LIVE from Radiance Apr. 21, 2023 - The Panama Canal - Canal au Niveau de la Mer

Thoughts on my excursions.  

Overall I really liked it and appreciated getting to go over the Atlantic Bridge, visiting the new locks and visiting the old locks.  We also drove across Panama and that gave me an opportunity to see Panama and Colon in way you can't from the ship during a transit.  

I wish we had more time at each visitor center but I wouldn't want the bridge crossing dropped and the geography means a bit of a drive.  It would have been nice to see a ship in the Miraflores lock but timing is tough the way they send conveys of ships through, so it is what it is.

There is no question Panama is a poor country but there were signs of new construction in places so hopefully its experiencing an uptick in economic conditions.

The sandwich was... interesting, but not expecting one I won't complain about it.

Overall a great day and I'm glad I booked it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

According to our guide, the transit using the original locks takes 8 - 10 hours overall while a transit using the new locks takes 10 - 12 hours. 

The water saving basins of the new locks re-use 60% of the water used to fill a lock chamber.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, little britain said:

There is a Pinnacle breakfast up in Starquest between 7-8a tomorrow morning.

Will @little britain and @twangster ever meet… who knows?!

7am and much of the best railing real estate will have been claimed.  

I'll probably go to the breakfast as I don't plan to stake a claim on any particular spot.  I'll be moving around a lot tomorrow, I need a good breakfast to power me tomorrow.

• Like 1

Up to this point the majority of photos have come from my phone.  

Tomorrow I'll be using a camera but that means my best photos will need to transferred and my workflow applied to them so I may post some live stuff in the moment from my phone then post a follow up on a sea day if I get anything good with my actual camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I sat down at the Champagne Bar to post some of the previous posts and spotted a certain container ship in port out the window. 

The same ship that was going into the Agua Clara locks this morning.  

image.thumb.jpeg.05640a3361d44be539045443ee4fceb3.jpeg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

7am and much of the best railing real estate will have been claimed.  

I'll probably go to the breakfast as I don't plan to stake a claim on any particular spot.  I'll be moving around a lot tomorrow, I need a good breakfast to power me tomorrow.

Later in the afternoon on the later locks there will be plenty of rail space on the bow as many will get tired from long day and heat.

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Later in the afternoon on the later locks there will be plenty of rail space on the bow as many will get tired from long day and heat.

Exactly, possibly better lighting for pictures too.  

• Like 3

We've had a number of brief Starlink outages tonight that last a few seconds to a few minutes.  Some folks might never realize it if they aren't trying to use the internet during an event as brief as they are  

Screenshot_20230427_193124_Firefox.thumb.jpg.ba455fa7bdd78afec6c0bd0772bb222d.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, twangster! Your lovely photos helped me to piece together how the new locks were going to interface with the old locks. Last time we did a transit, the new locks were *almost* completed, but I couldn't figure out how it was going to work. 

037.JPG

• Like 1