Chocolate Melting Cake: Are we alone?

Lee Cruiser

Just curious to know if anyone is like my wife and me.  We hear lots of folks raging about the chocolate melting cake, but we are not fans.  We have tried it a few times throughout the years (mostly on our first few cruises), but it is not something that we are wild about.  My wife makes a chocolate cobbler that is similar, but tastes much better.  In reality, we are not impressed with many of the desserts in the main dining room.  We usually skip dessert at dinner.  We do like some of the cakes at lunch, but those can be hit or miss depending on the ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just curious to know if anyone is like my wife and me.  We hear lots of folks raging about the chocolate melting cake, but we are not fans.  We have tried it a few times throughout the years (mostly on our first few cruises), but it is not something that we are wild about.  My wife makes a chocolate cobbler that is similar, but tastes much better.  In reality, we are not impressed with many of the desserts in the main dining room.  We usually skip dessert at dinner.  We do like some of the cakes at lunch, but those can be hit or miss depending on the ship.

not a fan either.  Too many calories.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Not sure why you posted this.  Trolling ?

No, certainly not trolling. To be honest, I’ve been thinking about cruising a lot this week. It’s why I’ve posted more this week than I have in a while. We were supposed to be leaving out tomorrow on Mardi Gras, but had to cancel a while back due to the timing of our grandchild’s birth. First time we’ve had to cancel one in over 20 cruises.

• Like 4

Years ago on the Legend my family of four, including my young son and daughter raged over it. We would sing in unison "WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE" when our waiter would ask what we wanted for dessert. But, after several days of this it got old and after a week we wouldn't touch it. Too much of a good thing I guess. Thanks for bringing back this wonderful memory!

• Like 2

Just now, LUVMYGSDOG said:

I don’t really care for it.  Not sure why because I love chocolate!

Kim

We definitely love chocolate as well, but not the melting cake.  At one time we would order the room service chocolate cake at least a couple of times on each cruise. We also like some of the chocolate cakes during lunch.

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it can be hit and mess for me. sometimes it is too gooey and sometimes its like its not baked correctly

I guess that can be said about other desserts as well.  It sometimes varies quite a bit from ship to ship.

I'm OK with it. But generally on a 7 day, I will typically only get it once, or max twice. I find that just getting a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream (not soft serve) is a nice way to finish dinner. Nothing fancy. Just a simple scoop or two.

13 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

I'm OK with it. But generally on a 7 day, I will typically only get it once, or max twice. I find that just getting a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream (not soft serve) is a nice way to finish dinner. Nothing fancy. Just a simple scoop or two.

That is what I do too.  I actually really like vanilla ice cream. 

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks 🙂

We like the chocolate melting cake but only once or at most twice on a seven day cruise but we do order ice cream also to go with it. It is a bit overpowering.

As far as Carnival cakes... For us it is like pealing crawfish. When we eat cake we want some cake. Carnival makes its cakes layered with thin layers of cake and fat layers of icing. When we can actually get slices of cake we have to order a few then separate the icing from the cake, throw aside most of the icing then eat. On our last few cruises (since December) we haven't been able to get slices of cake. They cut it so thin the "slices" fall apart by the time they get to the plate and the crumbs of cake are mixed with the icing. No separating that.

My favorite Carnival dessert item is a chocolate shake from JavaBlue. I take my metal straw and get one at least once a day.

• Like 3

It's not the same.

It used to look and taste as if a piece of chocolate was baked into the center. Now it's as if its just an undercooked cake.

Ever do one of those betty crocker cupcake in a cup microwave thing?

It's just like that now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

It's not the same.

It used to look and taste as if a piece of chocolate was baked into the center. Now it's as if its just an undercooked cake.

Ever do one of those betty crocker cupcake in a cup microwave thing?

It's just like that now

THIS!  It is like they don't bake it quite long enough now.  Used to be it would be semi solid all the way through.  Now it is just solid on the top and very sides and super liquid (like just warm batter) in the middle.

I don't usually order these anymore, still "taste" good, but I just always find a better choice on the menu for me.

Years ago, I was watching a cooking show and she showed how to make basically the same exact thing.  The recipe is so easy I ran and wrote it down from memory.  I even went and bought the same little ramekins Carnival use and just make it at home myself a few times a year.  I cook mine until it is semi solid in the middle like Carnival used to and so much better.

Hubby still gets one once in a while when we cruise.

9 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We definitely love chocolate as well, but not the melting cake.  At one time we would order the room service chocolate cake at least a couple of times on each cruise. We also like some of the chocolate cakes during lunch.

Oh that chocolate cake from room service back when room service was free.  Now that was good chocolate cake!

Kim

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow I am the only one so far.  Order it EVERY night with a glass of milk and love it.  Maybe because I prefer it loose and that is how it normally is.  Thinking about this has my mouth watering for it now.  Thankfully cruise in 2 months.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nycruise1 said:

Wow I am the only one so far.  Order it EVERY night with a glass of milk and love it.  Maybe because I prefer it loose and that is how it normally is.  Thinking about this has my mouth watering for it now.  Thankfully cruise in 2 months.

You're just the only one who has commented.  There are lots of people who obviously love it.  I see many people ordering it every cruise.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2