LIVE from the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Eastern Caribbean, April 9-16, 2023

BirdTravels

Today’s recommended beach is Coconut Cove. The all inclusive includes a Dominican beach buffet with bbq chicken and fish an all-u-can-drink rum punches / beer / soda

IMG_3496.thumb.jpeg.193c2f23ef7504e424fed9c3ae139265.jpegIMG_3494.thumb.jpeg.a859419e475755dab14c6fa9537b10ff.jpegIMG_3493.thumb.jpeg.0d39618648b59cbc2b6701cf6afc09eb.jpeg

Pina Colada in pineapple and coco loco in coconut are e tea charge. 

IMG_3516.jpeg

IMG_3534.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 6

The Captain informed us that our departure from Puerto Plata would be slightly delayed due to wind. This time last year, the Encore’s sister, the Escape, left the DR in high winds and ended up running aground and punching a hole in the hull. Passengers were evacuated and flown home. And the Escape had to undergo two dry docks (a wet dock in Port Canaveral and a more extensive dry dock in Europe) to fully repair the damage. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Captain informed us that our departure from Puerto Plata would be slightly delayed due to wind. This time last year, the Encore’s sister, the Escape, left the DR in high winds and ended up running aground and punching a hole in the hull. Passengers were evacuated and flown home. And the Escape had to undergo two dry docks (a wet dock in Port Canaveral and a more extensive dry dock in Europe) to fully repair the damage. 

I'm very glad to hear that the Captain is taking great care with you and the Encore. We are looking forward to hopping onboard after you disembark Sunday for our first Haven adventure. It wouldn't do to have the ship get "dented" and have our upcoming voyage cancelled. (How's that for selfish? 😉

I hope you have much enjoyment during the remainder of your cruise time. Also, thank you for all of the info you have taken the time to provide here! It is invaluable to those like me who will be first-timers on Encore. 👍

25 minutes ago, KJ Knowles said:

I'm very glad to hear that the Captain is taking great care with you and the Encore. We are looking forward to hopping onboard after you disembark Sunday for our first Haven adventure. It wouldn't do to have the ship get "dented" and have our upcoming voyage cancelled. (How's that for selfish? 😉

I hope you have much enjoyment during the remainder of your cruise time. Also, thank you for all of the info you have taken the time to provide here! It is invaluable to those like me who will be first-timers on Encore. 👍

We ended up leaving about 75 mins late. I suppose if they put a few more coals in fires down in the engine room, we’ll be able to make that time up. No dents. 

There are actually quite a few B2B passengers who are staying on for the crossing. 

But someone was talking about 4000 passengers, which is a lot, for the crossing. The Bird will see if that number can be confirmed. We’re at 4800, spring break, passengers this week (which tend to be more obnoxious). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Beautiful pictures.  Just wondering if anyone know why the port stop in Tortola is so short?   We are booked for the end of 2024 (forever away) and our port time is-1p.  Yes 7hrs, but I am not sure why anyone would want to be up and off the ship at 6a.

I am on the Encore Jan 2024. 10 day.  Our stop in Tortola is 6am to 5pm.  It is one of the few cruises that are there the full day, its the main reason I picked this cruise.

11 hours ago, KJ Knowles said:

I'm very glad to hear that the Captain is taking great care with you and the Encore. We are looking forward to hopping onboard after you disembark Sunday for our first Haven adventure. It wouldn't do to have the ship get "dented" and have our upcoming voyage cancelled. (How's that for selfish? 😉) . 👍

Ha! We’re on that cruise tomorrow as well and like yourself, first time Haven cruisers 😁

Don’t worry about being selfish- it was EXACTLY the same thought first crossing my mind when reading that post. Saying that- thank you so much @BirdTravels for these posts over the last few days, totally made our last week of eagerly waiting for our cruise (and those two nasty long flights from Sydney to Tokyo and then Tokyo to NYC)!

Off to Miami later today and struggling to contain the excitement (and the Jetlag!).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The A List is a secret bar nestled between Cagney’s and Los Lobos. It is a great place for a quiet drink. Originally we thought it was named after former CEO Andy Stuart.
IMG_2464.thumb.jpeg.83326c3d50b81e39685e59bed2e93425.jpegIMG_2469.thumb.jpeg.e6e0e8f579f8fd882c6e702567604378.jpegIMG_3415.thumb.jpeg.73ea00540c9b2d462bdc16773cae5a3c.jpegIMG_3416.thumb.jpeg.18872c0f33d5e8f7295c073568a87465.jpegIMG_3417.thumb.jpeg.0fb13cf656afd13c13a62f9eb6933b41.jpegIMG_3419.thumb.jpeg.5badf88bd847435793141099443f3a37.jpegIMG_3420.thumb.jpeg.b7ff1bd93c2dab9365e719cdabd7a60e.jpeg 

IMG_3421.jpeg

Bird--this is the current list from A List Bar???  It shows Baileys at $13 and Bubly being on board.  I thought that Baileys was more than $15 and is included in the Plus package, but not the regular.  I also thought that Bubly was discontinued due to the fact that it is a Pepsi product--it also lists regular Pepsi products

3 hours ago, tsahall01 said:

Bird--this is the current list from A List Bar???  It shows Baileys at $13 and Bubly being on board.  I thought that Baileys was more than $15 and is included in the Plus package, but not the regular.  I also thought that Bubly was discontinued due to the fact that it is a Pepsi product--it also lists regular Pepsi products

That is the current menu on the app onboard. I can try and get a photo of the paper menu. 

• Like 1

Hi Bird.

How is the service? Was on Bliss 2 weeks ago, long lines to get into MDR's and when you did get in, they couldn't figure out where your table was, would wander around. with people to be seated following behind. Also, wondered a couple of times, if they had to catch the fish, or go get the cow, took so long to get served. Had to ask for bread a few times also. 

We ate in the buffet for lunch but sat outside. Very crowded. 

Will be on Encore to Alaska in a couple of weeks. Like the ship. 

Edited by drumming cruisers
  • Haha 1

The service this week has been outstanding, considering that we are at 120% capacity. The Bird isn’t one to go to dinner at peak time, then complain about the crowds. The Birds go early to minimize the crowds. We really really like  Freestyle Dining over the archaic early and late seating that Royal still uses for the majority of their passengers. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

On 4/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, BirdTravels said:

Today’s recommended beach is Coconut Cove. The all inclusive includes a Dominican beach buffet with bbq chicken and fish an all-u-can-drink rum punches / beer / soda

Curious what the cost was for that all-inclusive.

For anyone joining the crossing today, the Encore is NOT at the NCL terminal B. We docked at Terminal D. 

There is supposedly a shuttle to take people back to Terminal B to pick up their cars. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

An industry changing innovation from NCL is the Waterfront. Running on both the starboard and port sides of the ship, the Waterfront provides shaded, comfy sofas and chairs the relax and watch the sea. You will find The Bird roosting there on sea days enjoying the waves. There are also tables for the restaurants that can be used for games and writing. 

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

• Like 2