Cans of Soda—Plus Package

hawaiisloth1

We’re on the Emerald right now. Panama Canal LA-Ft. Lauderdale.  Great cruise so far.

Had read cans of soda weren’t included in the Plus Package (which we have—old version, purchased last summer.  BTW, everything included up to $15, as people have said).

First few days—ordered sodas as fountain drinks. Server asked if we wanted cans, as included. I said “sure,” as a test. Never charged. Have now gotten several cans—never charged.

We were next to a woman today who had that same dialogue with a server, who on request checked with her manager, who said cans covered by package.

[Sorry if someone has already posted this].

Mark

• Like 4

I wouldn't extend one data point to expect this fleetwide.  The T&Cs for the Plus Package clearly say fountain soda is included and canned soda is available at a 25% discount.

Sometimes one ship will start a norm for deviating from policy or creating their own policy, either in favor or against guests, until they eventually get the smack fountain from Corporate. 

If against guests, Corporate will get eventually get enough complaints to put 2 and 2 together that the ship is going rogue.  If for guests, a financial or operational threshold may be exceeded or an unusual pattern noticed (e.g. Emerald is going through twice the canned (more expensive) soda than it used to), so someone at Corporate investigates and finds the room cause.

However, it does seem really odd that the Zero Alcohol Package and the Classic Soda Package now DO include cans:

(Click on the terms and conditions for them)

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

If Plus/Premier DON'T include cans, which the terms stil indicate, Princess has once again created a confusing mess....

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

IMO, That doesn’t make sense that can pop is not included in the beverage package as they can’t be more then $15… and it is a beverage.  Why wouldn’t it just count as one of your 15 for the day.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

IMO, That doesn’t make sense that can pop is not included in the beverage package as they can’t be more then $15… and it is a beverage.  Why wouldn’t it just count as one of your 15 for the day.

1. Because that makes the guidelines even more complicated... nonalcoholic drinks are unlimited, with the exception of canned sodas which count against the 15 daily alcoholic drinks. 

2. Because Princess makes the rules. 

• Like 1

I’m on the Discovery Princess and like an occasional Root Beer which only comes in cans on the ship. When asked a server reported that cans are now also complementary on the Princess Plus/ Premier plans. It appears the written policy has not caught up to this recent change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/11/2023 at 9:43 AM, SCX22 said:

Currently on the Sky Princess and have noticed the same thing.  Ordering cans of sodas don't incur extra charges with the the Princess Plus/Premier Packages.

That would be a great change for the plus package. We usually bring on a stash for in cabin use even if on the plus package. It would be great to see this in the package details. However, we bought our package before recent increases so who knows if they would be included for us.

Had Plus on Sky Princess last month. Often ordered cans of ginger ale from a bar to take back to my cabin. No charge. Even ordered on the app delivered to my cabin a couple times. At first the app showed canned soda as $2.50 each.But after adding to my cart and before placing the order it showed the charge was reversed.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cavecreekguy said:

Had Plus on Sky Princess last month. Often ordered cans of ginger ale from a bar to take back to my cabin. No charge. Even ordered on the app delivered to my cabin a couple times. At first the app showed canned soda as $2.50 each.But after adding to my cart and before placing the order it showed the charge was reversed.

Ginger ale is not available on the guns on any ship I hss as be been on   When I have asked for a can of Diet Coke I have been charged since it is available on the gun

• Like 1

13 hours ago, memoak said:

Ginger ale is not available on the guns on any ship I hss as be been on   When I have asked for a can of Diet Coke I have been charged since it is available on the gun

May I ask when was the last time you tried to order a can of diet coke on Princess rather than a fountain drink? I think we're talking about a recent change here, maybe as part of the new plus package, which I think just started in February.

37 minutes ago, cavecreekguy said:

May I ask when was the last time you tried to order a can of diet coke on Princess rather than a fountain drink? I think we're talking about a recent change here, maybe as part of the new plus package, which I think just started in February.

Last month asked for a can since we do not like soft drinks out of the gun and we’re reminded that there would be a cost   The plus beverage description on the Princess website 

Edited by memoak

This is strange.  On the Sky Princess in early March I asked one of the bartenders at one of the bars for 3 cans of coke and told him that I realized that I would be charged, I had the Plus Pkg.  Never charged.  I thought it was a mistake when I got my bill online.  Then on the Caribbean Princess 4-1 through 4-8, I called room service and asked for the can coke pkg that has always been 6 cans for the price of 5.  The guy kept asking me if I had the drink package I kept telling him yes.  He left and came back and said OK.  When I got my bill for the end of the cruise, I was again not charged.  Wonder why some are being charged and some not.  Are the canned sodas indeed included in the drink packages now.

• 5 months later...

I am not sure if this has been mentioned as I just saw this thread and  skimmed through it because I prefer cans instead of fountain soda and have the Plus package: there is a difference between the fine print in the terms of the pre-December 2022 Plus package

with its terms clearly stating there is a 25% discount for cans of pop. See bullet 3 of What's included. 

However, the revised Plus Beverage package (for departure after February 20, 2023):

does not mention a 25% discount for cans of pop. But it does continue to say there is a 25% discount for all bottles of wine and one litre bottles of water. But to confuse the matter, it does not expressly say that cans of pop are free despite saying fountain soda is free. 

I would have thought that if there still is a charge for a can of pop it would be stated given the terms of the older Plus package.

Obviously, one way to interpret the changes is cans of pop are now subject to a 100% charge but I would think it is meant to read the other way, which is there is no charge for a can of pop of a person who has the most recent Plus Beverage Package. 

My solution, I plan to print both versions out for reference in case it is needed.  The website states:

A value of $64.99 USD* per day

View Plus Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

If you purchased before December 2022 and haven't upgraded:
View Plus Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

One can only imagine how hard it would be for servers to determine if one Plus package is subject to a charge of 75% for a can of pop (after a 25% discount) while another Plus Beverage package appears to extend free cans of pop.  In such cases, I would hope the policy would be not to charge anyone for a can of pop who has the package. But of course, hope is not an answer, only a possibility.