Everything sold out!?

tap_out

Well not everything, but hopefully I got your attention. We cruise every year in August as my wife is a teacher and runs a summer program. Our window is the first 3 weeks of August. I would say for the most part we always book this time of year for our August cruise if not a little later. I'm floored by the limited amount of availability. We were looking to go on the madi gras or celebration and they are almost completely if not totally sold out. Something else that doesn't help us is the fact we need a room with occupancy for 3 because our 6 year old is coming.  Pricing has also went up since last year but I guess that's no surprise as everything is up.  So what gives. Is this a post Covid rush and people just wanting to vacation again? I guess my best bet is just to keep an eye out and hope some rooms open up.  

• Like 2

As a retired teacher I feel your pain over having to cruise during certain times of the year.  My dd is getting married mid-August, so we have been looking at booking something at the end of August.  We wanted to sail out of NY (did last summer and it was so nice - no flights or hotels needed) but between the Venezia being new, and needing a cabin for 3 we also can't find anything.  Keep looking - there are always cabins being cancelled, and travel agents release unsold cabins as it gets closer to August.

54 minutes ago, pe4all said:

As a retired teacher I feel your pain over having to cruise during certain times of the year.  My dd is getting married mid-August, so we have been looking at booking something at the end of August.  We wanted to sail out of NY (did last summer and it was so nice - no flights or hotels needed) but between the Venezia being new, and needing a cabin for 3 we also can't find anything.  Keep looking - there are always cabins being cancelled, and travel agents release unsold cabins as it gets closer to August.

I just extend are courtesy hold on our cabin for madi gras. We're from Maryland and love the convenience of going out of NY. But we won't do Vista class unless we can have the Havana so ny was out for us this year. 

Have you looked at other cruise lines besides Carnival? Traveling with children, I’ve found great deals on other cruise lines, most frequently on MSC. They usually have 3rd/4th guest either at greatly reduced or free rates which make the total cost of the cruise cheaper than Carnival.

Summer time, as well as traveling during holidays, almost always require planning in avance to get the best prices and cabin selections. While some people are looking at what’s left for the summer of 2023, I’m already looking at the summer of 2024. In fact I have deposits for our family cruises for 2024 and 2025. 😃

Edited by Tapi

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Have you looked at other cruise lines besides Carnival? Traveling with children, I’ve found great deals on other cruise lines, most frequently on MSC. They usually have 3rd/4th guest either at greatly reduced or free rates which make the total cost of the cruise cheaper than Carnival.

Summer time, as well as traveling during holidays, almost always require planning in avance to get the best prices and cabin selections. While some people are looking at what’s left for the summer of 2023, I’m already looking at the summer of 2024. In fact I have deposits for our family cruises for 2024 and 2025. 😃

Yeah it's just strange we always book this time if year without any problem.  I was shocked when I looked at the prices of RC double what we would pay with carnival. Ncl was a decent amount more as well. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tap_out said:

Yeah it's just strange we always book this time if year without any problem.  I was shocked when I looked at the prices of RC double what we would pay with carnival. Ncl was a decent amount more as well. 

There’s definitely pent up demand from all the people who haven’t cruised since COVID started and who are now out in droves looking at cruising again this summer, combined with a capacity reduction from all the ships that were scrapped. 

I agree about RC prices. They are insane. I started looking at prices for their new Icon of the Seas when the itineraries were first announced, and within a few weeks, they had almost doubled. They’re charging luxury line prices, even for the crappiest cabins and apparently people are buying. To get a decent price, I had to look into 2025 and they’re still higher than what I’ve seen before. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

MSC cruises is sailing out of NYC this summer

We are booked with our extended family on MSC for June but they only had a few cabins left about 6 weeks ago.

we booked a while ago but son and family just booked about a month ago. Paid considerably more than us. Had slim pickings.

with MSC you can book in advance and cancel and get your deposit back up until final payment is due unless you book the Yacht Club.

6 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

prices are getting out of my league. :classic_sad:

Me too - I know prices are going up on everything but I am only willing to pay so much...I'm happy to stand back and let the blue cards take my place for the time being...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If we decide to pull the trigger on this 6 day it will be $1k more then we have ever spent on a cruise. I just keep telling myself that even at that price point cruises are still our best bang for our buck. 

Unfortunately, you want to travel at one of the most popular times of the year on the most popular ships.  Limited availability and higher prices are going to happen.

We have had plenty of fun on the other ships.  Perhaps you should give one of them a try.

3 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Unfortunately, you want to travel at one of the most popular times of the year on the most popular ships.  Limited availability and higher prices are going to happen.

We have had plenty of fun on the other ships.  Perhaps you should give one of them a try.

I don't know about others but once I cruised on CCL's newest ships I can't go back to the other ships.

• Like 2

Yep, there's strong demand for popular (new) ships in the heart of summer vacation season. I just did some mock bookings and pickings are slim and expensive. Good for the cruise industry. Glad that we don't need to travel the Caribbean at that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

So have we, but we're ready to try one of the new ships. If our son wasn't with us we would be on horizon in a cabana.  

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don't know about others but once I cruised on CCL's newest ships I can't go back to the other ships.

We love Vista class because of the Havana.  Not sure we could cruise that class without that. We did magic last year and had a great cruise.  But after 8 cruises with carnival in excited to try a completely new ship in madi gras

2 minutes ago, tap_out said:

So have we, but we're ready to try one of the new ships. If our son wasn't with us we would be on horizon in a cabana.  

Yeah, but at 6 it's not like he's riding the roller coaster.  Horizon is a fine ship with tons to do for all ages.

33 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Yeah, but at 6 it's not like he's riding the roller coaster.  Horizon is a fine ship with tons to do for all ages.

I found the pool decks way to crowded. Lucky the Havana solves that issue but not with a kid. 

• Like 1