Panorama Aft Havana Balcony - I Would Not Book Again

pppiglet

We were in 7461 and my sister was in 7465 and the soot falling on the aft balconies was so bad we hardly used it.  They cleaned it the day before we had to get off the ship and by that night it was dirty again.  The room steward would clean the table only daily.  

I went out barefoot and had to get in the shower to scrub my feet and we could never go out without putting shoes on first. The balcony was moist most of the time and even if you wore shoes, you would track the dirt back into the room.

The chairs and railing were never wiped down, so if you book one of these rooms, do not lean on the railing or sit on the chairs without wiping them off first. 

• Like 5

We had dreamed of having an aft balcony for years so it was really a let down.  We didn't have any vibrations so that wasn't a problem.  We'll book a port or starboard balcony going forward.  

The day they actually hosed down the deck, they took the hose and bucket through my sister's room.  She wasn't very happy about that. 

• Like 2

I can completely agree with that. We’ve had an aft balcony on Princess and on the Breeze. I loved the view, but the soot was already terrible. I feel like it just comes with the territory and I don’t know if there’s much that can be done about it other than them clean the balcony daily. 

• Like 1

Soot from the ship's funnel can occur on any outside exposed surface; it all depends on which direction the apparent wind across the deck is blowing for the duration of your cruise.  

We've had several aft balconies on cruises and had no problem with soot at all...whereas on our Horizon cruise last year, we had some soot on our Havana "cabana" patio which was not directly aft at all.  

• Like 1

I think it’s just a matter of preference. We cruised in an aft cabin once on RCI, probably *winces* in September of 2004 (time flies I guess) and yes - we found it to be a little dirty with soot. Honestly - we didn’t use the space, so we haven’t booked it again. That said, I know MANY cruisers who love them and don’t mind paying the extra for them.  (back when we cruised in one, they weren’t really much extra. I want to say ours was a mini-suite, but it was so long ago now, I can’t swear to it) The soot probably depends on where you’re cruising, the wind and weather, and that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We didn't have any soot on our Mardi Gras aft balcony, but the heat and lack of breeze was so unbearable we said we'd never book another one.

That's an excel ship, it's LNG so soot shouldn't be produced by its engines. 

• Like 4

I had read just after I booked that it was a problem on the Panorama and I just crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't be an issue on ours, but it was unfortunately.  We did have a great cruise still. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teaach02 said:

We have had 6 aft balconies over the years and no soot ever. 

But were they on the Panorama?  This ship is the one that seems to have to worst problem with it.  

At least in the Havana area they cleaned it up all day long. 

• Like 1

On our cruise last May on the Panorama one of the days leaving either Cabo or Puerto Vallarta when the sail away started there was soot in the Havana area.  They spent the next several hours cleaning it up.  Only happened one day. 

• Like 1

I have had many afts and aft wrap balconies over the years - (at least 5) - and never even seen any soot.  The lack of air flow, and in the direct sun - yes.  But no soot.  Dream, Legend, Vista, Liberty, Splendor.  There must be other factors than just being an Aft Cabin.

• Like 2

We are on the Panorama right now.

We have an extended aft Havana balcony(7459). There is soot on the furniture each day, that is true.

Out room steward provided an extra towel and it takes about a minute and a half to wipe down the chairs, table and railing.

It is a great location. If you don't mind a minute or two of extra effort, it is well worth it!

• Like 1