Princess Cruises - Wine in Plastic Container

BuckeyeTraveler

I realize that Princess allows passengers to bring 1 bottle of wine onboard at embarkation but I am wondering if they would allow wine that was transferred from a glass wine bottle into a plastic container for the wine.  I will be traveling with some friends who are concerned of carrying a bottle of wine in the carry-on luggage, due to the weight, and would like to put the wine into a plastic container, which weighs much less.  Any ideas if this would be allowed? Thanks.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BuckeyeTraveler said:

I realize that Princess allows passengers to bring 1 bottle of wine onboard at embarkation but I am wondering if they would allow wine that was transferred from a glass wine bottle into a plastic container for the wine.  I will be traveling with some friends who are concerned of carrying a bottle of wine in the carry-on luggage, due to the weight, and would like to put the wine into a plastic container, which weighs much less.  Any ideas if this would be allowed? Thanks.

No. Has to be sealed in its original container.

• Like 7

Once you open a bottle of wine and expose it to oxygen, it starts to deteriorate.Some older, better wines need to breath, while the average plonk starts to fade quickly. The better option is a wine bottle diaper or protective sleeve like these on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wine+diapers+for+travel&crid=E3956BG6GW8G&sprefix=wine+di%2Caps%2C113&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_7

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BuckeyeTraveler said:

You might start by rereading the Passage Contract. It's pretty clear.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rabbi-Reefer said:

Once you open a bottle of wine and expose it to oxygen, it starts to deteriorate.Some older, better wines need to breath, while the average plonk starts to fade quickly. The better option is a wine bottle diaper or protective sleeve like these on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wine+diapers+for+travel&crid=E3956BG6GW8G&sprefix=wine+di%2Caps%2C113&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_4_7

Thank you for your response but we were concerned about the weight of the bottle rather than keeping the bottle safe but good to know for the future.  I had never heard of the bottle diaper!

Have you considered purchasing your wine after the flight?  I am sure the wine, once opened + exposure to length of time opened + airplane transport in cargo, can't be good for the product (even if it were allowed).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BuckeyeTraveler said:

Considering the cheep stuff we buy, I don't think it makes that much difference. 

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Two buck Chuck?

Not quite, but close. 

We stopped going to the free wine tasting a while back as we disliked all of their wines. 

I suppose we just don't know good form bad.

We just drink what we like.

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Not quite, but close. 

We stopped going to the free wine tasting a while back as we disliked all of their wines. 

I suppose we just don't know good form bad.

We just drink what we like.

I've seen a couple of TV shows in the past where wine snobs participated in blind taste testings and more often than not, the cheaper wine won and fooled their sophisticated palates. 

One of the wineries in the Napa valley summed it up on a tour when the guide said that one should drink the wine they like regardless of the price or the label.   I think it was Beringer's, but it may have been Charles Krug.  

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

one should drink the wine they like regardless of the price or the label.

That's easy advice to take until you taste several wines blind and later learn that the one you really liked is $200 per bottle!!  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

That's easy advice to take until you taste several wines blind and later learn that the one you really liked is $200 per bottle!!  

Yikes!

What did you do?  Go for choice #1 or drop down a notch?

I had a buddy in college who used to joke that the best wine was drunk from a brown paper bag behind the store where you bought it.

Don't know whatever happened to him. 😁

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, BuckeyeTraveler said:

1 - You cannot carry wine on a plane.  2 -No cruise line has ever weigh my carryon.

5 minutes ago, caribsun said:

1 - You cannot carry wine on a plane.

The question posed was about including the bottle in the carry-on luggage at the port. Not a plane.  For a discussion about wine on planes, you would have to go to Flight Critic, not Cruise Critic. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The question posed was about including the bottle in the carry-on luggage at the port. Not a plane.  For a discussion about wine on planes, you would have to go to Flight Critic, not Cruise Critic. 

Okay, They can purchase special plastic containers that are mostly undetectable in check luggage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caribsun said:

They can purchase special plastic containers that are mostly undetectable in check luggage.

The wine allowance for Princess states that the wine must be brought on in carry-on luggage.  You cannot put it in checked luggage, irrespective of what sort of container you put it in.  Let's not overcomplicate or overthink this.  Thousands of bottles of wine in their original glass containers are brought on to Princess ships around the world every week.  Just put the bottle in a shoulder bag and carry it on for heaven's sake.  It's not going to break.  A wine bottle is not an egg shell.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our family members like to travel with their own wine and have purchased suitcases that are TSA approved for specifically flying with wine.  They usually travel with up to twelve bottles in a suitcase and have always had the suitcase go on the ship as checked baggage.  For some reason Princess has never charged them a corkage fee and we have dined with them when it was brought to dining room, usually every night?

https://www.amazon.com/VinGardeValise-Bottles-Purpose-Travel-Suitcase/dp/B07GSGC799

Edited by Princessfan20

1 hour ago, caribsun said:

1 - You cannot carry wine on a plane.  2 -No cruise line has ever weigh my carryon.

Wine can be carried on a plane in check luggage.  The only restrictions in this category relate to alcohol content, which is capped at 70% or 140 proof. The wine typically falls around 11-14% alcohol so you will be fine.  Overall the best way to carry wine on a plane is in checked luggage and there are many products you can buy to protect wine in a suitcase.  Also, if wine is purchased in Duty Free you can carry it on a plane. 

Edited by PrincessLuver

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The wine allowance for Princess states that the wine must be brought on in carry-on luggage.  You cannot put it in checked luggage, irrespective of what sort of container you put it in.  Let's not overcomplicate or overthink this.  Thousands of bottles of wine in their original glass containers are brought on to Princess ships around the world every week.  Just put the bottle in a shoulder bag and carry it on for heaven's sake.  It's not going to break.  A wine bottle is not an egg shell.  

I am sorry but my original post seems to have been misunderstood by several people. I am not concerned that the bottle will break.... I said that I will be traveling with some people who have difficulty with their carry-on luggage due to the weight of the luggage....without any bottle.  They would like to be able to bring a bottle of wine on board, which is allowed on Princess, in their carry-on, but the bottle adds excess weight, along with the wine.  If they  could bring the wine in a plastic container, the weight would not be as much.  All of this is mute because one of the first responders mentioned that the wine has to be sealed in the original container.  Thank you all for your responses, even those of you who found it necessary to be nasty in your response, but I think this has been answered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would they be able to carry/drag it just through security?  You carry it to there, then they own it though the wine check - if any, then once it is in the boarding area, you can carry it on the ship for them.  I'd be happy to do it for them - wink wink nudge nudge. Or would they trust you that much?

I.e. no one cares if the wine was carried by them from end to end, only though the checkpoint..

On 4/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Rabbi-Reefer said:

In the past I have used those exact wine "diapers" several times and never had an issue. Of course my wine never leaked but I watched videos of these in action and they seem to work very well if there is an issue.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:12 PM, Princessfan20 said:

Our family members like to travel with their own wine and have purchased suitcases that are TSA approved for specifically flying with wine.  They usually travel with up to twelve bottles in a suitcase and have always had the suitcase go on the ship as checked baggage.  For some reason Princess has never charged them a corkage fee and we have dined with them when it was brought to dining room, usually every night?

https://www.amazon.com/VinGardeValise-Bottles-Purpose-Travel-Suitcase/dp/B07GSGC799

My wife's sister has used a similar item to bring wine from California to a Thanksgiving dinner in Florida. We were all quite pleased that she did so. 😁 If one wants to transport good wines it grants a measure of certainty that the wine will arrive intact. (I don't buy the kinds of wines she buys. They are really nice but I'm too cheap. 🤪)

Staying overnight before the cruise at the embarkation port?  I'd ship the wine to the hotel I'm staying at and have them sign for it and then it would be there ready for me to bring on board.  Of course, I'd call the hotel direct to ensure that they will sign for a shipment prior to my arrival.  I've had to do this in the past with gear and equipment for conferences and most hotel management seem happy to accept shipments for guests that are booked a few days out from the arrival of an item.

Uline, the shipping supplies and warehouse equipment company has lots of shipping supplies, and many specifically for wine.

https://www.uline.com/Grp_237/Wine-Shippers-and-Supplies?keywords=wine+shipper&SearchKeyword=wine shipper

Properly boxed, airlines will check wine into checked luggage.  I live in an area with a lot of wineries and most of the airlines will let you check a box of wine no charge out of the airports in wine country.  You won't see that outside of a wine producing region, but it is a nice piece of customer service.  Properly packaged, wine as a checked item should easily survive the flights.  I mean, if you mail order wine it is shipped UPS or FedEx, do you think they are handling boxes of wine any differently than they handle any other box of goods, no.  So, wine in a quality wine shipper can handle a lot of abuse and movement with no issues.

• Like 1