of the breakfast waiters for marmalade. A flicker of anxiety crossed his face but he recovered well and brought me a small dish of strawberry jam. Not really a calamity that warranted tearing out hair and rending garments.

The next day I asked Martin if there is marmalade. There is, along with fellow jams of various persuasions and honey. They all reside in bowls at the far side of the breads/ rolls/toasts counter. Another officer told me that all Seabourn stocks of small glass pots of jams and honeys were sold off during lockdown, and the decision taken not to replace them, but nonetheless CONFITURE IS STILL AVAILABLE.

I suspect I am beginning to ramble. Probaly too much sun. Time for a coffee to help focus the mind.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Goodness me, this thread seems to have opened a can of, if not worms, then beans. No… that’s hill of beans… perhaps sweetcorn? Whatever, it has opened up something.

Martin Klesner is the name of our marvellous F & B manager.

I had imagined that this would be a sort of travelogue, without pictures, where I might indulge in some descriptive Conrad-esque  doodlings of life on the high seas. But before telling you about Moreton Island and Arlie Beach (and if truth be told, there is not much to tell) perhaps I should offer a few observations about current issues. 

As I write I see BasandSyb have weighed in. I am so glad that their experience reflects our own (and I so despise predictive texting…. The number of times I had to rewrite BasandSyb before the wretched thing gave up correcting it; and Conrad-esque was mutilated into Conrad-sequel, and Airline Beach? Please.).

Second night, formal night, glad to see many jackets, quite a few bow-ties and ties, a couple or three tuxes and folks on the whole making an effort. Though last night at TKG there were a couple of chaps in short sleeved shirts. Not well ironed, rather dull colours and indifferent cut. And the occasional scruff-pot does stroll in to the MDR. Last night at 10 past six I came across a gentleman wandering down the corridor in t-shirt and shorts! At 10 past six. I adopted a perplexed look and glanced meaningfully at my watch, while he looked up, smiled, and graciously said “ Hi, good evening”. I guess some people don’t feel the need to change before six, and I would on the whole prefer a pleasant greeting rather than seeing a shirt and slacks. Trouble is some people don’t seem to see the need to change clothing at all. For days at a time, judging by some encounters.

The quality and variety  of offerings at lunch in the Colonnade has been good. Very good. Pretty well right up to pre-covid standards. There may not be quite as many salads and options on the cold buffets as before, but what there is, is fresh, imaginative and beautifully presented. I have no idea what goes on in the MDR, as we never do lunch there, but I will go and investigate.

The other day, to test a theory, I asked one of the breakfast waiters for marmalade. A flicker of anxiety crossed his face but he recovered well and brought me a small dish of strawberry jam. Not really a calamity that warranted tearing out hair and rending garments.

The next day I asked Martin if there is marmalade. There is, along with fellow jams of various persuasions and honey. They all reside in bowls at the far side of the breads/ rolls/toasts counter. Another officer told me that all Seabourn stocks of small glass pots of jams and honeys were sold off during lockdown, and the decision taken not to replace them, but nonetheless CONFITURE IS STILL AVAILABLE.

I suspect I am beginning to ramble. Probaly too much sun. Time for a coffee to help focus the mind.

Imagine Paddington Bear without Marmalade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vineyard View,

The lack of any dress code means that during the past 3 segments many men wore collarless shirts and even tee shirts for dinner at the MDR along with old jeans, droopy unfitted trousers, and even sandals. Now maybe this demographic is special due to the itinerary (South America including for many Antarctica which makes it expedition cruise like) and the timezones (fewer Europeans whose sense of style might be “better” dressed than some here). Anyway, it can be dispiriting when you recall that many people have different standards than I have ever seen on Seabourn. 

Two things to add are that the MDR dinners have been very good or excellent the entire cruise. We have not eaten dinner at the Colonnade except one Thai night when we benefited from seating outdoors and a couple of TK Ad Hoc menus. If people want to dress as if they are going to a barn raising there that would be fine with me!

My personal take is that this year is and will be a whole package of ups and downs, ups for some but not any ups for me. I now recognize that Silversea’s Dawn, Muse and Moon dress code and the style its passengers represent in their conduct are a more agreeable match.

After our June Venture cruise we have a 2024 Sojourn cruise, part of the World Cruise, where we reach 1000 days with Seabourn. We hope for the best and certainly for a better experience than this Grand Voyage. But Seabourn needs to redefine its brand soon, in my opinion, or give up its old claims to deliver refined luxury etc. It just does not do so now in terms of what Silversea’s and Regent’s 2 new ships do for food, facilities and for sophistication. A quick fix start for Seabourn might be to junk those crummy ancient motel style deck chairs now favor something new with padding. So what are they waiting for?

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markham said:

Vineyard View,

The lack of any dress code means that during the past 3 segments many men wore collarless shirts and even tee shirts for dinner at the MDR along with old jeans, droopy unfitted trousers, and even sandals. Now maybe this demographic is special due to the itinerary (South America including for many Antarctica which makes it expedition cruise like) and the timezones (fewer Europeans whose sense of style might be “better” dressed than some here). Anyway, it can be dispiriting when you recall that many people have different standards than I have ever seen on Seabourn. 

Two things to add are that the MDR dinners have been very good or excellent the entire cruise. We have not eaten dinner at the Colonnade except one Thai night when we benefited from seating outdoors and a couple of TK Ad Hoc menus. If people want to dress as if they are going to a barn raising there that would be fine with me!

My personal take is that this year is and will be a whole package of ups and downs, ups for some but not any ups for me. I now recognize that Silversea’s Dawn, Muse and Moon dress code and the style its passengers represent in their conduct are a more agreeable match.

After our June Venture cruise we have a 2024 Sojourn cruise, part of the World Cruise, where we reach 1000 days with Seabourn. We hope for the best and certainly for a better experience than this Grand Voyage. But Seabourn needs to redefine its brand soon, in my opinion, or give up its old claims to deliver refined luxury etc. It just does not do so now in terms of what Silversea’s and Regent’s 2 new ships do for food, facilities and for sophistication. A quick fix start for Seabourn might be to junk those crummy ancient motel style deck chairs now favor something new with padding. So what are they waiting for?

Markham,

I think they are waiting for funding and direction from the new (Old HAL) President 

8 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Last night at 10 past six I came across a gentleman wandering down the corridor in t-shirt and shorts! At 10 past six. I adopted a perplexed look and glanced meaningfully at my watch, while he looked up, smiled, and graciously said “ Hi, good evening”. I guess some people don’t feel the need to change before six, and I would on the whole prefer a pleasant greeting rather than seeing a shirt and slacks.

Seriously?? So now it is now a serious offence to wear tshirt/shorts in the corridor at 6:10pm? On a warm weather cruise.  A mere 10 minutes past “ the deadline”.  I thought the dress code applied to being in the public rooms (observation, mdr, bars etc) and not the hallway. What if this poor guy was coming from the pool and going back to his suite to change for dinner.  Does that deserve a rude “ perplexed look”?  I’ve always said that 6pm is too early to invoke the dress code as some prefer not to rush to the dinner table.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, markham said:

Vineyard View,

Thank you Markham for taking the time to clarify. I appreciate this. It is disturbing, and quite honestly pretty darned sad,  that people choose to dress in such manners in refined dinner areas - - and that nothing is being said to deter them by staff, as occurs on other lines. What you describe is still not dress code. I was hoping you would respond that you anticipated this, rather than that it is currently occurring. 

I am encouraged by your reports on the food. Thank you for mentioning this. I remain concerned about the ‘fine ‘ wine selection included (or not), but I have decided that I can do nothing about this. We will supplement Seabourn offerings with port purchases as we will be fortunate enough to be traveling where there are great wine regions. 

Continuing to look forward to this upcoming trip is important, so we will do so and hope Seabourn Quest is, by then, in a bit better shape on a few levels. Thanks again for your time responding to me.