Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I understand that one well...

Where is your valet? Unless you are changing your mind on what to bring, your valises should be at the ready for the ship!!! LOL

bon voyage

I guess I'm my own Valet -   I told Iain to just lay his stuff out and I'll do the packing.   Hopefully I won't forget anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank you very much Jim for sharing with us your cruise experiences! I really look forward to reading your posts! Enjoy your cruises! 

Thanks -  Feel free to jump in with any questions or even answering questions. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

I am excited to read another live thread from you two. 

Thanks -  Love the picture of you with a Dolphin -   many years ago we did the swimming with the Dolphins in Nassau and loved being is such close contact with them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Have another great adventure!  I am especially looking forward to reading about the first week on Apex as I’ll be doing that itinerary in December 😎.

Bon Voyage.

Susan

Thanks Susan -   This will also be our first time on Apex.    We have have sailed Edge before but always fun to explore a new ship.     If you have any questions let me know and I will strive to find an answer.

4 hours ago, garyl62 said:

I've been waiting for you to start this, looking forward to following along and see your comments about the first leg compared to what we thought last month.  What type of cabin have you ended up with? 

Thanks Gary.    We booked a CS (the same cabin for all 3 cruises).    I doubt we will win any upgrades as the cruises are really going out full.   I took lots of notes on your cruise.

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Had to laugh as the APEX TA was moved to Rotterdam from Amsterdam.   We also have a BnB in Amsterdam for a week before taking a HAL to North Cape.  First time on HAL - the itinerary is wonderful.  The HAL cruise was scheduled to arrive and depart from Rotterdam,  then changed to Ijmuiden and finally to Amsterdam.   Go figure.

From what I've been reading is that due to global warming they are getting a higher salinity in the waters around Amsterdam so are limiting the number of cruise ships through the locks at high tides.   Oh well it will be an adventure. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sbt518 said:

Oh fantastic! Another Jim and Iian live review to keep me entertained instead of working.

I hope you do post pictures of the tulips, that is one of my bucket list trips, Holland in spring for the tulips.

Have a great trip and thanks for bringing us all along.

Definitely will post.     We have done the Tulip fields before and it is truly amazing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mduffy1834 said:

Looking forward to once again following your adventures.  We did the TA last year on the Reflection - it was a wonderful experience - nice weather, good ports.

Will really be interesting to see how the weather cooperates with our crossing.  

4 hours ago, Chrissi3010 said:

Hi Jim,

I am very much interested in your weather reports as we dare to go on a Transatlantic for the first time next year in April (22nd) from FLL to Amsterdam on Silhouette.

And of course love to read your posts anyway.... 😉

I will post a combination of what we experience weather wise as well as how well Starlink is on a TA.   There have been so many questions that it will be food to quantify.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Susan -   This will also be our first time on Apex.    We have have sailed Edge before but always fun to explore a new ship.     If you have any questions let me know and I will strive to find an answer.

Thanks Jim.  I have also sailed on Edge…twice in a SV.  I love, love, love Edge and expect the same with Apex.  It will also be my first solo cruise in a long time, but I expect the familiarity of the ship to be a comfort!  My roll call is very limited so I’ll need to make my own good time 😊.

Safe travels to you and Iain.

Susan 

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Keukenhof Gardens are absolutely beautiful this time of year.

Last time we went there were coaches from Central Station direct to the gardens,,otherwise it’s a convoluted journey with changes by train.

Or you can book tickets for gardens/coach included with maybe a 1.5 hr optional canal boat trip for €50.

BA9E599E-2893-4135-B52E-7692F89E6EA0.jpeg.f9ecaea90e7b13e5b60fb94a246d082f.jpeg

Thanks for the beautiful pictures.    I can't wait.    We booked the tickets with a bus departing out of Central Station so may be similar to yours.     We have so much planned for Amsterdam that we may not be able to do it all.    Iain's first job out of University was in Amsterdam so he is very knowledgeable of the city.  It will be his Sister's first visit so wanting to show them as much as possible without wear them out completely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

Looking forward to your reports! Thanks for doing this for those of us wishing we were cruising!

Feel free to jump in at anytime.   I try to fulfill all requests for information or pictures. 

3 hours ago, GREG781 said:

Ready to follow along as always. We are heading on the 9 night Solstice cruise to Alaska coming up for our 25th Anniversary! Can't wait to be back on board. You know it has been 2 months - haha! Have a great trip.

Well happy 25th -  That is so exciting and always a fun excuse for another cruise.     It's been 3 months since we were last at sea, so definitely in need of some pampering. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, venicecruiser said:

Goody, Goody, Goody!!!  I've been waiting for this!

PLEASE post lots of photos of the tulips!  My fave flower!

Have a wonderful time and safe travels!

Claudia

I was chuckling when I was thinking of Tulips -   20 years ago I went out early one morning to the Bloememarkt.   I bought two bouquets of 100 tulips each.    I didn't realize how many vases I would need for them.    The hotel concierge was really helpful but kidded me say I used all they had at the hotel. 

• Like 2

I will probably have to catch up after the fact as we will also be on the Connie TA like @Gaynors.   Hopefully Starlink will be as great on the TA as it was on Infinity from Chile to BA 2 weeks ago.

Have a great trip and enjoy the portion with the family.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norwaylady said:

Bon Voyage😎🤩🙌🏻

Thanks -   I've really been enjoying your live post.    I was chuckling an Mr's bowl of ice cream every  night.    He's a man of my own heart.    I love Ice Cream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clochette said:

What an amazing vacation, love the combination of cruises and stay in Amsterdam, really looking forward to following you.

All I can say is retirement is better than I had ever thought.    It is so nice to be away an not have to worry about only 2-3 weeks vacation a year.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Looking forward to your  wonderful report all through April ! Your two are such great travelers.

We definitely enjoy traveling.    Hard to believe that 23 years ago Iain dragged me screaming and whining about being locked up on  a ship for a full week.   I was addicted before the cruise was half way through.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, vickykay said:

Can’t wait to follow along.  Vern envious.  We were supposed to go on the British Isles cruise two years ago, with several days prior in Amsterdam (one of our favorite cities) but of course was cancelled due to Covid.  Have a wonderful time on all these cruises and thanks for bringing us all along.

It is incredible how Covid affected all of us.   At least the world is returning to the new normal.  

If you recall last year I came down with Covid on the turn around day of our 3rd cruise and they tossed us off the ship with the Ghost Buster Squad disinfecting behind us.

• Haha 1