Round-trip Repositioning Cruise

Buckeye62

Being a non-flyer, I’m wondering if it is possible to take a repositioning cruise from the Us to the UK, stay there 2-6 weeks and then find a return cruise. If this is not possible, would I have to stay in the UK for 6 months before being able to find a return cruise? 

8 minutes ago, Buckeye62 said:

Being a non-flyer, I’m wondering if it is possible to take a repositioning cruise from the Us to the UK, stay there 2-6 weeks and then find a return cruise. If this is not possible, would I have to stay in the UK for 6 months before being able to find a return cruise? 

Cunard would likely be your best bet for a westbound transatlantic in the spring or early summer.

Ships reposition to Europe in the spring.  Some go to Northern Europe, some to the Mediterranean.  You could take one of the northern cruises, stay awhile, and return on the QM2.  She doesn’t resume her regular crossings until she returns from her world cruise, usually in April.  For a possibly fun exercise, go to cruisetimetables.com and click on Cruises from and the southern US ports.  Start with late March and go through early May.  They have little maps of the itinerary, so just look for those with the line across the Atlantic.  When you have accumulated a list of possibilities, go back to the home page and choose Cruise Ships, choose QM2 (Cunard) and look at her itineraries starting late April and going through the period desired.  Amazing what you can find…. EM

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Buckeye62 said:

In addition to the previous suggestions, you can also check out segments on the Princess World Cruise, which departs Australia around May. Stops in UK around early July, then heads over to USA.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Buckeye62 said:

We have done several transatlantic round trips [round trip == only unpack _once_] with different numbers of days [2, 4 and 12 so far] between Southampton turn around days as the QM2 makes a 'local' side trip [to Norway, or Hamburg, or the Med...]

Since you are not really looking at a round trip - just sailings there and back again, with some sort of land vacation in between - you just need to check the schedule and pick a pair suitable of eastbound and west bound crossings.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buckeye62 said:

We book Queen Mary 2 for this purpose.

20 hours ago, Buckeye62 said:

Absolutely, and we have done it (mostly to Europe) a few times.  With the UK it can be quite easy.  Not only do you have the various repositioning cruises, but there is the QM2.  But do not limit yourself to the UK because when you toss in the continent (especially Barcelona, Amsterdam and Civitavecchia) you really increase the number of options.  Keep in mind that once you are in Europe, getting to the UK can be done via train (Chunnel), ferry, or flying.

Hank

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Pedant alert  - You mean Eurostar. 

Yes, but of course the Eurostar goes thru the Chunnel.  We have contended that the engineers who designed the Chunnel made a huge error and built it in the wrong direction :). 

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, but of course the Eurostar goes thru the Chunnel.  We have contended that the engineers who designed the Chunnel made a huge error and built it in the wrong direction :). 

Pedant #2 here...

The first time I heard it called "the Chunnel" since it was opened in 1994 was here on CC.  Nobody in UK, and I strongly suspect nobody in Europe, calls it that.

16 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Pedant #2 here...

The first time I heard it called "the Chunnel" since it was opened in 1994 was here on CC.  Nobody in UK, and I strongly suspect nobody in Europe, calls it that.

That's fascinating.  The only thing I've ever heard it referred to as here in the States is the Chunnel.  

• Like 1

We’ve sailed to Europe, spent time and sailed back a few times.   Usually we will spend a few months in Europe and have had to take different lines to make the timing work out.  Much better than flying.  Cunard is a last choice because they don’t stop anywhere along the way.  I like to have port days on either end of those wonderful crossing sea days ( makes them feel like a vacation from the vacation). I always check cruises to see if something works before booking a flight.   Wish there were more options to do that elsewhere. 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:55 AM, aungrl said:

That's fascinating.  The only thing I've ever heard it referred to as here in the States is the Chunnel.  

I think most Europeans (and I include Brits in that) especially the younger ones, would have no idea what you were talking about if you said Chunnel.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think most Europeans (and I include Brits in that) especially the younger ones, would have no idea what you were talking about if you said Chunnel.

It's a great example of differences in US language and British language, isn't it?  On giving it a little more thought, it seems that we use "chunnel" interchangeably to refer to both the tunnel itself, as well as to the train that goes through the tunnel.  So, "You could always take the Chunnel from England to France" would be interpreted to mean taking the train underneath the Channel that goes through the tunnel.  3 concepts in one word.  😊

2 minutes ago, aungrl said:

It's a great example of differences in US language and British language, isn't it?  On giving it a little more thought, it seems that we use "chunnel" interchangeably to refer to both the tunnel itself, as well as to the train that goes through the tunnel.  So, "You could always take the Chunnel from England to France" would be interpreted to mean taking the train underneath the Channel that goes through the tunnel.  3 concepts in one word.  😊

But you haven't mentioned the shuttle !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1