Pre Cruise Specialty Dining Reservations w/ Ultimate Dining Package

We booked the ultimate dining package shortly after booking our May 2023 cruise. Now, at less than 45 days til boarding, we tried to start making our dining reservations. But the first reservation we made, they charged our credit card. We canceled that reservation and we will be reimbursed for that charge, but it's still really irritating. 

Can anyone share some info on what might be going on here? Are you not able to make dining reservations ahead of time if you have the ultimate dining package? 

In exchange for getting the package at a reduced price you have to wait until you board to make your reservations.  You can go to one restaurant and make them all there  If you want to pre-book you have to pay full price for all the meals  If you are in a suite the concierge can make them for you about a week before sailing

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

We booked the ultimate dining package shortly after booking our May 2023 cruise. Now, at less than 45 days til boarding, we tried to start making our dining reservations. But the first reservation we made, they charged our credit card. We canceled that reservation and we will be reimbursed for that charge, but it's still really irritating. 

Can anyone share some info on what might be going on here? Are you not able to make dining reservations ahead of time if you have the ultimate dining package? 

With the package, you have to wait until you are in the ship, unless you are in a suite

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

With the package, you have to wait until you are in the ship, unless you are in a suite

Thanks, I was just beginning to figure that out. 

Now, the follow up question. 

Has anyone had an issue getting any reservations made once they're onboard? Are all the best times booked up by embarkation day?

3 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I never have, but we make ours first thing when we get on ship. I’ve heard some people have had issues, but seems usually on the larger ships 

We're on the Allure for this one, but I figure we'll be able to get all the restaurants we need reserved. The real trick is scheduling early enough to make the late shows or late enough to go to the early shows without being late for dinner. 

We recently were on Oasis (Feb) with the ultimate dining package, on boarding we went to the MDR where staff were waiting with iPads to make all our reservations for the entire 7 days for the speciality restaurants. We boarded at midday and got all the times we wanted to fit in around the shows we’d booked and had no problems at all and felt it was a very good deal.

• Like 1

We have never had a problem getting the reservation times we want. We usually try and have an 8pm reservation. The only time we had a problem was with Hibachi, it was booked by the time we got on Symphony at 10:30am.

20 minutes ago, chiguy67 said:

We have never had a problem getting the reservation times we want. We usually try and have an 8pm reservation. The only time we had a problem was with Hibachi, it was booked by the time we got on Symphony at 10:30am.

I think Hibachi can only be booked at Hibachi-  same thing happened when I boarded at 10:30 I was told in Giovanni's that Hibachi was full and that I should go there and check.  Went there and it was avaiable

3 hours ago, theotherchad said:

We're on the Allure for this one, but I figure we'll be able to get all the restaurants we need reserved. The real trick is scheduling early enough to make the late shows or late enough to go to the early shows without being late for dinner. 

Oasis Class is different than the other ships.  They do not adhere to the early or late show dinner times. Some of the late shows are at 10:45, and the broadway shows usually have a day time performance.  Book all your shows as soon as they open in the cruise planner. Be flexible with dining times once onboard.  Several posts have stated that they book Hibachi Grill in the cruise planner, pay full price and then swap it out for a package reservation after they board. OBC is fully refundable for specialty cancelations. We have swapped out full piece reservations for a package night several times. 

• Like 1

If you have no fear of  credit.You can book times and restaurants in advance. Just cancel once on board. Tell them you decided on package switch Res to package. Then cancel original single booking for full refund. 

We do this for the one or 2 must have nights and times to be certain Usually a couple days before boarding. The rest of the nights we are flexible.

• Like 1

Just now, nolimits said:

Then cancel original single booking for full refund. 

Cancelling on board will result in a refundable obc issued to your account which if unused will be refunded at the end of the cruise.  It doesn't automatically get refunded to your credit card. Works outvthe same in the end but if different cards were used for on line purchases vs on board purchases it may have an impact  

4 hours ago, chiguy67 said:

The Hibachi looks fun, but it's not on our "must do" list. Thanks for the info, though! 

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Oasis Class is different than the other ships.  They do not adhere to the early or late show dinner times. Some of the late shows are at 10:45, and the broadway shows usually have a day time performance.  Book all your shows as soon as they open in the cruise planner. Be flexible with dining times once onboard.  Several posts have stated that they book Hibachi Grill in the cruise planner, pay full price and then swap it out for a package reservation after they board. OBC is fully refundable for specialty cancelations. We have swapped out full piece reservations for a package night several times. 

Boom! Now that's some out of the box thinking. This is a great tip! Just so I'm clear, though, they will not refund your credit card onboard, they will simply credit you the equivalent funds for onboard credit? That works for me, because we never have trouble spending enough money onboard. 😁 

Thanks to everyone for their info. This is good info to have, and the sad thing is, usually, this kind of specific info can only be gotten from cruising and then getting the experience. 

We have been on many cruises, but not for about 5 years and this is the first time we've prebooked anything other than a wine package. We had also not done the ultimate dining package before. We just booked our specialty restaurants when we got onboard and ate in the MDR or other included dining on the rest of the nights. I began to wonder if the folks not in the know and using the app way in advance of sailing were going to be out of luck because I saw posts where some other folks (perhaps even more clueless than me) were complaining that they weren't able to book the things they wanted.

Great to have such a good community of knowledgeable folks here! 

Edited by theotherchad

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The morning of the sailing 

This is some info that is very valuable. I'm sure that info is available if you read all of the things, but there are a lot of things to read to get to that conclusion. We can wake up at the hotel, set those reservations and finalize our dinner plans for each respective night. 

Again, what a great resource Cruise Critic's boards are! I'm a believer in planning well, but when it comes to cruising, sometimes the needed planning can be a bit burdensome if you don't know all of the things about all of the things, if you know what I mean! 

2 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

This is some info that is very valuable. I'm sure that info is available if you read all of the things, but there are a lot of things to read to get to that conclusion. We can wake up at the hotel, set those reservations and finalize our dinner plans for each respective night. 

Again, what a great resource Cruise Critic's boards are! I'm a believer in planning well, but when it comes to cruising, sometimes the needed planning can be a bit burdensome if you don't know all of the things about all of the things, if you know what I mean! 

You won't be zble to book anything yet early.  You need to connect to the ships wifi.