Ultimate Hop on Hop Off Rome

2cruise5

We're sailing on Celebrity Edge and are interested in doing the Ultimate Hop on Hop off excursion in Rome

Does anyone know which Hop on Hop off bus they use and/or how I could get a copy of the route so I can best organise our day?

Thanks 

I don't know the specific answers to your questions. But, Rome Hop on, hop off is not recommended here, unlike other cities. First, due to small streets in many areas, the bus can't get close in many places. Secondly, the buses are usually very busy, and it has been reported to be difficult to get back on the bus when needed. Third, many of the most popular sights are is pretty close proximity, so they can be walked easily.

We do hop on hop off in many cities. But from what I have seen in Rome, and what has been reported here, I wouldn't do it in Rome. Perhaps a better idea is to take Celebrity's "Rome on your own" bus, where they will drop you need the major sites, and you can walk most of them.

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with the previous poster that the HOHO bus is not the best way to get around Rome. 

What are you hoping to see on your day visit?  If you tell us, we may be able to suggest alternatives to help you make the most of your day via an "on your own" excursion from the ship (transportation only) or even using the train to get to and from Rome on your own.

• Thanks 1

Now there are three of us saying don't waste your time with any ho-ho in Rome.

We're great fans of ho-hos in many cities, but they're no practical in Rome (or Florence if you're headed there). 

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. That's my mind made up then, we'll just do the Rome on our own transfer!

Last time we booked with Rome in Limo and had a private tour but have the kids this time so want to just go with the flow more.

Thank you!

I think HOHOs in general work best in newer cities, like New York or Paris (new being a relative term here) that don't have ancient, small centers, or older cities that have been destroyed and rebuilt with something other than foot or horse traffic in mind.

Rome is so easy to see on your own.  You can follow the pedestrian path from the Trevi fountain to Piazza Navona, safely avoiding cars and buses while seeing the heart of the city.

• Thanks 1

I agree.  Did the HOHO last year in Rome and didn't even finish one loop.  Aside from the fact that it was PACKED, as in SRO and people literally had to duck under tree branches and so on (on the open, top deck) you don't see much.

I like HOHO buses in general just to see some stuff and they're good for my short attention span.  This one was terrible.

• Thanks 1

I know that Rome is The city of 7 hills. I have severally decreased lung volume and am concerned about trying to do only walking tours rather than the hop on hop off bus. In answering my question, think 1 flight of stairs and I have to pause for a minute before proceeding.  Is a walking tour of The Forum, Trevi Fountain etc, doable for me?. Our hotel is centrally located with views of the Forum.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, you won't encounter any hills between the Forum, Colosseum, Trevi, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Vatican.  At the west end of the Forum you could have an issue climbing up to Campidoglio, and of course the Spanish Steps would be an issue but you can enjoy the view of them from the bottom.

You hit hills going up toward Aventine, or Giancolo, or heading up Via Nazionale or Via Cavour toward the train station.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, you won't encounter any hills between the Forum, Colosseum, Trevi, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Vatican.  At the west end of the Forum you could have an issue climbing up to Campidoglio, and of course the Spanish Steps would be an issue but you can enjoy the view of them from the bottom.

You hit hills going up toward Aventine, or Giancolo, or heading up Via Nazionale or Via Cavour toward the train station.

This is great news thank you for taking the time to answer me.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:16 PM, euro cruiser said:

I think HOHOs in general work best in newer cities, like New York or Paris (new being a relative term here) that don't have ancient, small centers, or older cities that have been destroyed and rebuilt with something other than foot or horse traffic in mind.

Rome is so easy to see on your own.  You can follow the pedestrian path from the Trevi fountain to Piazza Navona, safely avoiding cars and buses while seeing the heart of the city.

Euro cruiser, Is there a pedestrian path from the Golden Tulip to Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona?

Yes from the Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona but no from the Golden Tulip to Trevi.

If you make a google map they'll give you the most direct route, but it's all on streets with lots of car traffic.

I prefer to take a slightly more convoluted route so I can walk by a couple of my favorite churches along the way (San Carlino alle Quattro Fontane and Sant'Andrea al Quirinale), a quick lesson in Baroque architecture by two masters (Borromini and Bernini).

After this, head across Piazza del Quirinale and down the stairs to Via della Dataria, then a right onto Via di San Vincenzo and you'll walk right up to the fountain.  Total distance is one mile (vs. nine-tenths of a mile for the slightly more direct google route) but so much nicer and more atmospheric.

• Like 1