When are we assigned our guaranteed cabin?

dianeh

Anywhere from 7 to 14 days out is pretty typical, sometimes you will not get it until you arrive at the pier and sometimes you will get it earlier. I just got an assignment slightly over a month out for a one night cruise at the end of April. You can see it online when you view your reservation - the cabin picture that says the category will be replaced and say the stateroom number. You will also see on luggage tags and boarding pass. 

Guarantee cabin unassigned: 

Screenshot2023-03-23at10_16_57PM.thumb.png.f437689a1d97da2426019da9f56d61a6.png

After assignment: 

Screenshot2023-03-23at10_14_21PM.thumb.png.7f2f039696bab09617203542a9c8faa0.png

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 1

Received mine for a recent cruise 9 days prior.  Generally I find on HAL they don’t assign it until the cruise just prior to yours departs.  Then they start working on your voyage.  

I received no notification this time.  I was checking the “check-in” section every day from the Navigator app (or website online) and it showed up around 11am eastern time.  

Unfortunately nothing great with the assignment.  In fact a very undesirable cabin by most standards.  With a guarantee it’s always a gamble.  You win some and lose some.  This time there was no choice.  A guarantee was the only option available.  

4 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We got ours about 15 days ahead, but my son is still waiting for his cabin assignment that leaves April 1.  

They seem to assign by cabin category - perhaps that is the reason.

For those wondering if you’re stuck with whatever HAL assigns you on a guarantee … not always.  

I recently got assigned a fairly undesirable cabin even though it was a small upgrade from the category I booked.  The ship was sold out but to my surprise 4 cabins opened up in the category I was upgraded to.  Yes I kept checking daily.  All 4 cabins were better locations than my assigned cabin.  I was able to move to one of those better cabins no problem.  I lucked out.  It was only possible because the cabins that opened up just happened to be in the category I was upgraded to.  Guess it was meant to be.  Sailing in 3 days! 

• Like 2

We have always booked the minimum cabin that we would be happy with - a VE guarantee.  In more than 10 cruises since we started booking this way, we have never been disappointed.  Our BEST was an aft corner cabin - we were super spoiled that time.

Normally we get upgrade offers about a month out, and then about 10 days before, an assignment.  Once we received an assignment at the pier, and once a reassignment at the pier.

I kind of like the suspense!!! 😉

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:28 AM, eroller said:

For those wondering if you’re stuck with whatever HAL assigns you on a guarantee … not always.  

I recently got assigned a fairly undesirable cabin even though it was a small upgrade from the category I booked.  The ship was sold out but to my surprise 4 cabins opened up in the category I was upgraded to.  Yes I kept checking daily.  All 4 cabins were better locations than my assigned cabin.  I was able to move to one of those better cabins no problem.  I lucked out.  It was only possible because the cabins that opened up just happened to be in the category I was upgraded to.  Guess it was meant to be.  Sailing in 3 days! 

How did you change to one of the open cabins?  Did you call your PCC or just the regular HAL number?  I ask because I’m anxiously awaiting the cabin assignment for my first ever guarantee and am a bit concerned about getting an undesirable location. Thanks in advance. And Bon Voyage to you!

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

How did you change to one of the open cabins?  Did you call your PCC or just the regular HAL number?  I ask because I’m anxiously awaiting the cabin assignment for my first ever guarantee and am a bit concerned about getting an undesirable location. Thanks in advance. And Bon Voyage to you!

When I checked availability for the cruise, I noticed four cabins had opened up in the category I was assigned a cabin in.  I sent a text to my travel agent to enquire about changing the cabin.  Within ten minutes of that text I was in the new cabin. I’m pretty sure he didn’t even have to call HAL.  I think he was able to change it via his travel agent portal connected to HAL’s reservation system.  Being that I was already assigned a cabin within that category made it a simple transaction.  A couple hours later I checked availability again.  All the cabins were gone including my original undesirable cabin.  So time was of the essence and I knew this.  It’s all about timing but I admit I’m pretty diligent about keeping track of the voyage.  I find cruise line yield management somewhat fascinating.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, eroller said:

When I checked availability for the cruise, I noticed four cabins had opened up in the category I was assigned a cabin in.  I sent a text to my travel agent to enquire about changing the cabin.  Within ten minutes of that text I was in the new cabin. I’m pretty sure he didn’t even have to call HAL.  I think he was able to change it via his travel agent portal connected to HAL’s reservation system.  Being that I was already assigned a cabin within that category made it a simple transaction.  A couple hours later I checked availability again.  All the cabins were gone including my original undesirable cabin.  So time was of the essence and I knew this.  It’s all about timing but I admit I’m pretty diligent about keeping track of the voyage.  I find cruise line yield management somewhat fascinating.  

Very interesting!  I'll definitely keep checking availability.  Thanks again for your reply.

• Like 1

Where do you actually see the cabin number on HAL website?

We have not cruised HAL since 2014, while we cruised with Princess and Royal Caribbean up till 2020 massive cancellation.

I notice that HAL does not even have a tab called Travel Summary or that sort like Princess has.

There is no where I could see the cruise details only when the Itinerary tab occasionally works but most of time it does not react despite I click on it.

Our Apr 9 to 29 on Nieuw Statendom seems sold out but we still have not had any assignment, nor our agent said no Move Over call so far.

Oh, our agent forwarded a notification that our check in time has changed - now it is 2pm at Port Everglades. The ship departure is at 3pm...

Though I have read that the assigned check in time is not necessarily enforced, i.e. most people arrive earlier than their assigned time.  Sadly being only a 3 Mariner, there is literally zero benefit on HAL.  Our cruise agent said HAL gives nothing to most, being loyal to it does not pay...  That is from our agent's own words. LOL.

Thanks. I guess I need to be patient. Our TA suggested guarantee because you ofter get a better cabin. We usually go inside but opted a window which I hope is not obstructed. However if it is then lesson learned. Enjoy you cruise. 

9 minutes ago, dianeh said:

Thanks. I guess I need to be patient. Our TA suggested guarantee because you ofter get a better cabin. We usually go inside but opted a window which I hope is not obstructed. However if it is then lesson learned. Enjoy you cruise. 

If an obstructed view is possible I generally would not book a guarantee. 

About good luck on booking guarantee,  we once received an upgrade from an inside to an obstructed balcony - what was obstructed was the elevator bank's wall is totally blocking one side of the balcony's view.  Of course we had no issue with such upgrade, LOL.

Another time on Regal Princess we were also upgraded from an inside to a regular balcony.  My agent called me, "What have you done?  You got a Very Nice Upgrade!"  Well, I did not do anything and was not aware of the upgrade until she called.

Far more often though, so-called upgrades are just better locations nothing more.  Though we have not had anything that is worse than what we are promised when booking a guarantee. I feel it is a fair game, a chance worth to take.

Edited by nho9504

17 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

Far more often though, so-called upgrades are just better locations nothing more.  Though we have not had anything that is worse than what we are promised when booking a guarantee. I feel it is a fair game, a chance worth to take.

What else would you expect of an upgrade?