Booked a Guaranteed Cabin and Cruise is sold out, should I be concerned?

I've never done the "Guaranteed Cabin" thing.  But, I have tried this bar code trick with my regular booking(s) and Android phone when I heard/read about it a long time ago.  The bar code did have the numbers at the bottom but I scanned it anyway and it did come up with the exact cabin # that I knew I had.  Does this help or do anything to add to the question?  I don't know.  Just my experience and I thought I'd throw it out there.

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

It was not a coincidence.  If you had employed “the barcode trick” being discussed on this thread (and elsewhere on CruiseCritic), you would have discovered your future cabin number was hiding in the barcode.

Possibly...possibly not. This was back in 2019.....I don't recall what the "status" of the RCI mobile app was back then...I don't recall using it...or if said barcode was visible on their website or not. While I did "stalk" RCI's website regularly for our cabin assignment...I didn't look for any input on that process here or on any other forum or social media site. 

I did the "barcode trick" for my December Anthem cruise.  I found that once the muster station was assigned, the cabin number did appear when I added my setsail pass to my Apple Wallet.  I'm not sure how Androids work, so not sure if it is the same.  The app did not show my cabin until a week before we boarded, though the barcode trick worked about 2 months before I boarded.

Good luck!  If you have a muster station assigned, I'm sure they have assigned a cabin.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It’s not that simple for gty rooms

If not used for GTY rooms, why is the "barcode trick" needed at all?  If you have a cabin you've chosen, you should know the cabin number.  If you have a GTY, you won't know the cabin until they tell you.  The trick allows you to find out beforehand. Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If not used for GTY rooms, why is the "barcode trick" needed at all?  If you have a cabin you've chosen, you should know the cabin number.  If you have a GTY, you won't know the cabin until they tell you.  The trick allows you to find out beforehand. Or am I missing something?

I think there is a thread in here somewhere that addressed this.  If I remember correctly, the bar code with the cabin number is shown or discoverable using the app, the bar code app is just an accounting/inventory tool and is subject to change right up to the time of boarding.  The guarantee is a cabin category guarantee, not an exact cabin assignment guarantee. 

Just my sometimes flawed memory of this subject. 

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I think there is a thread in here somewhere that addressed this.  If I remember correctly, the bar code with the cabin number is shown or discoverable using the app, the bar code app is just an accounting/inventory tool and is subject to change right up to the time of boarding.  The guarantee is a cabin category guarantee, not an exact cabin assignment guarantee. 

Just my sometimes flawed memory of this subject. 

And again, I ask... why would anyone need to use the "barcode trick" if they DIDN'T have a guarantee cabin?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And again, I ask... why would anyone need to use the "barcode trick" if they DIDN'T have a guarantee cabin?  

I can only speak for myself and I did it once to see if it worked, see post #26, and it did.  I'm a serious IT geek wannabe.  Not even close to proficient, but a serious wannabe.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

I love how people assume everyone has an Apple Phone.  We never have.  Why not give every option when replying?

People don't work here.

They give options they know about.

• Like 2

Back to the topic:

I never believe that a cruise and/or category is sold out until, maybe, a day or two before embarkation day.  I've seen, toooooooo many times, things (cruises, categories, excursions, packages, whatever) looking as if they were sold out, just to look later and it's available again.  As the old saying goes, "NEVER GIVE UP".  To answer the OP's question directly, as already stated, don't worry, your cruise booking is safe unless they completely overbooked the cruise.  But, I wouldn't worry about that either.

46 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I agree; no trick is needed unless you have an unassigned gty.

Did you read the post to which I responded?  In response to a question about the barcode trick, a poster who said they did not know about gty barcodes talked about the numbers under other barcodes.  I told that poster it is not that simple for gty.  

13 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I agree; no trick is needed unless you have an unassigned gty.

Did you read the post to which I responded?  In response to a question about the barcode trick, a poster who said they did not know about gty barcodes talked about the numbers under other barcodes.  I told that poster it is not that simple for gty.  

I did but misread, and therefore misunderstood your reply.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrewFoundLander said:

Open the app, click on show set sail pass and then click on add set sail pass to apple wallet and it shows with a bar code, the last 4 digits are the assigned cabin to the reservation. This is our GTY on Anthem, originally under stateroom it said GTY but 6166 was in the barcode, now the room has been assigned accordingly.

Capture.JPG

unnamed.jpg

Thanks, I was able to use an iPhone and was finally able to see the numbers revealing what is likely to be my cabin number.  Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

No worries that you will be cabinless! If you see a muster station station, RCI has secretly picked a cabin for you (otherwise they would not know which muster station).  The barcode trick will work. Use the technique the others describe (apple wallet or a barcode reading app).  Or just wait if you are the patient sort; it will be revealed eventually.  My last two assignments were hidden in the barcode until from 45-31 days out.  At 30 days out they were revealed.  YMMV.

The bar code trick worked.  I was able to use an Apple phone and it worked just as described.  Thanks to everyone for your help.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swdke said:

Hello, we have booked a Guaranteed Cabin and understand that we might not be assigned a cabin perhaps until the day of departure.  The cruise seems to be sold out, should we be concerned about a possible overbooking situation and not be assigned a cabin at all?  Thanks.

We had the same situation on the Allure recently, sold out ship and ocean view balcony guarantee.  We received our room assignment exactly 30 days before our sailing.

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

They do not. If I understood the post correctly he was just doing it to validate that the barcode trick worked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

@swdke

Maybe post a screen shot of your babarcode hear and someone could do the barcode trick for you.   This  is totally a guess. I have never tried it.  

Yes that will work. I have a barcode reader app on my Android phone. I was able to scan the barcode in post #7 and view the numbers and they match what was listed in that post. 

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Hover your mouse over a user icon, avatar or picture to the left of their post.  After a few seconds you will some some options including an ignore button.  

image.thumb.jpeg.eece889dfcaf183fc3de6840c8a82aee.jpeg

But you only gave advice for those on computer!!! On my Android phone (don't know nothing about Apple phones), I go up to the home icon,  go to account, go to ignored users and add a name. It's a lovely feature

• Like 1