In-room coffee maker

Joelocal

We were recently on the Breakaway  and asked our room attendant if he could bring us a coffee maker for our Stateroom  during our cruise. 

Yes!  It uses a European plug.  It is the type that makes individual cups of coffee.  It uses the pod type pouches. Not the k cup type. You can purchase pre-made packets at Wallyworld.

We're purchased  some round filters that could be folded up with the coffee inside

Bought some creamer. Brought along our frother. Then were bought some local NOLA coffee from French Truck

This worked great for us first thing every morning. 20230325_075154.thumb.jpg.72ca7f865f2a6a89c7e92dc75b0bf6db.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joelocal said:

We were recently on the Breakaway  and asked our room attendant if he could bring us a coffee maker for our Stateroom  during our cruise. 

Yes!  It uses a European plug.  It is the type that makes individual cups of coffee.  It uses the pod type pouches. Not the k cup type. You can purchase pre-made packets at Wallyworld.

We're purchased  some round filters that could be folded up with the coffee inside

Bought some creamer. Brought along our frother. Then were bought some local NOLA coffee from French Truck

This worked great for us first thing every morning. 20230325_075154.thumb.jpg.72ca7f865f2a6a89c7e92dc75b0bf6db.jpg

Using regular coffee filters folded up is genius! Did it leak any coffee grounds? 

I make my own pods.  I buy pouches that are designed to make you own tea bags or tisanes ($5/100 on Amazon or WM website) I use 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp of grounds from our favorite Community Coffee fold the top over twice, staple across the top edge, four staples wide then use.  Do not use  the drawstring to close the bag as the grounds will float out.

• Like 1

Or you can ask your room steward for a whole pile of coffee pods. Yes, they have had some supply chain issues since the restart in 2021, but that would just force me to walk to the buffet to get coffee. I am not going to try and manufacture my own pods with staples. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Or you can ask your room steward for a whole pile of coffee pods. Yes, they have had some supply chain issues since the restart in 2021, but that would just force me to walk to the buffet to get coffee. I am not going to try and manufacture my own pods with staples. 

Not a fan of cruise ship or hotel coffee pods. Last cruise on the Breakaway it was just as hard to get extra pods as it was to get ice. Depending on where your cabin is located it could be a long walk to the buffet and back if all you want is to have a cup in your room.....which is why we bring our own, no biggy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uneamie said:

Last cruise on the Breakaway it was just as hard to get extra pods as it was to get ice.

For my last two cruses I asked for a machine but they could only supply decaf which was not great.

21 hours ago, Joelocal said:

No grounds in coffee. Makes about 6 ounces of coffee. If you're like me, you may need several cups,.

3 for me.

My DH likes his coffee stronger than I do and we have found that using that extra tsp makes a nice strong cup for him and still has enough flavor for a mild cup for me.  Especially since these are 6 ounce cups.  I bring enough to make three (six really) cups every morning, and seal them in a ziplock bag.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carohs said:

You lost me at frother. You froth coffeemate? 

Absolutely!

I froth in another cup then pour it ona cup of black coffee. That first gulp is delicious. 

You can get the frother on amazon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelocal said:

Absolutely!

I froth in another cup then pour it ona cup of black coffee. That first gulp is delicious. 

I have a stand up frother and I love it...I use it with half and half and coconut oil in my coffee. But alas it's too big to bring in my luggage, so I will abstain for a week. It does make the morning cup of coffee so nice. It's like having a little dessert. ha! 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:33 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I make my own pods.  I buy pouches that are designed to make you own tea bags or tisanes ($5/100 on Amazon or WM website) I use 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp of grounds from our favorite Community Coffee fold the top over twice, staple across the top edge, four staples wide then use.  Do not use  the drawstring to close the bag as the grounds will float out.

Thanks for the tip.....I wonder if "tape" will work as well as stapling it. Hmm! 

2 hours ago, Joelocal said:

Absolutely!

Thanks for the tip. I had never in my life even considered frothing coffee mate. You do realize it's non-dairy right?

While we're on the subject of frothers, I usually heat/froth oatmilk at home. Does anyone know if NCL stocks oatmilk or if I could just buy it steamed from starbucks?

On 3/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, Joelocal said:

How did you get a big bottle of flavored creamer on the ship? I usually by a box of the small individual creamers and pack in my luggage.

1 minute ago, carohs said:

Thanks for the tip. I had never in my life even considered frothing coffee mate. You do realize it's non-dairy right?

While we're on the subject of frothers, I usually heat/froth oatmilk at home. Does anyone know if NCL stocks oatmilk or if I could just buy it steamed from starbucks?

We put the coffeemate  in our checked in luggage.  We put it inside a zip locked bag in the middle of the suitcase 

You could probably do the same with oatmilk. 

Yup. Coffeemate is non-dairy. We purchase the sugar free version.

1 minute ago, NikiPinkston said:

Great, now I'm ordering a frother and buying Coffeemate for my checked luggage LOL! Seriously, what a great idea. Do you just whip up the Coffeemate cold?

Yes. Cold. Right from the in-cabin fridge.

At home I put the coffeemate  in a separate  mug and microwave for 30 seconds. Then froth  and pour over hot coffee 

• Thanks 1