Sir Samuel's Lounge ?

Joe33472

I've been searching online on Cunard's website as well as on CC and I can't find a lot of information about Sir Samuel's on QM2.    I wonder if anyone has a current menu?   I'm also wondering if coffee drinks on the premium beverage plan are included.    Are there other places on QM2 to get cappuccinos and lattes on board?   

I can't find anything about the Godiva afternoon tea at Sir Samuel's, so I'm thinking that that might be a thing of the past too?   

Other than a mention in the Afternoon Tea overview panel I can't find anything on the UK site.

There is a page on the French site with a short description, although I'd have expected the UK site to be more up to date.

• Like 1

I believe that you can get cappuccinos and lattes at the Carinthia Lounge as well - I know they have the TeaForte items, and I seem to recall seeing people drinking what looked like Fancy Coffee Drinks (tm) while I was sitting in there back in November. 

• Like 1

@Joe33472 You and I both have Grills premium drinks package and all the marketing for that level states “specialty hot drinks” are included with Premium. 

Also, Grills lounge serves coffee and tea but I’m not sure if premium coffees are served in that lounge. 
Not sure what’s happening with Sir Samuel’s. I think it’s the Godiva lounge now. I haven’t been onboard QM2 for sometime now but I do remember it from before. 
I’ll have a first-hand scouting report after my June ‘23 crossing. Maybe I’ll join you too in June 2024!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NE John said:

@Joe33472 You and I both have Grills premium drinks package and all the marketing for that level states “specialty hot drinks” are included with Premium. 

Also, Grills lounge serves coffee and tea but I’m not sure if premium coffees are served in that lounge. 
Not sure what’s happening with Sir Samuel’s. I think it’s the Godiva lounge now. I haven’t been onboard QM2 for sometime now but I do remember it from before. 
I’ll have a first-hand scouting report after my June ‘23 crossing. Maybe I’ll join you too in June 2024!

It's still Sir Samual's and his bust is still there. 

The major signage visible from the passage is for Godiva.

Oddly enough, despite being on board for a 26 night sailing, we did not indulge there even once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I believe that you can get cappuccinos and lattes at the Carinthia Lounge as well - I know they have the TeaForte items, and I seem to recall seeing people drinking what looked like Fancy Coffee Drinks (tm) while I was sitting in there back in November. 

Thanks!  Good to know that I can get coffee drinks in Carinthia too!  And thanks to all those who responded.   

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Can't wait to hear about your crossing and your first hand reports!  

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Grills lounge has make your own speciality coffee machine.

That's cool.  I knew that there was coffee in Grills Lounge, but figured it wasn't specialty coffee.  I found a pic of Sir Samuels online and the coffee machine looks like this on the left. 

image.thumb.png.4b3ae0936a16f6ba1f77aa142d2b2b43.png

I don't know what that type of machine is called, but I like the espresso that comes out of these types of machines a lot.   I'm not sure of the date of this picture, so they may have already installed something like this:

image.png.7c65d71ed0e9c2047e33013620843906.png

Starbuck and a lot of other retail coffee shops us the later or industrial versions of same, and it's okay in a pinch, but prefer the old school method.  

Edited by Joe33472

11 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

That's cool.  I knew that there was coffee in Grills Lounge, but figured it wasn't specialty coffee.  I found a pic of Sir Samuels online and the coffee machine looks like this on the left. 

I don't know what that type of machine is called, but I like the espresso that comes out of these types of machines a lot.   I'm not sure of the date of this picture, so they may have already installed something like this:

Starbuck and a lot of other retail coffee shops us the later or industrial versions of same, and it's okay in a pinch, but prefer the old school method.  

The first picture appears to be an old school espresso machine as you will find in good coffee shops everywhere - you put freshly ground coffee into the little receptable and force pressurized water through it. The second one, based on the cups appearing next to it, looks like it might be one of those  self-serve machines that uses coffee "syrups" (or sometimes non-freshly ground coffee) to make a variety of coffee drinks to order. I haven't seen any in coffee shops in the US, but you may be right about Starbucks. I have seen them in roadside "truck stops" in Italy. (They don't seem to have made much progress in US truck stops, which typically serve percolated coffee in urns.) As you say, the coffee from the second machine is sometimes acceptable, but not as good as the results from the real espresso machine.

A year ago, Sir Samuel's was still using a real espresso machine.

• Like 1

The machine in Sir Samuel's was a traditional commercial pressurised machine as in the first picture.

There is a similar one in Carinthia Lounge and I think in Commodore Club. Not sure if there are others.

After the first day we decided we preferred the ambiance of The Chart Room for my coffee, and my wife's tea and hot chocolate. The waiters there went to Sir Samuel's to get my Americanos. One less experienced waiter brought me a cup of brown water that was promptly returned. Apparently there is also a push button machine in the back area of The Chart Room bar, and he brought it from there.

So if you want proper coffee rather than just something hot and wet, make sure they bring it from the right machine.

• Like 2

I did find a front on photo of the machine in Sir Samuel's, which I suspect is copyright.

However I'm confident that this is the machine or at least the latest model of it.

I can get one delivered here in France for €10,300.

I think I might just make do with my existing pair.

m39_re_fronte_trasp.thumb.jpg.b5ce0f31911c17e853c57ae75fc4cc63.jpgIMG_20200503_124515640.thumb.jpg.00195e1e00a184ab57f3fee057fa8be6.jpg

33 minutes ago, D&N said:

I did find a front on photo of the machine in Sir Samuel's, which I suspect is copyright.

However I'm confident that this is the machine or at least the latest model of it.

I can get one delivered here in France for €10,300.

I think I might just make do with my existing pair.

IMG_20200503_124515640.thumb.jpg.00195e1e00a184ab57f3fee057fa8be6.jpg

Your existing setup looks great.   I have an automated espresso gadget at home that grinds the coffee, presses the coffee, and make espresso.   BUT, it's so big and bulky that eventually it found it's final resting place in my garage in a big green plastic bag.   It was by Gaggia and looks somthing like this:

Gaggia Concetto Cappuccino - 1 Group Fully Automatic - Bean to cup Coffee Machine

I need to put it on Nextdoor and find it a new home... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Your existing setup looks great.

We've had the Krups Vivo since 2006. Tiny, simple (it self primes if you forget to fill reservoir), and makes lovely coffee. It was threatening to develop leaks, hence the tray, and I got the Gaggia to replace it. But it keeps on going; it started smoking about a year ago so I opened it up and found a melted mains cable terminal, which I replaced and put in a new mains cable. Doesn't seem to leak as long as I fill the reservoir without removing it, and it's the least complex to let any visitors use.

The Gaggia's a bit more temperamental; I replaced a stupid pressurised basket with one with all over holes and it needs primed if it accidentally runs dry, but it makes great coffee too.

We use them alternately to make sure nothing corrodes. And there's an unused Lidl machine in a cupboard as a backup.

Edited by D&N

32 minutes ago, FritzG said:

The Grills Lounge has Tea Forte. If they don't have the one you want you can ask them to stock it if you go there frequently.

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm not a huge tea drinker, but my OH really likes tea, so perhaps she'll enjoy some of that.   I just looked and Tea Forte looks really nice.    Do you have a favorite flavor or recommendation?    

On 3/27/2023 at 6:17 PM, Joe33472 said:

I've been searching online on Cunard's website as well as on CC and I can't find a lot of information about Sir Samuel's on QM2.    I wonder if anyone has a current menu?   I'm also wondering if coffee drinks on the premium beverage plan are included.    Are there other places on QM2 to get cappuccinos and lattes on board?   

I can't find anything about the Godiva afternoon tea at Sir Samuel's, so I'm thinking that that might be a thing of the past too?   

They still had Godiva afternoon tea on our TA in October last year. Book on board. We were the only ones there when we went, very nice it was too.

7 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I'm not a huge tea drinker, but my OH really likes tea, so perhaps she'll enjoy some of that.   I just looked and Tea Forte looks really nice.    Do you have a favorite flavor or recommendation?    

I like the white ambrosia tea, green mango peach tea,  and blueberry merlot herbal tea. 

Edited by FritzG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dthompsond1 said:

They still had Godiva afternoon tea on our TA in October last year. Book on board. We were the only ones there when we went, very nice it was too.

The Godiva afternoon tea sounds amazing.  Hope it's still around next year.   Afternoon tea in the Queens Room looks great too.  

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

The Godiva afternoon tea sounds amazing.  Hope it's still around next year.   Afternoon tea in the Queens Room looks great too.  

There is also the Champagne Hi Tea in the Champagne Lounge.

We enjoyed very elegantly last year.