Why are Deck 5 cabins on Oosterdam more expensive than higher decks?

ilovhywd

We can’t figure this out!  We saw a photo online of a Deck 5 verandah cabin showing the entire top of the lifeboat right below the verandah.  Of course you have a great view OVER the lifeboat, but these cabins should be less expensive, not more expensive.

Any ideas?

36 minutes ago, ilovhywd said:

We can’t figure this out!  We saw a photo online of a Deck 5 verandah cabin showing the entire top of the lifeboat right below the verandah.  Of course you have a great view OVER the lifeboat, but these cabins should be less expensive, not more expensive.

Any ideas?

It’s for when HAL “upgrades” you, or for inexperienced cruisers. Same is true for the added Juliet verandahs on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  Those deck 10 cabins used to be the least expensive verandahs on the ship. It’s hard to complain when you are “upgraded” to a higher category cabin. Or, if you don’t know better, you think you are getting a great cabin. It’s a marketing ploy.

• Like 1

I am hooked on booking Deck 7 for every cruise.. Two floors away from 9, easy climb to the food. Quieter than Deck 8 which is what I used to book.

And if I need exercise, a good stair workout to Crows nest up, or shops etc down!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ellencruise said:

I am hooked on booking Deck 7 for every cruise.. Two floors away from 9, easy climb to the food. Quieter than Deck 8 which is what I used to book.

And if I need exercise, a good stair workout to Crows nest up, or shops etc down!

Same here.  I love the upper decks and I know exactly where to find my DH on the lido.  I start the day in the Crows nest sipping my specialty coffee then off to the spa/gym.  I don’t need to go downstairs except for dinner or leaving the ship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilovhywd said:

Any ideas?

There are very few midship verandah category cabins on the higher decks.  The majority of the midship category cabins above deck 5 on this ship are Signature and Neptune suites which are much pricier than a verandah.  (If you are seeing a lifeboat in your photo they are located mid ship.). 

Verandah cabins that are mid ship are the priciest, generally speaking due to their location.  Cabins in the forward and aft area are usually cheaper (excluding the ones at the very back with the wake view)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kazu said:

There are very few midship verandah category cabins on the higher decks.  The majority of the midship category cabins above deck 5 on this ship are Signature and Neptune suites which are much pricier than a verandah.  (If you are seeing a lifeboat in your photo they are located mid ship.). 

Verandah cabins that are mid ship are the priciest, generally speaking due to their location.  Cabins in the forward and aft area are usually cheaper (excluding the ones at the very back with the wake view)

This exactly. For anyone prone to seasickness, midship, on a lower deck is better. So 5 is quite desirable from that perspective. We booked on 6 so we weren’t directly above the lifeboats. I do think the lifeboats may give you a bit more privacy too

• Like 2

We just got off Oosterdam and had a verandah on Deck 8 - far forward. Loved the location. Under part of the spa so very quiet. No problem with movement. Fun to check in on the bridge officers. I’d definitely recommend that location. 

Even though we are looking dow on a life boat on deck 5  on Koningsdam handicap balcony ,it is better than Deck 8 handicap because the lifo & other activities are right above you .Thus the possibility of noises is always there