Magnets for the walls

I know that I've read somewhere on these posts that people bring magnets for the room walls.  Can you give me some ideas on what you hang on the magnets? Trying to decide whether to purchase some to bring with us.  Thanks so much.

Oh man... SO much stuff. I bring 8-10 magnets with either a hook or just a knob. I hang towels, bathing suits, beach bags, t-shirts - basically to keep stuff off the couch/chairs - especially if they need drying.  

Magnet.png

Edited by Toddcan
  • Like 1

I hang reminder notes, invitations, trip itinerary on the magnets I buy from ship magnets that I buy at their shops.  I also have clip magnets to hang the heavier stuff.   Plus I take favorite magnets from various ports to "dress up" the wall and the outside door.   

Hook magnets are used for hats and drying hand washable light things, etc.  

Our last cabin attendant was so fascinated by our magnets, that I bought her one from the ship (Jewel) and gave it to her.  You would have thought I gave her a 100 bill...she about cried!  

23 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

Thank you guys for all the ideas.  I am going to order some today!!!  I like our room to stay less cluttered and this will help.

Barbara

Just make sure that you buy rare-earth magnets such as these to get enough "sticking" power.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/hooks/storage/73796-magnet-mounted-hooks

25 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

Thank you guys for all the ideas.  I am going to order some today!!!  I like our room to stay less cluttered and this will help.

Barbara

If you’re planning to use them to hang clothing, such as pool coverups, windbreakers etc, make sure you get ones that can handle weight.  They’re really inexpensive so beefier is better.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnetic+hooks+cruise&crid=1P9D5J747ZAGX&sprefix=Magnetic+hooks%2Caps%2C157&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_14

• Like 1

Thank you guys!   I'm not the OP but I was going to come here to ask which ones are best.  I now some magnets don't stick to the fridge when I put anything more than a post-it note on it.  

Any clips that you can recommend?   For things like paperwork.  

Edited by HappyTexan44

17 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Thank you guys!   I'm not the OP but I was going to come here to ask which ones are best.  I now some magnets don't stick to the fridge when I put anything more than a post-it note on it.  

Any clips that you can recommend?   For things like paperwork.  

I use these ones, they're small but very strong. They claim to hold 22nd but they don't. I use them for lanyards, hats, Fanny packs, wet swimsuits, wash rags, towels. Sometimes the towels are too heavy so I hang them over 2 magnets instead of 1, and that holds them.

MHDMAG Magnetic Hooks... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N57H5F6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited by ARandomTraveler

9 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I use these ones, they're small but very strong. They claim to hold 22nd but they don't. I use them for lanyards, hats, Fanny packs, wet swimsuits, wash rags, towels. Sometimes the towels are too heavy so I hang them over 2 magnets instead of 1, and that holds them.

MHDMAG Magnetic Hooks... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N57H5F6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I use those and their larger cousins.  

• Like 1

I wasn't able to get hooks for my last cruise.  Didn't find out about the great idea until a bit late.  I got magnetic clips from the dollar store (they didn't have hooks).  They were great for drying my bathing suit.  I got hooks for this cruise.  I'll use them for bathing suits, water shoes, toiletry bag.  

Just now, moposh said:

I wasn't able to get hooks for my last cruise.  Didn't find out about the great idea until a bit late.  I got magnetic clips from the dollar store (they didn't have hooks).  They were great for drying my bathing suit.  I got hooks for this cruise.  I'll use them for bathing suits, water shoes, toiletry bag.  

When I do hand laundry of light things, I wash/rinse and then roll up tight in towels to drip dry.  Transfer to hooks on hangers on the cabin ceiling.  

Hanging out on the balcony is iffy (and not recommended) and something I would never do unless docked up.  The Seagulls would end up wearing your delicates if they blow off into the wind!  😮😉 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

When I do hand laundry of light things, I wash/rinse and then roll up tight in towels to drip dry.  Transfer to hooks on hangers on the cabin ceiling.  

Hanging out on the balcony is iffy (and not recommended) and something I would never do unless docked up.  The Seagulls would end up wearing your delicates if they blow off into the wind!  😮😉 

I wouldn't hang on balcony either.  I read somewhere it's not a good idea.  Even if docked, might sail away, like you said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moposh said:

I wouldn't hang on balcony either.  I read somewhere it's not a good idea.  Even if docked, might sail away, like you said.

Not to mention the people down below getting hit with undies on their head.  Ewww...  😉 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

We found that the trick to using these on the walls is to put a second magnet under the one you are using to hang stuff. DW does this because she likes to hang her robe next to the bed and one of these magnets will slide with that much weight, but adding the second one below the first one as a blocker works like a charm

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

I know that I've read somewhere on these posts that people bring magnets for the room walls.  Can you give me some ideas on what you hang on the magnets? Trying to decide whether to purchase some to bring with us.  Thanks so much.

They are so helpful.  I put all hats and caps on them.  Also my seapass cards.  I use to hang important memos on also.  My beach robe and swimsuit to dry-  Also my beach bags.  Great to buy heavy duty types.  I use in bathroom to hang a clip clothes line in the bathroom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Hand wash laundry day.  

20220326_090856.jpg

Oh my gosh, this will be some helpful on my next cruise! I have done a couple of TAs before where I had to hand wash a few things. I never thought of this!!! Thank you!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mabbiez said:

Oh my gosh, this will be some helpful on my next cruise! I have done a couple of TAs before where I had to hand wash a few things. I never thought of this!!! Thank you!!

You are most welcome.  When I send out the "boil and fry" (AKA wash and fold bag) I also do the hand wash day...which is something I do on a sea day.  I pretty much buy clothes that are light and easily hand washed/dried for my cruise attire.  99% of our cruises are B2B and longer...does help.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We hang a clear plastic shoe holder for doors on magnet hangers on the wall.  (Couldn't find pic).  This gives you the opportunity to have several pockets to store stuff that you can easily see.

We normally don't use that when sailing in JS and above (love those walk in closets with lots of shelves!)...but we are stuck in a regular balcony for World Cruise...and indeed taking my hanging shoe pocket holder with us!  🙂   Have an additional couple of hanging storage pocket things which will go on wall magnets.  

I take too many color coordinated flip flops.  😄 

• Haha 1