Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

As always, I am very much looking forward to your live report. I have experienced more than one cruise vicariously through you and expect this will be another.  I plan to follow your and Iian's escapades on a day by day basis.  

Bon Voyage

Thanks.... always enjoy your posts.   Seems like we have know each other for a long time.

2 hours ago, Cruisin4ABruisen said:

This will be a great ramp up for joining you on the transatlantic!

Feel free to pop in anytime and share your experiences.    I hope we get to meet on the TA.

• Like 1

Have a wonderful trip and I'm looking forward to your posts.  We'll be on Apex in July now departing and arriving back to Rotterdam.  I will be especially interested in your train adventures as we will be doing the same from Amsterdam to Rotterdam with luggage and kid in tow.  

2 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Can you tell how excited we all are to follow along on this amazing adventure. We love Amsterdam and look forward to hearing of all the things you will do. Safe travels.

Oh... you will for sure.   To me Amsterdam is the most magical and romantic city in Europe.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

Thanks Jim.  I have also sailed on Edge…twice in a SV.  I love, love, love Edge and expect the same with Apex.  It will also be my first solo cruise in a long time, but I expect the familiarity of the ship to be a comfort!  My roll call is very limited so I’ll need to make my own good time 😊.

Safe travels to you and Iain.

Susan 

I really have a great deal of respect for all of you who have the initiative to travel Solo.   After following @GenerationX - Charla really knows how to have a great Solo Experience.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I will probably have to catch up after the fact as we will also be on the Connie TA like @Gaynors.   Hopefully Starlink will be as great on the TA as it was on Infinity from Chile to BA 2 weeks ago.

Have a great trip and enjoy the portion with the family.

Thanks --  Looks like the Connie will be a popular cruise.  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Cant wait to follow along!  Looks like you might get a little rain on Thursday but nothing too dicey.  Good that you are giving yourself PLENTY of time to get to your ship!

I've been keeping an eye on the weather.    Last year we lucked out and had gone for a walk.   We just got back to the hotel when an absolute downpour hit.   We were glad we made it back in time.

We us to always fly in the night before the cruise but have shifted to flying in two days before cruises.   Coming in from the West Coast we usually don't arrive until Midnight  - but only 9 pm our time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarKay525 said:

Hi Jim - like others, really looking forward to following along.

We were in Key West in Feb. and while we didn't score any key lime pie, I found the frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in white chocolate to be one of the best sweets I've ever eater. Only the fear of a sugar coma kept me from getting a second one. We found them at a little shop along the line of stores just when you come off the ship.

Enjoy

I watched a Vlog last week on a couple that tried every Key Lime Pie place in Key West and rated them.    I have jotted down their top two picks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We will be about week behind heading to Barcelona 

Hopefully will give you a little idea how the Internet is at sea as well as the weather.    Hope you have a nice trip.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

My goal now is to post through Valparaiso before you leave.  I will finish in the next 10 days.

And thanks!

Enjoying it.    I may steal a couple of your food pictures if you don't mind.   I've been trying to create a data base of menu description to reality -  especially for deserts.

15 minutes ago, weacat said:

Have a wonderful trip and I'm looking forward to your posts.  We'll be on Apex in July now departing and arriving back to Rotterdam.  I will be especially interested in your train adventures as we will be doing the same from Amsterdam to Rotterdam with luggage and kid in tow.  

I will give you a blow by blow of the train trip.    We've done it before and it is really an easy trip.

When you mentioned "Kids in Tow" you brought back memories of taking our 3 kids with us to Barcelona about 30 years ago.   The girls were never good at packing lightly and had 3 suitcases each.   Ugh... 

We were grabbing a subway in Barcelona and Iain got on and a couple of the kids were lagging -   next thing I knew the doors closed and Iain was off and rolling with the rest of us still on the platform.   I had Iain's ticket and wallet -  luckily he had enough sense to get off at the next stop and come back.  

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Jim, Like your comments about Solo cruisers and Amsterdam! I am finally planning to go to Europe in 2024 solo and with Royal Caribbean! Yes, Charla is an Expert to say the least!

We have adopted more than one Solo traveler and have become lifelong friends.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Enjoying it.    I may steal a couple of your food pictures if you don't mind.   I've been trying to create a data base of menu description to reality -  especially for deserts.

I was thinking that since I order the same things so much of the time, that it might be a good idea to have stock pictures.

And of course, feel free to steal as many as you want.

By the way, when are you going to adopt me and take me with you?  😁

• Haha 3

Wow, can you tell how popular you are? I check the boards and you’ve got five pages of posts in just a few hours from your original post lol. You def do an amazing job when you post and the info is so helpful to so many. I’m looking forward to following along on your adventure too! Don’t forget your passports! 😉

• Like 2

Love your live blog (geez 5 pages already) and reading about you guys as you are trying to pack!  Obviously you have a large fan following!  So fun to follow you on your travels.   We cruise a lot but this will be our first Transatlantic. Followed your blogs last spring when you got booted!  Hopefully this year is a whole different ball game!!  We will be on the Beyond to Rome and then the following to Croatia and Montenegro which are new places for us which I believe is not long after you leave FL. We will do a two week land trip to Portugal in the mix after the B2B.  We thought we had plenty of time to pack but we too are getting down to the wire.  Trying not to pack too much and then have to schlep  it around on busses and trains!  
Have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your live posting!  Always look forward to following your and Iains' travels.  We were on the Apex to Key West in early March, and also in September 2021 out of Piraeus with only 387 pax.  Are currently looking at her for this June 25 in Scandinavia.  Can't keep DH off the sea after 30 years in the Navy.  Wishing you both healthy and happy travels!

Kristin

• Like 1