Reasonably priced carry-on bag for embarkation?

NJRonbo

Looking for a duffle bag that isn't huge that can hold all the things we need on embarkation day before our luggage arrives.

This would include shoes, lotions, swimwear, laptop, etc.

Looking for something reasonably priced, say under $40, that is easy to carry around and doesn't look obnoxious when it's around your shoulder in the buffet line.

Any recommendations?

Depending on your cruise line you might be able to board, get your seapass from your door & put your carryon in your cabin ;(Celebrity & Royal do this). I don’t like duffels, I prefer wheeled bags we have a wheeled backpack from High Sierra that’s great, it was about $60 tho

Suggest that you haunt the discount stores (Ross, Marshall's, WalMart) to find just what you need.  I'd use my rollaboard, since I'm used to carting it around and parking it out of the way.  An over-shoulder duffle will be heavy.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Suggest that you haunt the discount stores (Ross, Marshall's, WalMart) to find just what you need

Agree with checking out Marshall’s and TJMaxx. I’ve found several great travel pieces there. One that I use a lot is a black quilted bag. It’s like the one pictured but a different brand and I got it at TJMaxx. You can carry it over your should or crossbody.

EF464378-4445-4B61-89C1-DCAD6D606729.thumb.png.29d7cd2a7c404d538a2e081218770f0c.png

• Like 1

I bought a women's backpack/bag very similar to this $25 one at Target:

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-full-square-15-4-backpack-wild-fable/-/A-84145182?preselect=82173164#lnk=sametab

It meets the "personal item" size for airlines and has a lightly padded back that protected my chromebook.  My DSLR and purse fit in too.  Easier to handle than a duffle.

13 hours ago, dd57 said:

I bought a women's backpack/bag very similar to this $25 one at Target:

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-full-square-15-4-backpack-wild-fable/-/A-84145182?preselect=82173164#lnk=sametab

It meets the "personal item" size for airlines and has a lightly padded back that protected my chromebook.  My DSLR and purse fit in too.  Easier to handle than a duffle.

It's very nice. Red, too!  🙂

Basket2x.png

On 4/21/2023 at 6:41 AM, NJRonbo said:

Looking for a duffle bag that isn't huge that can hold all the things we need on embarkation day before our luggage arrives.

This would include shoes, lotions, swimwear, laptop, etc.

Looking for something reasonably priced, say under $40, that is easy to carry around and doesn't look obnoxious when it's around your shoulder in the buffet line.

Any recommendations?

What bag do you plan to bring for your beach bag /island stop bag?  Rather than bringing a second bag, use that bag for your carry-on.  I'd be surprised if you don't have half a dozen bags knocking about in your closet right now.  

Any number of bags and brands exist, but I have two suggestions: 

- Personally, we like a backpack, as it allows us to be "hands free".  I've been using the Osprey Day Lite for about two years now.  It's a narrow pack, which is comfortable to wear, and at 14 liters (I think?) it has more than enough space for the few things I carry on.  

- If you go with a tote bag, choose one with a zippered top, which will assure that nothing will fall out (or be pick-pocketed on the islands).  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 9:03 AM, awhfy said:

Depending on your cruise line you might be able to board, get your seapass from your door & put your carryon in your cabin ;(Celebrity & Royal do this). I don’t like duffels, I prefer wheeled bags we have a wheeled backpack from High Sierra that’s great, it was about $60 tho

Royal Caribbean absolutely does NOT allow people to enter their cabins and drop off luggage before the cabins are made available to everyone, usually around 2:00. The hallways to cabins will all be shut with signs instructing passengers to wait until an announcement is made regarding the cabins being open. Please do not inconvenience those stewards working hard to turn around the cabins between cruises. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

Royal Caribbean absolutely does NOT allow people to enter their cabins and drop off luggage before the cabins are made available to everyone, usually around 2:00. The hallways to cabins will all be shut with signs instructing passengers to wait until an announcement is made regarding the cabins being open. Please do not inconvenience those stewards working hard to turn around the cabins between cruises. 

We got our seapass on our door & put out hand carry bag in our room on Liberty & Harmony in October & December. The doors were open when we boarded at noon 

So, the idea of a backpack is probably the best one I have read.

Have been pouring over reviews for hours on Amazon on dozens of backpacks.

One has already been recommended in Post #7 (Thank You).  I need, probably at least a 30L backpack to carry for two people on a day excursion.  I think 30L will hold towels, sneakers, a bag for wet items, and a change of clothes (since we are doing a water excursion).

On 4/24/2023 at 4:11 PM, NJRonbo said:

So, the idea of a backpack is probably the best one I have read.

Have been pouring over reviews for hours on Amazon on dozens of backpacks.

One has already been recommended in Post #7 (Thank You).  I need, probably at least a 30L backpack to carry for two people on a day excursion.  I think 30L will hold towels, sneakers, a bag for wet items, and a change of clothes (since we are doing a water excursion).

30L is quite a large day pack.  Think over what you really need to carry ... why would you need to carry extra shoes or a change of clothes?  

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

30L is quite a large day pack.  Think over what you really need to carry ... why would you need to carry extra shoes or a change of clothes?  

We are going on a Jet Ski excursion that includes snorkling.

Our clothes will be soaked.  We will need to bring towels. We need a change of clothing and from what I was told, taxi cab drivers are not fond of letting wet-clothed passengers in their vehicles. 

The place we are going only has a bathroom to change so it's not like everything can be stored in a locker.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

We are going on a Jet Ski excursion that includes snorkling.

Our clothes will be soaked.  We will need to bring towels. We need a change of clothing and from what I was told, taxi cab drivers are not fond of letting wet-clothed passengers in their vehicles. 

The place we are going only has a bathroom to change so it's not like everything can be stored in a locker.

Your swimsuit will be soaked, and they dry quickly in the Caribbean sun -- you won't be wet by the time the boat returns to shore, you leave the dock, probably stop for a drink or some shopping -- your taxi driver will have no reason to complain. 

Yes, you need a towel but not a change of clothes.  Don't weigh yourself down with things you don't need. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Your swimsuit will be soaked, and they dry quickly in the Caribbean sun -- you won't be wet by the time the boat returns to shore, you leave the dock, probably stop for a drink or some shopping -- your taxi driver will have no reason to complain. 

Yes, you need a towel but not a change of clothes.  Don't weigh yourself down with things you don't need. 

Some of us just want our stuff with us.  Some of us like to get out of our wet swimsuits ASAP.  Some of us want extra shoes in case something breaks.  Some of us just want our stuff with us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Some of us just want our stuff with us.  Some of us like to get out of our wet swimsuits ASAP.  Some of us want extra shoes in case something breaks.  Some of us just want our stuff with us.

Thank You

I agree with checking out the discount stores.........Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross are a few examples. They usually have good prices on "carry on style" bags.......personally, I prefer a wheeled carry on but I think you are looking for something specifically for excursions...is that correct? I would try to find something in a tote style for that type of event.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I agree with checking out the discount stores.........Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross are a few examples. They usually have good prices on "carry on style" bags.......personally, I prefer a wheeled carry on but I think you are looking for something specifically for excursions...is that correct? I would try to find something in a tote style for that type of event.  

Yeah, the tote is fine but it would need to be zippered and lockable.  However, that might not matter as it could easily be stolen by just walking away with it (like anything else).   However, that is a viable option as the backpacks I am looking at are either too cheaply made or too expensive.  

19 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Yeah, the tote is fine but it would need to be zippered and lockable.  However, that might not matter as it could easily be stolen by just walking away with it (like anything else).   However, that is a viable option as the backpacks I am looking at are either too cheaply made or too expensive.  

I'm reminded of my Rick Steves' soft nylon backpack.  It's about 20 years old and has been on almost every trip with us.  It was probably far more costly than anything else I buy, but still looks great and packs into a little ball.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I'm reminded of my Rick Steves' soft nylon backpack.  It's about 20 years old and has been on almost every trip with us.  It was probably far more costly than anything else I buy, but still looks great and packs into a little ball.  

That's what you get for buying good stuff.  Pay the money and it will last you forever.  My Dad taught me that.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

That's what you get for buying good stuff.  Pay the money and it will last you forever.  My Dad taught me that.  

I agree ... but I live with a man who wants the cheapest anything, everywhere.  We have great fun trying to buy things like toaster ovens and vaccuum cleaners together.  Easier to get the arguing over first, then order on Amazon.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I have a waterproof backpack that I use for wet excursions (snorkel, boat). I’ve had it for years. It’s neon yellow so I don’t forget it

If you are happy with it, and have the opportunity, shoot me the name of the brand.  Thanks

12 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

If you are happy with it, and have the opportunity, shoot me the name of the brand.  Thanks

I’ll dig it out of my travel bag (where it lives between cruises)

On 4/28/2023 at 8:47 PM, jsn55 said:

Okay, but you know you don't NEED to burden yourself with all that extra for an island day -- it's a choice to carry more.  Whatever you're doing, think through the way your day is likely to go:  As I said earlier, by the time the snorkel trip returns to shore, the participants' swim suits are going to be dry.  

I've never considered that my shoe might break; that seems kinda unlikely.  

On 4/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, NJRonbo said:

Yes, definitely choose something that zips, but not many bags are lockable -- fewer still are slash-resistant.  (I was with a group in Mexico City, and a bunch of people did have their purses slashed /wallets taken while we waited for a bus in the rain.)  Fortunately, I don't think all that's necessary during the day in the Caribbean islands; you should be careful, but you're unlikely to be the victim of a crime.  

If we're talking about backpacks, you should pay attention to the seams and zippers -- those are the parts that're most likely to fail you.  The big-name backpacks (Jansport, North Face) all give a lifetime guarantee on your seams and zippers.  

If we're talking tote bags, I personally love LL Bean.  I have a huge tote bag that I used to carry to /from school when I was a new teacher in the early 90s -- you know, back when we carried around books and papers that needed grading.  It's still in great condition.  

If you're looking to get a good name brand for less, consider buying used from Ebay.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Look at Cotopaxi and see if any of the many bags fit your size and price parameters.  They are lightweight and very colorful - you’ll spot yours yards away!  On my cruise right now (Alaska), I’m using the Bataan 16L as my daypack, a Taal Convertible as my “day bag” since I packed the Bataan.  I also have the Miravieles 35L duffel, but didn’t bring it this time.  I’ve camped and travel around Europe with my Cotopaxi stuff.  LOVE IT.

• Like 1