Back to Back question

We will be on our first B2B ever on the Jewel out of San Juan next February.  The ship arrives in San Juan at 7:00 am and departs again at 8:00 pm.  I would like to book an independent excursion to El Yunque between cruises.  Anyone have experience with doing anything like this?  Could I get off with the departing passengers or would I need to wait until all were off and the ship's personal cleared us?

1 hour ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

We will be on our first B2B ever on the Jewel out of San Juan next February.  The ship arrives in San Juan at 7:00 am and departs again at 8:00 pm.  I would like to book an independent excursion to El Yunque between cruises.  Anyone have experience with doing anything like this?  Could I get off with the departing passengers or would I need to wait until all were off and the ship's personal cleared us?

Make sure to go to the pre TAD briefing. You will receive a notice in your cabin a day or two prior to your TAD.  Everything you will need to know for your specific cruise for the TAD process will be told to you at that time and a great time for Q&A. You will receive an in transit pass if you want to leave the ship on TAD and instructions on how the in transit pass works. 

• Like 2

Basically the in transit pass will allow you to leave the ship, go on your tour, then get back on the ship without having to check in like the new passengers. You will only have to go through security when you get back to the ship. When you have your back-to-back cruiser meeting ask them how to get off the ship and go on your tour without going through customs or waiting in customs line - usually they bring a customs officer on board to process the back-to-back cruisers so you won't ened to go through customs again.

• Like 2

We did that tour - but not between a B2B.  I remember a ~6 hr event.  I don't see how you'll fit this in!

It was a 1.5-2 hour bus ride and then 3 stops - riverside; castle (visitor's center); and waterfall.  I was mildly disappointed that it was so pedestrian.  You spend much more time on a bus than you do "hiking" (ie. walking a .25 mile well-traveled path to riverside).  The guide was great.  I think his name was Angel.

• Like 1

I have not had a "meeting" for consecutive cruisers in a long time, certainly not since the re-start - just a letter left in the cabin, with contact information if you have any questions that are not answered by the letter.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Basically the in transit pass will allow you to leave the ship, go on your tour, then get back on the ship without having to check in like the new passengers. You will only have to go through security when you get back to the ship. When you have your back-to-back cruiser meeting ask them how to get off the ship and go on your tour without going through customs or waiting in customs line - usually they bring a customs officer on board to process the back-to-back cruisers so you won't ened to go through customs again.

Keep in mind that Royal is frequently inconsistent on how they do things.

For example, we've never had a B2B cruiser meeting and we've always had to get off the ship and go through customs with the other B2B people and then get right back on the ship.  It would be very convenient to have a customs officer come on board because DH is a very slow walker and it's hard for us to keep up with the group.

10 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

I remember a ~6 hr event.  I don't see how you'll fit this in!

After researching this, I agree that EL Yunque would be difficult to get in between a B2B stopover, especially since most taxis do not have permissions to go to the national park.  Now thinking about a taxi to the Bacardi distillery.  Seems to be much easier to fit in. 

11 hours ago, D4 said:

For example, we've never had a B2B cruiser meeting and we've always had to get off the ship and go through customs with the other B2B people and then get right back on the ship.  It would be very convenient to have a customs officer come on board because DH is a very slow walker and it's hard for us to keep up with the group.

You can ask for wheelchair assistance when you meet on turnaround day.

• Thanks 1

Does the ship not offer a tour? If they do, I'd go with them even if a little bit more expensive. If not, I would recommend you get a small group together and take a private tour. I know there is a company that offers this option. I was recently in Puerto Rico and did research on the various tours available to El Yunque. Not sure I can give the website to look at here but it is well known and very helpful. 

1 hour ago, luvintravel said:

Does the ship not offer a tour?

Since this is debarkation/embarkation day, the only RCI tours end up at the airport.  Independent tours are also a bit problematic since there are no transportation options that pick-up from the ship.  One tour company recommends renting a car and meeting the tour at El Yunque.  Not enough people doing a B2B to make it feasible for tour companies.

16 hours ago, D4 said:

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

You can ask for wheelchair assistance when you meet on turnaround day.

^^^ This.  They will absolutely wheel you off and wheel you back on.

• Like 2

Just had a meeting for a b2b yesterday, lol. 

you should have the option to leave before the consecutive cruisers get off

and back on- and then meet up with someone who will take you to the rain forest. Start at 8 or 9am and you should easily be back before all aboard. Last time we drove there from Old San Juan, it was 30-40 min in a car. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

Since this is debarkation/embarkation day, the only RCI tours end up at the airport.  Independent tours are also a bit problematic since there are no transportation options that pick-up from the ship.  One tour company recommends renting a car and meeting the tour at El Yunque.  Not enough people doing a B2B to make it feasible for tour companies.

My last suggestion. They don't pick up at the ship but I believe they will pick you up at the hotel that is across the street (if you dock at the port in Old San Juan). The tour companies will give you the list of hotels where they pick up on the website when you make the reservation and there is no extra charge for the pick up. Just trying to help if you want to see the only rainforest in the US. Do not take the tour "Casual One at El Yunque". It goes to the base of the rainforest but not the rainforest itself. We had a  nice day but it wasn't El Yunque.

30 minutes ago, luvintravel said:

My last suggestion. They don't pick up at the ship but I believe they will pick you up at the hotel that is across the street (if you dock at the port in Old San Juan). The tour companies will give you the list of hotels where they pick up on the website when you make the reservation and there is no extra charge for the pick up. Just trying to help if you want to see the only rainforest in the US. Do not take the tour "Casual One at El Yunque". It goes to the base of the rainforest but not the rainforest itself. We had a  nice day but it wasn't El Yunque.

Only ships that are making port calls use the dock in Old San Juan.  Embarking ships use the PanAmerican dock, some distance away.

IMG_2332[1].PNG