Cove balcony on Carnival -Amazing

Baptpastor

I am worried that the smaller opening allows less sun and gives a smaller area to view.   You'd have to be standing right at the opening to see, right?

I haven't been in them, so my insight is purely speculative 🙂

Thanks for your thoughts

Hi 🙂

Cove balconies are certainly a personal preference. They are not for everyone. 

There is of course many various pros & cons.

I'll list just a few...

Pros:

-- Cove balconies are sometimes bigger than normal balconies. 

-- More private thanks to solid sides & sometimes lifeboats above. Less sound from neighbors.

-- They are more shaded.

-- Low deck position gives close-up views of the sea. 

-- Quick to get on & off ship.

-- Cove balconies can sometimes be cheaper.

Cons:

-- Some passengers might not like the enclosed nature of Cove balconies & the smaller opening.

-- Balcony can get wet & salty. 

-- Might be too shady for some people. 

-- Further walking to many areas of action on ship. 

-- Balcony may be off limits in bad weather, high winds & high waves. Storm door will be closed, covering your balcony door. 

Cove-balconies-jpg.webp

carnival-horizon-carnival-123128.jpg

bb6f247a7d6dd5f38f37a86a33da9ebc-1.jpg

🍹

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/12/2023 at 9:48 PM, Universe93B said:

Thanks for the quick review - I always wondered about the cove balconies.  Your description sounds cool! But what about the view when coming into port, or looking further out into the ocean?  I carry my binoculars, but was wondering about that since the balcony is so low.

its the same view if I was on deck 6         there is still a few decks under deck 2   

Thanks for posting the pros and cons.

These cons (all except the further walking- doesn't bother us) definitely made me decide never to book a cove balcony. 

Cons:

-- Some passengers might not like the enclosed nature of Cove balconies & the smaller opening.

-- Balcony can get wet & salty. 

-- Might be too shady for some people. 

-- Further walking to many areas of action on ship. 

-- Balcony may be off limits in bad weather, high winds & high waves. Storm door will be closed, covering your balcony door. 

21 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

Celebration for late 2024

The coves are higher up on the Celebration if I remember right, no? I remember watching a youtuber who was in a cove on Mardi Gras on deck 5 maybe?

28 minutes ago, notscb said:

The coves are higher up on the Celebration if I remember right, no? I remember watching a youtuber who was in a cove on Mardi Gras on deck 5 maybe?

So I looked into this.  Because of the bigger ship... the first deck on this class is actually deck four instead of one.  So Deck 5 sounds higher, but its actually the second deck.  Weird I know.

12 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I prefer a higher deck balcony for better views and less condensation.  I also can pick a deck which has cabins above and below mine, usually less extraneous noise.

The lower fare for a cove does not impress me.

Whereas in my case the closeness to the water and a much stronger shade is a big positive for me.  So Its really cool of carnival to have designed both options.

• Like 1

I just placed a Cove Balcony on hold for a February 2024 Panorama sailing.  Am I correct in thinking that this will help shield me from the wind that I hear is common on the way down/back from Mexican Riviera?  I'm really looking forward to seeing what these are all about.  I do get motion sickness so maybe being lower will help? I did manage to make sure it is not above the galley.  I think it's room 2294.  I'm hoping I too am one who loves them 😉

• Like 1

My son booked a cove balcony on Magic because of the bigger cabin and privacy for his wife when breast feeding their 7 month old. Now we are on Venezia and still on deck 2 for a cove balcony. I didn’t think Costa had cove balconies so are the cabins being reconfigured to Carnival standard?

4 hours ago, nanamobo said:

My son booked a cove balcony on Magic because of the bigger cabin and privacy for his wife when breast feeding their 7 month old. Now we are on Venezia and still on deck 2 for a cove balcony. I didn’t think Costa had cove balconies so are the cabins being reconfigured to Carnival standard?

We booked our first cove on the (new to Carnival) Firenze - super excited!  I'm guessing that Costa does have cove as we've been able to find old videos (very few but they do exist)

On 4/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, new_cruiser_75 said:

here is a link to the deck plans: carnival-panorama-deck-plans.png?x69715

Thank you.  I realize the typo in my original post read that I was not "above" the galley when obviously deck 2 is BELOW deck 3.  I was able to confirm that although we are "below" the dining areas, our room is situated more below the dining room and shore excursion desk.  We are very excited to have confirmed the room! I will make sure to take plenty of photos and report back once we return.  

• Like 1

I am hooked! In 25 cruises with carnival, we are currently in our first cove balcony (getting off Dream tomorrow) and I can't believe we have missed out on this treasure for so long! It has been awesome - we have seen dolphins multiple times. Love the sound of the waves.  We had a huge downpour in Freeport but stayed dry and out of the wind in the cove balcony.  Planning to book another cove balcony as soon as we get home.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

I am hooked! In 25 cruises with carnival, we are currently in our first cove balcony (getting off Dream tomorrow) and I can't believe we have missed out on this treasure for so long! It has been awesome - we have seen dolphins multiple times. Love the sound of the waves.  We had a huge downpour in Freeport but stayed dry and out of the wind in the cove balcony.  Planning to book another cove balcony as soon as we get home.

They really are amazing, aren't they? The waves crashing against the ships, the coziness of the cove, you feel like you're the only people onboard.❤️ Glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 4

We always sail in a balcony cabin and since we have discovered the cove cabin,  it's the only choice if available.  For me, experiencing a regular balcony disconnects me from the "cruising" experience.  The cove pulls me in to the tradition cruise experience of being at sea.  The shade from the lifeboats actually is a benefit as I live in extreme south Florida and a break from the sun is welcome.  The only drawback for a cove for some folks is the location on the ship in relation to activities. I don't mind the walk to the pool deck or dining, but some folks do.

The Dream class so far is my favorite.  Waiting to go on the Celebration.

• Like 4