Process on turnaround day in the middle of a Collector Cruise?

Turtles06

We're booked on the Rotterdam's 21-day Voyage of the Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, July 1-22, leaving out of Amsterdam.  There are two individual segments within this cruise -- the 14-day Voyage of the Midnight Sun and the 7-day Norse Legends -- that can be booked individually.  (HAL told me that means our cruise is called a "Collector Cruise," but apologies if that's not the correct nomenclature.)  The turnaround day for those two segments is July 15 (also in Amsterdam).  I'm wondering what we can expect that day.

I assume that when we embark on July 1, we'll be given a sea pass/key card that is good for our entire cruise of 21 days.  Assuming that's the case, and since we won't be in the U.S. and no "zero count" will be needed on July 15, will we be able to just come and go that day as though it were a regular port call for us (making sure of course to be back on board by the deadline)?   

Thanks for any info!

You will treat turnaround day as just another port day, other than perhaps a couple of instructions on getting off or back on. ( We have seen there be a different gangway for those staying on board). There will be excursions. 

Your card will be work for the entire cruise, as will your account. 

Otherwise no issue, like there is in US ports.

• Thanks 1

If HAL is like any other cruiseline, you will have a short meeting either the day before, or the morning of the turn-around day to discuss the turn-around procedure.  On Celebrity, we had the meeting that took about 30 minutes (mostly waiting for passengers to show up! 🤨) to have passports rechecked.  Some cruiselines will walk you off of the ship, go through a quick check-in, and then back onto the ship.

8 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

If HAL is like any other cruiseline, you will have a short meeting either the day before, or the morning of the turn-around day to discuss the turn-around procedure.  On Celebrity, we had the meeting that took about 30 minutes (mostly waiting for passengers to show up! 🤨) to have passports rechecked.  Some cruiselines will walk you off of the ship, go through a quick check-in, and then back onto the ship.

That's for turnarounds at US ports. At non US ports its far easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I've been on more back to back/Collectors cruises than I can count (but never in the US), including Amsterdam, and the only place I ever had to go through any head-count type of procedure was in Japan. 
I agree with Cruiser Bruce that in Amsterdam OP will be able to treat this like any other port day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

What happens if you have to change cabins?

You will need to stick around and work with your cabin stewards to make the move. They will very helpful. But in most ports outside the US, you don't need to do any Immigration procedures. 

Last summer our collectors cruise was supposed to have turn around day in Amsterdam, but we were moved to Rotterdam.  We elected to just stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet.   There were no meetings for us, nor did we have to leave the ship or do anything other than enjoy the day.  We did have in transit passes to get on and off the ship easily if that is what we chose to do.  Had we been in Amsterdam we would have had an excursion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1