Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

FLL is crazy for pricing this year , everything appears to double in price from last year 

I just noticed after I cancelled (within cancellation window) the prices for Embassy Suites dropped about $100 a night.    We decided to give they new Hotel a try.    Embassy Suites has been a little rough around the corners as of late.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

funny description!  A small town with a population of 155,000.  Enjoy your cruise.  I will be following along too.

In Silicon Valley 155k is a small town.   LOL -  

Actually you can no longer tell where one town ends and one begins and just blends into the Greater Bay Area that has a population of 7.8 Million. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I was just talking with a friend of ours last night.  They live in Hawaii and their youngest daughter lives in Los Angeles.  He was saying he got round trip tickets this year for 1/3 of what he paid for tickets last year.  The only change he said was they took a red eye flight from Hawaii to LAX. 

With one exception, when we stayed at the Westin, we have always stayed at the Renaissance on 17th street.  We have been discussing trying some of the other hotels but we've always seemed to get the best deal at that Renaissance.  The only complaint I've ever had with it has been the inability to get into a room before 3:00 pm.  We have learned to work around that by dropping our bags off with the bell desk and then taking a long leisurely lunch at a restaurant nearby. 

Do you have any restaurant recommendations for Fort Lauderdale? 

We never have to worry about early checkin.    Usually the earliest we arrive is 9:00 PM.

Close by in the same area as Publix Market we enjoy Carrabba's Italian Grill and  Carlos and Pepe's.  If in the mood for Seafood Kelly's Landing New England Seafood is pretty good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swigso said:

The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas is a really nice hotel their tower corner suite is amazing. Just love your reviews they are so informative but also very very interesting. Safe travels and I am looking forward to when we too have retired and can travel so much. The good news is though, that it will not be too long for that to happen but we are lucky that even now we can take a month off to travel.

Heard good things about Riverside -  when I checked earlier they were also above $400 a night but I think they also dropped prices yesterday.

2 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

We stayed here last October and it was fine.  Close by a CVS and Publix.  

Good to hear -   We have always liked the area.    We usually walk down to Los Olas  on our free day and grab a cup of coffee.   Hopefully the weather will cooperate.     We often stop by Whole Foods for snacks etc. which is close by.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've become friends with both fellow solo travelers and couples while traveling as a solo.

That's always fun.   We often invite a Solo to join us for dinner if we see them sitting alone.  

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm looking forward to following along! And I hope to cross paths on the TA. This will be my first cruise on Celebrity and first TA. After disembarkation, we'll fly to Germany to spend 3 weeks with family.

I'm sure we will meet -  especially if you spot me out doing my laps.  

1 hour ago, Bejay219 said:

Hi Jim!  We will be on for the Transatlantic, Norway and the British Isles.  We will catch up with you in the Retreat... Have a great cruise this next week, please let us know if there is anything we should know about. See you soon! 

Looking forward to it.   I always tell our Room Attendant and Butler that we are creatures of habit and will usually be out of our room at 9:15 in the morning and down to Retreat at 7:15-7:30 each evening.   We are late diners and usually don't go to dinner until 8:45 PM

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

I like arriving rested and ready to explore rather than needing to adjust to lack of sleep.  

Me too... We have given up on Red Eyes.    Found we would loose a whole day just worn out.  

46 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Hi gents, a pleasure to follow yet another Live thread having lurked in the background of many others.I have never sailed Celebrity before (hence my lack of presence on these boards) but have booked Millenium out of Tokyo in 2024. I have followed your threads prior to this booking but thought the time was right to say 'hi.'

Absolutely none of my business and feel free not to answer - I'm not a stalker, just interested! I think you made a comment on another thread about being a pilot - I have a PPL(A) myself and I cemented that fact of yours to memory. I assumed you meant flying commercially, but comments like the above now make me think you didn't do this for a career but perhaps as a hobby and had another career. Then I saw this post:

So I wasn't quick enough to get my question in and you have already answered ! 🙂

I must say to my shame I have not explored Scotland as well as I could have, having it on my doorstep. It's a cliche but I'd rather spend the same money (or less) on better weather than what we have to live with - so I'll also be interested in your thoughts on the ports you attend that even Iain isn't familiar with when you get to that leg.

We are heading to Miami for an NCL cruise in a few weeks and I could not believe the price of the hotels, even fairly average ones. I think we snagged a good deal at the Kimpton Epic for c. $360 a night all in (taxes, resort fee etc.). I know you are heading to FLL not Miami but the whole area seems very pricey compared to times gone by.

Anyway enough of a ramble from me, I will be following closely and hope you both have a fantatsic time! 🙂

I was a Private Pilot but gave it up a number of years ago.   Just got to be too expensive. 

I mostly flew a Mooney but due to business often had to fly jump seat on freighters as an on-board courier, for delivery of Super Computers that were considered strategic arms.   Often the Pilot would let me take the control and log time out over the Atlantic.   The FAA examiner looked at my log book and of course questioned how I had 10 hour 727 and 12 hours Lear logged when I took my Private Pilot's License. 

All too often we never explore the treasures in our own backyard.    I've really looking forward to visiting the Shetland Islands.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hcat said:

looks like a good alternative..ES is very outdated.. dusty etc...It will be worked on soon but not worth the high charges!  Most other good choices were  booked  up unless u go with a third party service.

We found something in Dania for Jan 2014 for  around $ 300..brighter and lighter.   Wyndham Garden Inn.. close enough to Port Ev.. parking overmight..no free bkfst.   

only 1 night so we will manage.

I was surprised that last time we were at ES out TV didn't even have HDMI ports -   I usually fire up my Roku first thing so was disappointed. 

18 minutes ago, cw2go said:

So excited to follow your AMS travels! Going next Aug on Apex 

Patty 

Amsterdam is really going to be fun.    Iain's sister and BIL - Alex and Evelyn won't be arriving until Thursday so we will have most of the week on our own.      August is really a great month to visit Amsterdam.   Long days and the temperatures are perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Checkin Time -   

While I was at coffee I got an alert to log in for our flight.    Couple clicks later I had our boarding passes in my Apple Wallet.   Luckily all of our passes came through with PRE -  Even with Global Entry sometimes one of us get signaled out for regular clearance.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious-  Did you like River Cruising.     Iain's been wanting to do one but I'm a bit reluctant.   Maybe just the fear of the unknown.

Think I’d like to try a Nile River cruise. Not sure if I want a fancy river boat like Viking or something smaller and more basic. 🐪🌴

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others have probably observed prices of Airlines and Hotels have really increased since last year.   I guess it doesn't help that we are traveling right on the fringe of Spring break.

For the past 10+ years we have always stayed at Embassy Suites.    The costs for 2 nights had spiraled up to $940 so decided to try out Hyatt on 18th.    I was able to book for $600 which is a little better.     Since it is so close to Embassy we are comfortable with the area and the close by shops.    I'll be sure to compare the two.

ca73378c_y.jpg

I'm amazed by the price of the ES. I hear it's in desperate need of an update. I look forward to hearing what you think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We never have to worry about early checkin.    Usually the earliest we arrive is 9:00 PM.

Close by in the same area as Publix Market we enjoy Carrabba's Italian Grill and  Carlos and Pepe's.  If in the mood for Seafood Kelly's Landing New England Seafood is pretty good.

Thank you.  I am not a fan of arriving that late at night so we usually take a morning flight that arrives in FLL around 1115. 

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation.  Our favorite watering hole is the Boatyard.  Love the seafood and atmosphere.  

1 hour ago, raudacruise said:

Think I’d like to try a Nile River cruise. Not sure if I want a fancy river boat like Viking or something smaller and more basic. 🐪🌴

One cruise I want to do is a Africa Cruise maybe Silverseas with a combined Safari.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

I like Southport Raw Bar. Kelly’s Landing is very popular. Was DH’s favorite.

I did Kelly's once and enjoyed but as you said it is VERY Popular and I don't believe they accpet reservations.   What really surprised me were the number of people picking up orders to go.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I just noticed after I cancelled (within cancellation window) the prices for Embassy Suites dropped about $100 a night.    We decided to give they new Hotel a try.    Embassy Suites has been a little rough around the corners as of late.

do not regret cancellation.. we had broken furniture, dust all over and a very noisy AC.  the breakfast buffet was still good  and servuce was tip but still not worth the high price..

we are sticking with what we booked..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did Kelly's once and enjoyed but as you said it is VERY Popular and I don't believe they accpet reservations.   What really surprised me were the number of people picking up orders to go.

many choices..you won't go hungry!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation.  Our favorite watering hole is the Boatyard.  Love the seafood and atmosphere.  

We stay at the Renaissance (I get high floor and lounge access - all that business travel back in the day paid off) and will usually go to the Boatyard.  Although, in October of 21, there was an hour wait, so we walked to Outback near the Embassy.

• Like 1

Just now, abbydancer said:

We stay at the Renaissance (I get high floor and lounge access - all that business travel back in the day paid off) and will usually go to the Boatyard.  Although, in October of 21, there was an hour wait, so we walked to Outback near the Embassy.

I am also Lifetime Platinum Elite as a result of business travel back in the day as well.  I have never been there when the Lounge has been open.  We are normally flying in on a Friday or Saturday for a Saturday or Sunday departure.  We'll be there on a Thursday next week so anxious to see what difference, if any makes.