Shorts in the Dining Room??

Shazambilo

So, 100+ posts in and a thought occurred to me seeing this thread topic still on Page 1.  Notwithstanding the proviso that shorts are "not welcomed" the dining rooms and whether they are in fact "welcomed" on some ships or not, women are welcomed in clothing that reveals various lengths of the legs - sometimes most of the leg.  Why shouldn't men be allowed to bare half of their legs as well?  Women were not "welcomed" with pants back-in-the-day and that has changed.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, 100+ posts in and a thought occurred to me seeing this thread topic still on Page 1.  Notwithstanding the proviso that shorts are "not welcomed" the dining rooms and whether they are in fact "welcomed" on some ships or not, women are welcomed in clothing that reveals various lengths of the legs - sometimes most of the leg.  Why shouldn't men be allowed to bare half of their legs as well?  Women were not "welcomed" with pants back-in-the-day and that has changed.  

Gender equality and identification in the mdr ... smh

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

The correct word to be inserted into your rant is suggestion

And why is this difference so material?  If Princess, in its promotional material, suggests that people dress for dinner the way they would for a nice restaurant back home, and 30% of diners show up in gym shorts and tank tops, then the other 70% are not dining in the atmosphere that was sold to them in the promotional material.  Princess is saying, subtly, that when you choose Princess you are choosing a slightly different atmosphere than you would find on Carnival or NCL.  Is that wrong? I do not understand at all how that expectation changes whether one calls the language regarding attire a "rule" or a "suggestion".   I know that when I book a cruise on Princess, I have an expectation that the atmosphere of the cruise will differ from that of Carnival and NCL.  If I wanted Carnival, I would book Carnival. The implication of you statement is that "suggestions" are meaningless and that is not the case when it comes to setting expectations.  Were it otherwise, the suggestion would not have been made in the first place. 

Princess could choose to publish any one of the following:

• Pants and collared shirts are required for entry into the MDR;
  • For dinner in the MDR, pants and collared shirts are appropriate;
  • Dinners in the MDR are "come as you are";
  • [Intentionally left blank with no comment made in any direction]

Princess has opted for something that most closely aligns with the second statement.  Whether or not one calls that statement a "rule" or a "suggestion" does not change the fact that it sends a message that is different from the third and fourth.  Suggestion or not, the second statement does not impart the same information or set the same expectation as the third.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

And why is this difference so material?  If Princess, in its promotional material, suggests that people dress for dinner the way they would for a nice restaurant back home, and 30% of diners show up in gym shorts and tank tops, then the other 70% are not dining in the atmosphere that was sold to them in the promotional material.  Princess is saying, subtly, that when you choose Princess you are choosing a slightly different atmosphere than you would find on Carnival or NCL.  Is that wrong? I do not understand at all how that expectation changes whether one calls the language regarding attire a "rule" or a "suggestion".   I know that when I book a cruise on Princess, I have an expectation that the atmosphere of the cruise will differ from that of Carnival and NCL.  If I wanted Carnival, I would book Carnival. The implication of you statement is that "suggestions" are meaningless and that is not the case when it comes to setting expectations.  Were it otherwise, the suggestion would not have been made in the first place. 

Princess could choose to publish any one of the following:

• Pants and collared shirts are required for entry into the MDR;
  • For dinner in the MDR, pants and collared shirts are appropriate;
  • Dinners in the MDR are "come as you are";
  • [Intentionally left blank with no comment made in any direction]

Princess has opted for something that most closely aligns with the second statement.  Whether or not one calls that statement a "rule" or a "suggestion" does not change the fact that it sends a message that is different from the third and fourth.  Suggestion or not, the second statement does not impart the same information or set the same expectation as the third.  

Jimmy - excellent post,  as always, but I feel your logic is beyond the grasp of some.

Interestingly,  we are on Sky this Saturday, out of Southampton, and the roll  call on another social media group, is full of chatter about how people are looking forward to getting dressed up. Lots of photos of dresses and tuxedos being posted. 

I think that there is an increasing divide between the US philosophy of "I'm on holiday and will dress how I want"  and the UK philosophy of "I'm on holiday ,so will dress differently and more smartly to how I would do normally ". 

And who am I to say which is right !

As an aside, I have booked a cruise today with a small UK cruise line - their dress code states, amongst other things,  no polo shirts at night !  But, their ship, their code! 

• Like 3