Venice to the Cruise Port

JMorris271

Hello cruisers. 

Does anyone know the best way to get from Marco Polo to Trieste  where the cruise ships dock? We arrive in Venice May 7. Our boarding time is 1pm on May 8.

Thanks for your help.

';30

9 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Does anyone know the best way to get from Marco Polo to Trieste  where the cruise ships dock? We arrive in Venice May 7. Our boarding time is 1pm on May 8.

Typically the cruise line will offer transfers that are at or sometime below what private providers have. Trieste is about an hour and forty five minutes away depending on traffic from VCE.

Also are you planning on spending any time in Venice the first day or headed straight for Trieste? 

Are you sailing with NCL ? If so, they offered a transfer to Trieste last yr but only from VCE, I think it was around $60.

As you noticed from my earlier post, we stayed in Mestre precruise. Took the train from Mestre to Trieste.  Keep in mind that it's about a 20 minute walk to the pier from the Trieste train station.

After the cruise we took FlixBus from Trieste to VCE.  The bus depot is within a block of the train stn.

The train and bus were about 15E pp. 

6 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Are you sailing with NCL ? If so, they offered a transfer to Trieste last yr but only from VCE, I think it was around $60.

As you noticed from my earlier post, we stayed in Mestre precruise. Took the train from Mestre to Trieste.  Keep in mind that it's about a 20 minute walk to the pier from the Trieste train station.

After the cruise we took FlixBus from Trieste to VCE.  The bus depot is within a block of the train stn.

The train and bus were about 15E pp. 

You’re the first person that I have read who has used FlixBus. Their price is by far the best but I’ve not seen enough positive info to consider them. Can you give some info about them and your experience?

12 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

You’re the first person that I have read who has used FlixBus. Their price is by far the best but I’ve not seen enough positive info to consider them. Can you give some info about them and your experience?

Flixbus was fine. It was clean, comfortable, and had free wifi. Sorry but it's hard to get too enthusiastic about a 2 hr bus ride !  I have nothing negative to say about the experience.  Would certainly use them again. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the deal is with Trenitalia from Santa Lucia this summer? I’m looking for Venice (Santa Lucia) to Trieste, but it seems the only option is “get yourself to Mestre by ground transportation and then get on the train to Trieste.” 

Not sure if they’re having issues with the train causeway, or have just changed the schedules dramatically? I was pretty sure there was a nonstop from the terminal on Venice island to Trieste. 

I may just be looking too soon, or there are service changes planned? It’s only showing three trains a day past the second week of June. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy

There is a system-wide update in the second week of June, most regional trains past that date are not loaded into the system.  Look at the same trip one day in the next week or two, the update won't change dramatically from that.

There is absolutely no point in purchasing regional train tickets in advance.  There is no seat assignment and trains cannot sell out, and the price doesn't change as it does with seat-assigned trains.  Just wait and purchase on site, or on the app just before you board the train.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1