Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

44 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Friday, I think

FYI, we’ve been sweating it out with the rest of you, afraid to open email.  I was especially worried because of our bargain Balcony Guarantee booking.    It’s for the Trans Pacific crossing, leaving for Japan on September 15.    I asked our agent to check today, and he ascertained that it’s secure!    Whew, what a huge relief!🥳

19 hours ago, southwestie said:

But your not saying the cabin grade.  Inside,  verander and retreat are sold out. Concierge  and others have lots of cabins. They seem be bumping off the guarantee first.  Some cabins  seem to double or triple booked.

It certainly is odd what ever there doing

We booked a guarantee veranda and have not yet had our booking cancelled.  It makes no sense.

5 hours ago, southwestie said:

Enjoy rome. There is a fantastic hotel 20 mins bus ride from the center

A roma.  

Already grabbed 5 nights at the Hotel Lancelot. Walkable to most places east of the Tiber, as well as Termini for train trip to Naples/Pompeii.

Because of some computer glitches (they claimed), the Celebrity Millennium are oversold substantially for most Japanese sails between Sept 2023 to April 2024. For those who are 'selected' to be cancelled, they got 2 options:
1. geta a full refund + $500 FCC (expired in a year),

2. move to a future similar sail in 2024 or 2025 with the same price tag

For those who have been cancelled, they should have been notified by now.

That what I heard from someone working in a cruise agency.

Edited by quickpick

5 minutes ago, quickpick said:

Because of some computer glitches (they claimed), the Celebrity Millennium are oversold substantially for most Japanese sails between Sept 2023 to April 2024. For those who are 'selected' to be cancelled, they got 2 options:
1. geta a full refund + $500 FCC (expired in a year),

2. move to a future similar sail in 2024 or 2025 with the same price tag

For those who have been cancelled, they should have been notified by now.

That what I heard from someone working in an cruice agency.

Very interesting.  Hopefully we're all OK now. Hope so

26 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

Tip of the day: consider booking via large agency than directly with the cruiseline!  

Nice thought if it works.  Mine is a complete package at a good price. Flights. Hotels etc. . Since covid we have been booking a package. Before covid I was happy to book everything separately.  Still we are back in normality  at last

18 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

This is an unforgivable blunder, there are already several errors from the IT department, Celebrity should have fired everyone by now!!!!

Maybe Celebrity did fire them all, which is why this happened... no one manning the fort! Goodness knows, I've been waiting years for the website and app to work properly.

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It appears we've gone through a full business day with no new reports of someone having just received a cancellation. Perhaps the storm is over. 

I've been holding off calling to check that we aren't affected but not doing it in case I hear the wrong answer/ jinx myself lol!

• Like 2

Just now, pukekolive said:

I've been holding off calling to check that we aren't affected but not doing it in case I hear the wrong answer/ jinx myself lol!

I don't blame you. Of course it's not rational, but this whole situation defies ration. 

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity would just send the rest of us emails stating "Congratulations.  You have survived the purge.  Your booking is safe and confirmed.  You WILL be traveling with us to Asia in the cabin and on the dates you originally booked."???

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity would just send the rest of us emails stating "Congratulations.  You have survived the purge.  Your booking is safe and confirmed.  You WILL be traveling with us to Asia in the cbin and on the dates you originally booked."???

Agreed. 

Made a similar statement on my roll call a few days ago.

If I followed my roll call correctly, one cruiser was moved from waiting list to confirmed booking 5th April 2003. 19th April  the TA had 200 cabins purged - same agency.

I hope the purging was done in order of sailing date.

5 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Agreed. 

Made a similar statement on my roll call a few days ago.

If I followed my roll call correctly, one cruiser was moved from waiting list to confirmed booking 5th April 2003. 19th April  the TA had 200 cabins purged - same agency.

I hope the purging was done in order of sailing date.

Uh oh someone has just posted on a FB group that they have JUST received their cancellation .....

25 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

Uh oh someone has just posted on a FB group that they have JUST received their cancellation .....

Is the deadline still 1 May, I wonder? If so, it doesn't give the victims much chance to get organised. I'm not sure I could get leave approved that quickly

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Is the deadline still 1 May, I wonder? If so, it doesn't give the victims much chance to get organised. I'm not sure I could get leave approved that quickly

You beat me to it! I was thinking the same.

The initial cancellations were sent circa 17th April therefore 2 weeks until 1st May.  Therefore 2 weeks is not an reasonable period and a case could be made.

Further we know of at least 1 cruiser who was not given a deadline date for responses.

Edited by anniegb
  • Like 1

It could be worse. When Celebrity Covid cancelled the 2021 Australia/New Zealand season (Eclipse) passengers were given only one week to make their Lift & Shift decisions. Depending on the sailing, it was only 3-5 months notice before the date of the cruise. 

Here is a link to the cancellation notification which also details the compensation. 

Edited by mahdnc