Price warranty, flooding of unsold places elsewhere and wait listed shown on Silversea.

les37b

This has been happening for years with airlines and hotels. Also with SS. We have been having emails from an Australian travel company who have used Silversea for at least the past 12 years. They book 30 to 40 cabins. However they sell them as part of a tour so hard to know what discount they get.

For airlines it does come with certain caveats. We used such a channel to book our Emirates business class flights Singapore to Frankfurt saving $3000 but came with no lounge access which didn’t worry us but what not said was no seat allocation even if it cost extra. So found ourselves in different rows in middle seats. Yes the EK 777s come in a 2-3-2 in business class. We did manage eventually to sit together though.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

This has been happening for years with airlines and hotels. Also with SS. We have been having emails from an Australian travel company who have used Silversea for at least the past 12 years. They book 30 to 40 cabins. However they sell them as part of a tour so hard to know what discount they get.

Were the examples you refer wait listed on SS? These ones are which prompted this.

It may just have been coincidence that my one was wait listed but flooded with a agency and the one in August, which now sounds like it is a charter, but still advertised on SS wait listed which prompted my knee jerk.

7 hours ago, les37b said:

Were the examples you refer wait listed on SS? These ones are which prompted this.

It may just have been coincidence that my one was wait listed but flooded with a agency and the one in August, which now sounds like it is a charter, but still advertised on SS wait listed which prompted my knee jerk.

I think you may have the order of events backwards in your head.  I'm guessing that your cruise had cabins sold in bulk to the agency, which caused it to be waitlisted because Silversea had no cabins left to sell.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think you may have the order of events backwards in your head.  I'm guessing that your cruise had cabins sold in bulk to the agency, which caused it to be waitlisted because Silversea had no cabins left to sell.

Of course. On my sailing it was wait listed months ago and yes it may well be the case they sold off the remaining cabins on the cheap.

Can’t think that’s something to be happy about and kinda validates the title of this thread.

For the 27 August sailing, it’s been suggested it’s actually a full charter, which may be the case, but begs the question why it’s listed on SS. Charters are not usually shown.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, les37b said:

Of course. On my sailing it was wait listed months ago and yes it may well be the case they sold off the remaining cabins on the cheap.

Can’t think that’s something to be happy about and kinda validates the title of this thread.

For the 27 August sailing, it’s been suggested it’s actually a full charter, which may be the case, but begs the question why it’s listed on SS. Charters are not usually shown.

Not quite a "full charter" since I am on that sailing, traveling solo, paying full price. I had an awful experience with my husband on a river cruise where about 90% of the passengers were one group. Granted a smaller ship, but I think full disclosure would be lovely if I am to spend 14 days with a charter group. Will Dawn become the "party ship"?

14 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Not quite a "full charter" since I am on that sailing, traveling solo, paying full price. I had an awful experience with my husband on a river cruise where about 90% of the passengers were one group. Granted a smaller ship, but I think full disclosure would be lovely if I am to spend 14 days with a charter group. Will Dawn become the "party ship"?

Hopefully not.

I’ve no idea what percentage on my sailing was with this agent, but the disproportionate number of Brits on this Caribbean cruise suggests the numbers were quite high and as mentioned it was wait listed months beforehand.

On my sailing, I didn’t feel like the mix was remotely “us and them”. I did think there may have been a slight difference compared to other sailings with SS, but genuinely it caused no problems. That said, if this is the shape of things to come and more common, then it will affect things. Why book with SS or normal SS selling agent, when you can book the same cruise cut price. Slides and slippery spring to mind.

On a side note, I received an email today from the CEO asking for feedback on the ports of my cruise. (On top of the one done on the ship.) Unfortunately the IT gremlins were back again and the link within to fill out the requested info was a broken link so guess there won’t be too many responses!

I am on the Aug 27th sailing. I booked direct with SS, my first SS cruise, then transferred to a TA in North America. After I booked, my itinerary “disappeared” from SS website.  It caused months of worry.  Then it reappeared waitlisted.  Some relief until through my persistent digging I found the UK company who had chartered the ship. I reached out to them, incognito, and was told I could only book through them.  Well, not true since I have booked direct and have yet to be bumped.  I have my air confirmed as well, so we will be on the ship.  Now, I (through my TA) have asked SS to compensate us or at the very least get us into the advertised enhanced entertainment program.  They have said clearly “no can do”.  So after this upcoming cruise, I too will say NO to SS.  This will be my first and last cruise with them. 

5 hours ago, Presd said:

I am on the Aug 27th sailing. I booked direct with SS, my first SS cruise, then transferred to a TA in North America. After I booked, my itinerary “disappeared” from SS website.  It caused months of worry.  Then it reappeared waitlisted.  Some relief until through my persistent digging I found the UK company who had chartered the ship. I reached out to them, incognito, and was told I could only book through them.  Well, not true since I have booked direct and have yet to be bumped.  I have my air confirmed as well, so we will be on the ship.  Now, I (through my TA) have asked SS to compensate us or at the very least get us into the advertised enhanced entertainment program.  They have said clearly “no can do”.  So after this upcoming cruise, I too will say NO to SS.  This will be my first and last cruise with them. 

It seems very clear that SS have changed your cruise and should have been honest and offered the opportunity to cancel and be refunded. You are now on a charter and the company selling are saying that’s a fact.

I suspect you were under the impression you were on a really popular cruise that had sold out.

I’ve seen the price this 12 night cruise is selling for (@ £2999). Would I be correct in saying your cruise cost far more? Sorry but the responses you’ve had seems dishonest and morally wrong.

I’m aware I’m being charged thousands more than the charter guests and that they will have enhanced entertainment and I will not.  At this point, there is nothing more I can do. I have asked repeatedly.  It has now left an incredibly negative impression of SS. I am told all small cruise lines do this to fill cabins.  I’ve learned my lesson, never book direct and search for discounts before booking. Not what I expected from a supposedly luxury cruise line. 

• Like 3

PressD.  I am so so sorry.  This is one of the worst stories I have heard from SS.    The firm usually take 10 to 30 cabins and have little effect on others.   However this like the Seabourn Canaries trip last year is a much bigger operation and a lot of people would hate this and the entertainment will be frustrating.  Also not sure where you are from but airfare suggests US possibly. You would have expected mixed nationality passengers and you may not want a ship load of Brits.   Actually neither do I normally because we always enjoy meeting people from other countries.

I think you have every right to get a refund as this is not the cruise you booked and you have a very strong case.   Actually on the Seabourn trip last year I think they had done the same thing and there were a smallish number of other passengers.  If companies wish to take full charters these should be arranged in advance of advertising the cruise or at least they should warn passengers and give option to move or have a refund.

You have put my mind at rest that I did not make a mistake.  When we booked I looked on SS site to look at prices and excursions and the cruise was not there, which together with the imported singers made me sure it was a full charter - or as it turns out almost full).

I would encourage you to fight back hard.

• Like 1

Mancunian.  Thank you for you post,  I’m coming in from Canada and I really don’t mind   being surrounded by Brits.  At least it’s individuals booking through the UK company as opposed to a group from a large corporation (I’m hoping).  I’m more upset about the cost difference, almost $5,000 CDN.  I would have considered switching itinerary, but I like the itinerary we chose and I’m not guaranteed this won’t happen on another itinerary..  Difficulty is also that we are a group of 9 with varied schedules so nearly impossible to switch at this point.  I guess we have our own little group.  I will make the best of it, but lesson learned

I just hope SS have a lesson learnt too.  If you see us do say hello.  Unfortunately I cannot be missed as I push a bright red rollator (push along)

We too loved this itinerary.   Sadly for us UK itineraries usually include Dublin, Belfast, Liverpool and Edinburgh  and London all of which we know anyway, and we really prefer smaller places and a lot of countryside.   People from overseas like visiting the big cities and I wonder if this is why this has happened and it does not appeal to them so much, and UK people probably did a staycation cruise during the pandemic.

However I am sure you will love SS.  We have done over 60 cruises on many lines and have now settled into two favourites - Silversea and Oceania.

We have booked our first Silversea cruise for 2025 (Nova) and possibly with the travel agency discussed above. They had a specific number of suites we could choose from, certainly not a charter though. The reason I used them rather than my usual TA is that they had a 2 week India Golden Triangle tour included for only a few hundred pounds more than SS door to door. We wanted to try SS and also wanted to visit India so it was, using a phrase from our cousins across the pond, 'a no brainer' 😁

Edited by Techno123

This is our reason for using this agent.  We did a one week Golden Triangle tour before 9 days on Silver Shadow four years’ ago.  This I think is where they excel.  The Indian portion was organised with a tour manager from a well known India tours firm.  We stayed in excellent hotels.  The tour manager and assistant did not allow us to be harassed by the salespersons who bombarded each coach that stopped.  He told them we would only buy from them when we returned to the coach supervised by him.  They accepted this and when we were safely back on the coach he bartered a price the assistant walked down the coach and we could buy and give the. cash to him.  Perhaps took the pleasure from those who enjoy bartering but we were. very pleased by this.  We were on a new coach with toilet (apparently unusual).    You will have a great time if you have any questions just ask.  I think there around 50 of us.  It also introduced us to SS and we have since done some cruises booked direct.

We are now booked on another tour with said firm for next year which includes a week tour of the Italian Lakes and a scenic rail trip followed by 10 days on Silver Spirit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

We have booked our first Silversea cruise for 2025 (Nova) and possibly with the travel agency discussed above. They had a specific number of suites we could choose from, certainly not a charter though. The reason I used them rather than my usual TA is that they had a 2 week India Golden Triangle tour included for only a few hundred pounds more than SS door to door. We wanted to try SS and also wanted to visit India so it was, using a phrase from our cousins across the pond, 'a no brainer' 😁

Hello there, also from a beautifully Sunny North Wales here. I'm just back from a Golden Triangle tour in January, I Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time on SS too. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Hello there, also from a beautifully Sunny North Wales here. I'm just back from a Golden Triangle tour in January, I Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time on SS too. 

It is glorious today - Anglesey is bathed in sunshine across the water and the weeds are growing before my eyes 😂😂.

Have you got any hints and tips? Other half is worried about tummy bugs as his friend went home recently and even he picked one up.  I draw the line at a case full  of pot noodles 😝

1 minute ago, Techno123 said:

It is glorious today - Anglesey is bathed in sunshine across the water and the weeds are growing before my eyes 😂😂.

Have you got any hints and tips? Other half is worried about tummy bugs as his friend went home recently and even he picked one up.  I draw the line at a case full  of pot noodles 😝

And Conwy Valley is looking beautiful too. I Didnt get a poorly tummy once luckilly. I Only ate in the Hotel's, avoided all street food (which was a shame) and took all the usual precautions, bottled water only, no ice in drinks, push lift buttons with my knuckle, avoid handrails, sanitise hands after handling money or touching anything etc. 

I'm a chilli wuss so asked for "zero chilli"  in my meals and was mostly obliged. Where are you visiting on the tour?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mancunian said:

We are now booked on another tour with said firm for next year which includes a week tour of the Italian Lakes and a scenic rail trip followed by 10 days on Silver Spirit.

We were looking at this one. When we have done the Med with Seabourn my hubbie took his mountain bike with him and he thought he might me able to do the same. Bike lived in the suite with us 😂😂

Re India - He is a fussy eater (isn't keen on vegetables - I blame his mother 😜) and as I said to Daveywavey, his concern is tummy bugs. Any advice re the food

F8161F0C-42EE-442E-B949-55268D460E23.jpeg

Edited by Techno123

7 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

And Conwy Valley is looking beautiful too. I Didnt get a poorly tummy once luckilly. I Only ate in the Hotel's, avoided all street food (which was a shame) and took all the usual precautions, bottled water only, no ice in drinks, push lift buttons with my knuckle, avoid handrails, sanitise hands after handling money or touching anything etc. 

I'm a chilli wuss so asked for "zero chilli"  in my meals and was mostly obliged. Where are you visiting on the tour?

We are very close then (Deganwy 😁)

It's this one thought it looked pretty fab
Day 1 - Arrive in Delhi and transfer to hotel. 
Day 2 - Morning Sightseeing of Old Delhi visiting Jama Masjid, drive past Red Fort and visit Rajghat. Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.
Day 3 - Morning Drive to Agra (approx 205kms 04hours drive) Afternoon Arrive Agra and Check in to hotel later proceed for sightseeing of Agra visiting Taj Mahal and Fort. Overnight in Agra. 1 night stay at the ITC Mughal or Similar.
Day 4 - Morning at leisure. Transfer to Bharatpur. Lunch at a local restaurant. Evening Arrive Sawai Madhopur at 18:02 hrs Check in to the hotel. Overnight in Ranthambore for 2 nights in the Sawai Villas or Similar.
Day 5 -Morning Jungle Safari by shared canter Afternoon Jungle Safari. Overnight in Ranthambore . Sawai Villas or Similar. (B,L,D)
Day 6 - Morning Drive to Jaipur, (approx 150kms /04hours drive) Late Afternoon Arrive and check in to hotel Overnight in Jaipur for 2 nights at the Rajputana Sheraton or Similar.
Day 7 - Morning Excursion to Amber fort by Jeeps Afternoon Sightseeing of Jaipur visiting City Palace. Overnight in Jaipur. Rajputana Sheraton or Similar.
Day 8 - Morning Drive to Delhi,(approx 258kms 06hrs drive) Afternoon Arrive and check in to hotel Rest of the day at leisure Overnight in Delhi for 1 night at the Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.
Day 9 - Morning Transfer to railway station to board Shatabdi Express to Kalka (0740hrs / 1145hrs) Arrive Kalka and connect toy train to Shimla (1210hrs / 1730hrs). Packed Lunch to be served on board the train Arrive and drive to Taj Theog (32.5 Kms – 01 hour) Overnight in Shimla. 3 Nights in Shimla at the Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 10 - Morning Trail walk in the Himalayas. Afternoon Rest of the day at leisure. Overnight in Shimla. Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 11 - Full day Full day at leisure Hotel has a Jiva Spa which clients can use. Overnight in Shimla. Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 12 - Morning Drive to Shimla and sightseeing of the city. Afternoon Transfer to Kalka station to board the Shatabdi express back to Delhi (1820 / 2155hrs). Packed Dinner to be served on board the train. Arrive and check in to hotel. Overnight in Delhi for 1 night at the Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.

Edited by Techno123

30 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

We are very close then (Deganwy 😁)

It's this one thought it looked pretty fab
Day 1 - Arrive in Delhi and transfer to hotel. 
Day 2 - Morning Sightseeing of Old Delhi visiting Jama Masjid, drive past Red Fort and visit Rajghat. Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.
Day 3 - Morning Drive to Agra (approx 205kms 04hours drive) Afternoon Arrive Agra and Check in to hotel later proceed for sightseeing of Agra visiting Taj Mahal and Fort. Overnight in Agra. 1 night stay at the ITC Mughal or Similar.
Day 4 - Morning at leisure. Transfer to Bharatpur. Lunch at a local restaurant. Evening Arrive Sawai Madhopur at 18:02 hrs Check in to the hotel. Overnight in Ranthambore for 2 nights in the Sawai Villas or Similar.
Day 5 -Morning Jungle Safari by shared canter Afternoon Jungle Safari. Overnight in Ranthambore . Sawai Villas or Similar. (B,L,D)
Day 6 - Morning Drive to Jaipur, (approx 150kms /04hours drive) Late Afternoon Arrive and check in to hotel Overnight in Jaipur for 2 nights at the Rajputana Sheraton or Similar.
Day 7 - Morning Excursion to Amber fort by Jeeps Afternoon Sightseeing of Jaipur visiting City Palace. Overnight in Jaipur. Rajputana Sheraton or Similar.
Day 8 - Morning Drive to Delhi,(approx 258kms 06hrs drive) Afternoon Arrive and check in to hotel Rest of the day at leisure Overnight in Delhi for 1 night at the Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.
Day 9 - Morning Transfer to railway station to board Shatabdi Express to Kalka (0740hrs / 1145hrs) Arrive Kalka and connect toy train to Shimla (1210hrs / 1730hrs). Packed Lunch to be served on board the train Arrive and drive to Taj Theog (32.5 Kms – 01 hour) Overnight in Shimla. 3 Nights in Shimla at the Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 10 - Morning Trail walk in the Himalayas. Afternoon Rest of the day at leisure. Overnight in Shimla. Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 11 - Full day Full day at leisure Hotel has a Jiva Spa which clients can use. Overnight in Shimla. Taj Theog or Similar.
Day 12 - Morning Drive to Shimla and sightseeing of the city. Afternoon Transfer to Kalka station to board the Shatabdi express back toDelhi (1820 / 2155hrs). Packed Dinner to be served on board the train. Arrive and check in to hotel. Overnight in Delhi for 1 night at the Vivanta by Dwarka or Similar.

That looks like a fantastic itinerary, the first week is some of what Ive just done but in Reverse, Mine ended at Agra. Shimla is one I had to save for my next trip out there. If youre interested I did do a little holiday video of the trip. 

• Like 1