Upgrading Cabin Cost Question and Need Advice.

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so sorry for any formatting errors. Sorry if it's a long post too and delete if not allowed/wrong area.

This is my first time doing an Alaskan cruise as well as a Princess cruise and I booked a obstructed view cabin. Now I'm thinking that I would rather like a mini suite (Mainly due to all the balconies being sold out  as well as getting a tub). As I'm writing this, I have about 130ish days til the cruise.

On Sunday I paid off the last $300 for my cabin and called up customer service a few hours later to see how much the difference would be. It was more than I did the math by a couple hundred dollars. For reference I paid $991 (including $250 for port fees and the room I was looking at was $3,885 ($250 port fees included) I was told that I was pay the difference (which should be $2,894) but was told it would be (can't remember exact number) about $3,100. 

Does that mean I would have to pay for port fees and taxes again if I were to upgrade? Or if is just because my my payment has not gone through yet?

Also I know that Princess does the upgrade bidding after final payment. But since all the balconies are sold out and mini suites are running out as well, would it be a good idea to take a chance and just wait for the bidding or just book the guaranteed mini suite now? Do a lot of people miss their final payments and thus rooms open up?

Thank you much for your answers.

Sorry, no good advice from me regarding the cost but I do have a comment on the tub. I don't like it. The tub is a far "step up" to get into it but the real issue is that "step down" getting out of it. It's more than a normal step out of a normal tub. If you are older or have balance issues you might not like the tub. (Of course I only used it for the shower as tubs, in my opinion, are designed for people who are shorter than I am but that has nothing to do with my dislike of the step down getting out of the thing.)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sorry, no good advice from me regarding the cost but I do have a comment on the tub. I don't like it. The tub is a far "step up" to get into it but the real issue is that "step down" getting out of it. It's more than a normal step out of a normal tub. If you are older or have balance issues you might not like the tub. (Of course I only used it for the shower as tubs, in my opinion, are designed for people who are shorter than I am but that has nothing to do with my dislike of the step down getting out of the thing.)

that's why we don't do mini's - the tub - so 'club class' is out for us.  Suites are not in our current budget.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Well I'm not in it just for the tub, but also for the balcony and the space (I probably should have put that in my original post.(my mind was on using my bath bombs on the cruise lol)). But thank you anyway.

• Like 1

We have sailed in the mini suite as well as standard suites on Princess.  I think the mini is a wonderful room.  It is spacious (as far as cruise cabins go) and we were very happy.  For me (I am large) the bathtub shower was nice (liked the space). Remember, there are no special "perks" for a standard mini (you have to pay significantly more a "club class mini")

As for bidding as opposed to the "sure thing"; that really depends on your tolerance for risk.  If the math and finances work for you. I would suggest taking the "sure thing". Balcony for Alaska is awesome.

Whatever you decide, we hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 4

If the difference is a couple of hundred dollars, it could be that the customer service rep. quoted you a price where you pick the cabin and the price you saw online is the price if you let Princess pick the cabin.  It is cheaper if you let them pick, but the deposit is non-refundable.   

Sal, You might also look for photos of your ship online and see if you can figure out just how obstructed the view is from your cabin.

Also, I did an Alaska cruise with an inside cabin and never missed view or the balcony since about all I use the cabin for is a sleeping/changing room.

With an Alaska cruise, the inside passage and the arriving/departing port views are too spectacular to watch and the best views are from open decks.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TonightsbiggestloserSal said:

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so sorry for any formatting errors. Sorry if it's a long post too and delete if not allowed/wrong area.

This is my first time doing an Alaskan cruise as well as a Princess cruise and I booked a obstructed view cabin. Now I'm thinking that I would rather like a mini suite (Mainly due to all the balconies being sold out  as well as getting a tub). As I'm writing this, I have about 130ish days til the cruise.

On Sunday I paid off the last $300 for my cabin and called up customer service a few hours later to see how much the difference would be. It was more than I did the math by a couple hundred dollars. For reference I paid $991 (including $250 for port fees and the room I was looking at was $3,885 ($250 port fees included) I was told that I was pay the difference (which should be $2,894) but was told it would be (can't remember exact number) about $3,100. 

Does that mean I would have to pay for port fees and taxes again if I were to upgrade? Or if is just because my my payment has not gone through yet?

Also I know that Princess does the upgrade bidding after final payment. But since all the balconies are sold out and mini suites are running out as well, would it be a good idea to take a chance and just wait for the bidding or just book the guaranteed mini suite now? Do a lot of people miss their final payments and thus rooms open up?

Welcome to Princess and Cruise Critic.

It would be helpful if you and anyone else posting about a cruise fare question to give us the ship, the sail date and length of voyage, along with your cabin categories. 

That said, a little deduction leads me to believe you likely booked the Grand on Aug 26 for 7 nights.  Could be something similar, but the principle I lay out follows.

When you originally booked your Obstructed Oceanview, things were likely different in the booking options.  Now, Princess has Non-Refundable deposits only for the cabin "lead-in" categories,  This is the lowest level sold for each major cabin type (Suites excepted I believe). 

So, I am thinking when you looked at Mini-Suites, you saw the lead-in pricing of about $1,948 (or $3885 as you said for two when you looked).  If so, this would mean you switch to a Non-Ref Deposit which you don't have now.  I am quite sure you would have booked with the typical Refundable Deposit.  Also, when you book the new way, you don't get to select a cabin at the low pricing. 

If I go up a level and check that pricing today, the total cost with port taxes is about $4,134, less your $991 already paid, leaves an upcharge net of about $3,143.  This seems in line with what the agent told you and fits the parameters and numbers you quoted in your post. 

So, there is an additional upcharge to move at least to a MD cabin category in order to keep your Refundable status and to select a cabin (of course if MD's are GTY only, then you need to look at MC's or higher if you want to select "your" cabin),  I do see you are closer to Final Payment Date now when your deposit would be committed in any case.  I don't see why you couldn't go this route if you choose.  You should discuss further with a Princess rep.  I would think hard to go wrong with any Mini-Suite location, but folks do have preferences for that. 

I would suggest asking for a CVP since they should be more expert at selling and booking aspects of cruising if you are going to deal directly with Princess.  Going forward, you might be better served by using an outside TA.  But one of the better CVP's should be helpful in making this change that you desire.

• Thanks 1

Sorry about not posting the details of the trip in terms of the boat's name and etc., I'll keep it in mind for future posts (Also you were right on the money with the boat name and dates).

But anyways, thank you so much for explaining the costs and everything to me. I'll be contacting Princess tomorrow through live chat (since I tried calling earlier today with no avail) and see if the mini suites are still available.

Once again, thank you.

• Like 3

looks like you have this sorted as to what you want to do & I don't really have anything helpful for that, but wanted to say welcome to CC & encourage you to check out the roll call for your cruise...you will get to meet other people on your same cruise & perhaps there will be activities planned & people who have suggestions/help for your specific cruise...have a great trip

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 11:08 AM, TonightsbiggestloserSal said:

Never assume what is sold out.

I currently have a Vista Suite. I bid on a Penthouse Suite.

If I get it, my Vista Suite goes to someone who had a mini suite.

Their mini suite probably goes to someone balcony….

For everyone that wins a bid, there cabin goes to someone else who bid.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:08 PM, TonightsbiggestloserSal said:

But since all the balconies are sold out and mini suites are running out as well, would it be a good idea to take a chance and just wait for the bidding or just book the guaranteed mini suite now?

I have no doubt that some balcony cabins will open up between now and when you cruise starts.

a) If Princess will allow it, ask to be put on a waitlist for a balcony cabin.

b) Check balcony availability online at least daily. If you see one becomes available (even as a Guaranty), reserve it with a hold (which means no deposit) and contact Princess to switch to that balcony cabin.

• Like 1

If you want a mini for sure, you will have to see if you can switch your booking and pay the difference. If you dont have your heart set on it,  you can try the bidding. I bid to go from balcony to mini on an Alaskan cruise and my bid was recently accepted, 30 days prior to sailing.   Total incremental cost in the low $300s. I am happy with the assigned mini but there is of course no guarantee. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

11 hours ago, Shippy said:

Never assume what is sold out.

I currently have a Vista Suite. I bid on a Penthouse Suite.

If I get it, my Vista Suite goes to someone who had a mini suite.

Their mini suite probably goes to someone balcony….

For everyone that wins a bid, there cabin goes to someone else who bid.

4 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

If you want a mini for sure, you will have to see if you can switch your booking and pay the difference. If you dont have your heart set on it,  you can try the bidding. I bid to go from balcony to mini on an Alaskan cruise and my bid was recently accepted, 30 days prior to sailing.   Total incremental cost in the low $300s. I am happy with the assigned mini but there is of course no guarantee. 

So I chatted with Princess today and unfortunately only the ADA rooms are still available. So I'll try my hand at bidding and hope that at least some balconies or minis will open up. It will definitely be cheaper if I go that route. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TonightsbiggestloserSal said:

So I chatted with Princess today and unfortunately only the ADA rooms are still available. So I'll try my hand at bidding and hope that at least some balconies or minis will open up. It will definitely be cheaper if I go that route. Fingers crossed.

In case you don't know, you could be assigned an ADA cabin when you bid.  If you win your bid & it is ADA you can call to see if you can change if there any others available, but if you really don't want an ADA just be aware it could be what you get.

1 hour ago, happy42cruise said:

In case you don't know, you could be assigned an ADA cabin when you bid.  If you win your bid & it is ADA you can call to see if you can change if there any others available, but if you really don't want an ADA just be aware it could be what you get.

Having never been in an ADA cabin, and not needing one, I am curious why one wouldnt want it if its assigned?  What are the noticible differences? I would feel bad perhaps having one and wondering is there was someone  else who really  needed it.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 2:08 PM, TonightsbiggestloserSal said:

Any chance you purchased Princess's trip insurance? It usually runs about 8% of cruise fare I believe, so with the fare difference being $2894 the added insurance premium would be about $232.

22 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Having never been in an ADA cabin, and not needing one, I am curious why one wouldnt want it if its assigned?  What are the noticible differences? I would feel bad perhaps having one and wondering is there was someone  else who really  needed it.

The ADA bathroom has no bathtub & some have said they don't like the open shower & wanted the tub. Usually they are booked well in advance as there aren't many of them. If you did get assigned to one then probably either they moved to another cabin or cancelled last minute.  They have a wider doorway & more space to allow for wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  You could always tell guest services if they need an ADA room you would possibly move but the odds are no one needed it.