WOW Bands

After several years of using my Apple Watch to pay for everything from gas to groceries, I almost never have to pull out a credit card from my wallet. I look forward to the day when cruise lines, like financial institutions, offer this card alternative. In the meantime, I'm not going to wear both a Wow band and my Watch, so no band for me.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I thought the new ones were slightly a different codec and the old ones wouldn't work on new readers/tap boxes.  @ThePNVT have you sailed since the restart on WOW bands?

I haven't used them since then, but it says in the app that old ones can be reused/reprogrammed as long as they don't have the muster station printed on them.  

• Like 1

We had the WOW bands and loved them.  You can use them on multiple ships if they use them and so convenient.  You don't have to worry about carrying your card around to the pool, or wherever you might be.  You do still have to have the card to get on and off the ship but that's ok.  They used to be only $5.  Not sure how much they are now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kitkat9438 said:

We had the WOW bands and loved them.  You can use them on multiple ships if they use them and so convenient.  You don't have to worry about carrying your card around to the pool, or wherever you might be.  You do still have to have the card to get on and off the ship but that's ok.  They used to be only $5.  Not sure how much they are now.

You still have to take them off for every drink. So basically it’s useless except your door. Nothing like a great watch tan too. Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

How would you manage that?

A few of the newest ships (since Spectrum) were advertised being able to use your phone to open the cabin door (Digital Key) but not sure that feature is in use now.

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A few of the newest ships (since Spectrum) were advertised being able to use your phone to open the cabin door (Digital Key) but not sure that feature is in use now.

Thank you. With "Digital Key", I was able to do a search and find past posts/threads. Sounds like a work in progress.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, kitkat9438 said:

We use ours when we can ,  ours were free , I don't know if you can get them anymore.

14 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The Daily Planner in the app for Anthem lists "WOW Wrist Bands for Sale" @ 10:15 am (4hrs 15 min) Guest Services Desk, Deck 4.

must be catching on ,  we did a B2B on the Anthem Jan 2022 

Most worker etc never seen one. Guest Services didn't know how to program them, but we got them done at the Diamond Lounge 

Just now, TheMiz said:

Most worker etc never seen one. Guest Services didn't know how to program them, but we got them done at the Diamond Lounge 

I still have mine from the Quantum (fall 2014) and Anthem (fall 2015) transatlantics.  I haven't tried to use them since.

18 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I still have mine from the Quantum (fall 2014) and Anthem (fall 2015) transatlantics.  I haven't tried to use them since.

Wonder if they still look the same?  They could use a make over.   I will but using ours on the Anthem TA May 1st.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:14 AM, Another_Critic said:

The Daily Planner in the app for Anthem lists "WOW Wrist Bands for Sale" @ 10:15 am (4hrs 15 min) Guest Services Desk, Deck 4.

Yes we got them a couple of weeks ago on Anthem.

Very useful for our son as he was always losing his card and for when I was going to the pool so I could buy a drink without needing to take the card.

16 hours ago, TheMiz said:

There were lots of people wearing them on Anthem at the beginning of the month and I noticed the bar staff had handheld readers so you could keep them on your wrist to pay for things. 

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Yes we got them a couple of weeks ago on Anthem.

Very useful for our son as he was always losing his card and for when I was going to the pool so I could buy a drink without needing to take the card.

There were lots of people wearing them on Anthem at the beginning of the month and I noticed the bar staff had handheld readers so you could keep them on your wrist to pay for things. 

Thank you for posting about recent experiences. It seems like in this thread some people are sharing opinions based on past/old experiences. For people that want to know what the experience is like now using WOW bands, it's great to hear from people with more recent, in 2023, experiences versus what their functioning was like in prior years. Thank you! Thanks to other people that posted about recent experiences as well. Very helpful.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

We always had our card with us too.

Last year on the Anthem it was handy for the shows as you needed reservations then.

We just held out our wrist and they scanned.  

I loved the band mainly for getting in and out of the room.  It seems my hands were full.  Bringing back food, bringing back coffee for my wife and I.  I don't think it's worth $10 though.  Most cruises, I lay the cup on the rail to open the cabin door or on the floor while I quickly use my card to get in.