Any way to pre-book 3 night dining package before sail ?

Has anyone figured out a way to pre-book specialty dining in advance of being on board when you purchase the 3-night dining package? 

Based on what I see in other posts, it looks like the 'advice' is to book the restaurants you want separately, pay full price & then have them convert to your 3 nights free when on board (thus generating credit for the full price payments)? 

Does this work - does it 'peeve' the team off when this happens? Does it work?

BTW - I only have a JRSuite, so won't have a Genie.

Edited by cruizer rick

15 minutes ago, cruizer rick said:

Has anyone figured out a way to pre-book specialty dining in advance of being on board when you purchase the 3-night dining package?  TIA

Yes, book a suite and have the concierge book your dining time the week before departure. 😉 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cruizer rick said:

Has anyone figured out a way to pre-book specialty dining in advance of being on board when you purchase the 3-night dining package? 

Based on what I see in other posts, it looks like the 'advice' is to book the restaurants you want separately, pay full price & then have them convert to your 3 nights free when on board (thus generating credit for the full price payments)? 

Does this work - does it 'peeve' the team off when this happens? Does it work?

BTW - I only have a JRSuite, so won't have a Genie.

The trade off for getting the lower price is that you have to wait until you board to book them

I have read of those who purchased a dining package, then pre-booked (and prepaid) their individual specialty dining meals and then asked for a refund for the individual reservations, once onboard.  It seems that Royal has caught on to this "hack" and is enforcing the 48 hour cancellation policy.  So, if you book (and prepay) a specialty dining reservation for either night #1 or #2, then try and get a refund for the full prepaid price, they will waive the 48 hour cancellation policy at you and potentially not refund your money.  I have never done this....so I cannot testify that it's true.  It's just what I have read.

Pay full price......get first pick

Pay reduced priect....get leftovers.

This has always been that way.  I'm pretty sure if you cancel on the ship, all you get is OBC.  Will it work?  Seems like a lot of hassle, just to get a time slot.  Plus in theory, you can cancel on the ship, and before it can be rebooked, someone else booked the newly opened slot, which would be funny.

5 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Pay full price......get first pick

Pay reduced priect....get leftovers.

This has always been that way.  I'm pretty sure if you cancel on the ship, all you get is OBC.  Will it work?  Seems like a lot of hassle, just to get a time slot.  Plus in theory, you can cancel on the ship, and before it can be rebooked, someone else booked the newly opened slot, which would be funny.

Hey - I hear ya (and mostly agree)... however this is my 1st time doing a 3 night specialty and feel like I'm going to be eating at 10PM every night - was hoping for some sage advice & not getting leftovers.

13 minutes ago, cruizer rick said:

Hey - I hear ya (and mostly agree)... however this is my 1st time doing a 3 night specialty and feel like I'm going to be eating at 10PM every night - was hoping for some sage advice & not getting leftovers.

Then why not cancel the package and just book at full price?

I might be wrong, but I think we're in the same situation. It's our first time booking a 5 night specialty dining, we are going on a 12-night cruise. From what I understand, once we board, we set about and book the dining nights, somehow, we aren't yet sure how to do it. But I don't think you can book it before boarding.

If anyone has any input on this, please. Who do we go and see about booking the specialty nights for dining, and I am assuming the day we board?

57 minutes ago, cruizer rick said:

feel like I'm going to be eating at 10PM every night

You won’t be.  As long as you book your rezzies as soon as you board, you will have plenty of options for days and times.  Last week on EX the only “compromise” we had to make was instead of eating at Chops at 6:45 on night #2 (formal night), we had to eat at 7:45.  Big deal.  We got all of the other dates and times we originally wanted.

7 minutes ago, jencruzin said:

I might be wrong, but I think we're in the same situation. It's our first time booking a 5 night specialty dining, we are going on a 12-night cruise. From what I understand, once we board, we set about and book the dining nights, somehow, we aren't yet sure how to do it. But I don't think you can book it before boarding.

If anyone has any input on this, please. Who do we go and see about booking the specialty nights for dining, and I am assuming the day we board?

Just go to any of the specialty restaurants as soon as possible after you board. The maitre d’ will make all your reservations for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

You won’t be.  As long as you book your rezzies as soon as you board, you will have plenty of options for days and times.  Last week on EX the only “compromise” we had to make was instead of eating at Chops at 6:45 on night #2 (formal night), we had to eat at 7:45.  Big deal.  We got all of the other dates and times we originally wanted.

Even Teppanyaki ??  That one is so intimate & popular, can't imagine it will work out.

We have booked full price many times and then once on board we switch to a pre paid package night. Never a problem, always a fully refundable OBC.  Have read several posts that this plan works best if you want to secure a reservation at the Teppanyaki Grill.  Don't worry about losing your time slot, you can go to GS and do a switch, go to the venue after you board or even go to the restaurant and when you get the bill you just let them know you are using a package night.  Last cruise we switched a full price Jamies dinner to the D+ BOGO as we walked into the restaurant and talked to the hostess, this was on night 7 of a 10 night cruise on Quantum.. 

8 hours ago, cruizer rick said:

Even Teppanyaki ??  That one is so intimate & popular, can't imagine it will work out.

I have always gotten close to the time I wanted with Teppanyaki. Just book as quickly as possible once you are onboard.