NCL NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY

lawman294

NCL is not customer friendly! I just received my flight reservations for a cruise from Rome. We booked air and hotel through NCL for an early 3 day stay. I just received my flights this morning and we won't land in Rome until 535 PM losing a whole day. I called as soon as I received the air. They told me could not be modified because it has to be 75 days out which was 5 days ago, but I just received the notice this morning 70 days out. If I were sailing the same day They would get me to Rome at an early time!. I even offered to pay they said no!!! The air rep I spoke with agreed with me that it is not right! It falls within their parameter's that the flight arrive by 535 and hotel by 7. There is no way you can clear customs and get to the hotel by 7. NCL is losing a customer as of today. I can't even cancel without losing too much money and I looked to book my own air, but NCL will not refund all of my money so they got me. I will make the best of it but they have lost a loyal customer and I will never sail with them again, and I will encourage all of my friends and family not to sail with them!!!!! Not a happy person right now

You're using the BOGO air? 

2 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

They told me could not be modified because it has to be 75 days out which was 5 days ago, but I just received the notice this morning 70 days out.

Yes, per the T&C's of the promo any deviations need to be requested 75 days or more before the sailing.  https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

If you're using the BOGO air, which it sounds like you are, they only agree to get you there on the day requested (day of, 1 day before, 2 days before), no time is offered until the flights are booked.  It sounds as though they have met that requirement.  I guess you're allowed the 3-day deviation by booking the hotel through the cruise line?

With a little research (being an informed consumer isn't a bad idea) you will find that the BOGO air, while saving you money, DOES come with some drawbacks, such as you have discovered with your booking.  There are LOTS of threads here discussing this promo and the ins-and-outs of it.

12 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

but NCL will not refund all of my money

Because you're within the 'penalty' period where cancellations cost a portion of the fare.

9 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

I will make the best of it but they have lost a loyal customer and I will never sail with them again, and I will encourage all of my friends and family not to sail with them!!!!! Not a happy person right now

Had you done some research and known some of the 'gotchas' would you feel differently?  NCL is simply applying the policy and promo terms that you agreed to with your booking.

• Like 3

Yes I did use BOGO but I agree with getting you there, however when you send air reservations 70 days out and the cut off is 75 that is not a customer friendly service. If they informed me which I did check their policies that I could have modified earlier I certainly would have.

• Like 1

NCL air was a total nightmare!!! It is true, you save money but you get what you get. At 28 days out we still did not have the air info....at 21 days out they were still working on it..at 14 days out they told us to be patient. We bought our own air and then the TA said if we don't use NCL air they will cancel the entire cruise on us since it was a package deal.  After many phone calls, crying and pleading, we were able to get them to remove the air portion (NO MONEY REFUNDED) and they said they would not cancel the cabin. A total nightmare.......my advice, spend the extra money and do your own air!!!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

however when you send air reservations 70 days out and the cut off is 75 that is not a customer friendly service.

Why?  NCL controls what flights are booked - airline, airport (if there are multiple options within a certain distance) and times.  There's nothing you can do to get anything different when you book with the BOGO air.  You can't request a specific time, it's all based on the flight costs for the route you need to fly.

14 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

I did check their policies that I could have modified earlier I certainly would have.

Here's the issue - you requested a deviation already, right?  Typical maximum deviation is 2 days, but it sounds like you were allowed 3 because you also booked a hotel, right?  You were already at the limit, you couldn't have requested a longer deviation.  NCL booked what you asked and paid for, even if it wasn't what you were really expecting or hoping.  The deviations on the BOGO deal are primarily to ensure you can get to the port on time for embarkation, getting to tour the embarkation city is a bonus.

5 minutes ago, Minimama said:

(NO MONEY REFUNDED)

I won't argue that you had problems, it sounds like you did, but no refunded money less than 20 days before the cruise falls within the cancellation policy.  Is it a bad look to not book flights in a timely manner and then not refund the passenger when they decide to take matters in their own hands?  Sure is.  But if they fudge the policy for you, why shouldn't they for someone else?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

Yes I did use BOGO but I agree with getting you there, however when you send air reservations 70 days out and the cut off is 75 that is not a customer friendly service. If they informed me which I did check their policies that I could have modified earlier I certainly would have.

Not allowing changes after day 75 when they send them to you on day 70 is total bullpuckey. What are they going to say, "You should have complained five days ago"?? How were you to know there was a problem on day 75, or before? I know what the fine print says, but to not budge on it in this instance is horrible customer service. Like you said, they have your money and you're left holding the bag.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, lawman294 said:

Sorry this happened but it's the way it works. The only modification you can make at 75 days is with respect to the deviation. You already had a 2-day deviation, which is the maximum you can request without using NCL for hotel reservations as well.  So there was nothing to modify, they don't modify flights just because you don't like what you got.

Had this happen to me going to Stockholm.  But I was only flying in the day before.  Turned out to be a moot point anyway because the original flight was cancelled due to SAS going on strike and I got rerouted at the last minute, had to overnight in Munich (hooray for airport sleeping pods!), arrived the morning of my cruise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Not allowing changes after day 75 when they send them to you on day 70 is total bullpuckey. I know what the fine print says, but to not budge on it in this instance is horrible customer service. How were you to know there was a problem on day 75, or before? Like you said, they have your money and you're left holding the bag.

If you don't like the policy then don't use the promo. It may not be agreeable to all, but NCL outlines their standards, people just need to take a minute to read the terms.

https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

• Like 1

We like NCL air. We use it with full understanding that NCL is going to pick the cheapest flights to/from our cruise ports which are not going to be the flights that we would have picked if we booked on our own. There should be no confusion about the fact that flights are going to be sub-optimal. 

It's like using an Uber at an airport. I can get in a taxi and leave immediately after getting out of a terminal. The taxi will be of a general, expected quality and cleanliness. Or I can save money with an Uber, standing in the cold (or hot) for 15-20 minutes, getting a car of varying quality, and a driver who does not understand that when they accept an airport run, they can't have their trunk full of Costco purchases with no places for a suitcase. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

Why?  NCL controls what flights are booked - airline, airport (if there are multiple options within a certain distance) and times.  There's nothing you can do to get anything different when you book with the BOGO air.  You can't request a specific time, it's all based on the flight costs for the route you need to fly.

Here's the issue - you requested a deviation already, right?  Typical maximum deviation is 2 days, but it sounds like you were allowed 3 because you also booked a hotel, right?  You were already at the limit, you couldn't have requested a longer deviation.  NCL booked what you asked and paid for, even if it wasn't what you were really expecting or hoping.  The deviations on the BOGO deal are primarily to ensure you can get to the port on time for embarkation, getting to tour the embarkation city is a bonus.

I won't argue that you had problems, it sounds like you did, but no refunded money less than 20 days before the cruise falls within the cancellation policy.  Is it a bad look to not book flights in a timely manner and then not refund the passenger when they decide to take matters in their own hands?  Sure is.  But if they fudge the policy for you, why shouldn't they for someone else?

You are absolutely correct!! Have a great day!!  

2 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

If you don't like the policy then don't use the promo. It may not be agreeable to all, but NCL outlines their standards, people just need to take a minute to read the terms.

https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards

I don't like their policy and that's why I'll never use it. 

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

I don't like their policy and that's why I'll never use it. 

That's totally your right. At least you took the time to read what the offering is. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people that complain when they get exactly what NCL promised.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We like NCL air. We use it with full understanding that NCL is going to pick the cheapest flights to/from our cruise ports which are not going to be the flights that we would have picked if we booked on our own. There should be no confusion about the fact that flights are going to be sub-optimal. 

It's like using an Uber at an airport. I can get in a taxi and leave immediately after getting out of a terminal. The taxi will be of a general, expected quality and cleanliness. Or I can save money with an Uber, standing in the cold (or hot) for 15-20 minutes, getting a car of varying quality, and a driver who does not understand that when they accept an airport run, they can't have their trunk full of Costco purchases with no places for a suitcase. 

Interesting, at our airport (Newark NJ) if you want decent transportation, definitely get an Uber/Lyft, taxi’s here are pretty awful.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Not allowing changes after day 75 when they send them to you on day 70 is total bullpuckey. What are they going to say, "You should have complained five days ago"?? How were you to know there was a problem on day 75, or before?

If the reservation is correct (deviations are requested properly, etc.) and what was assigned for flights on day 70 fall within those parameters, then there's nothing wrong.  NCL only agreed to get them there a certain number of days before the cruise, there's no assurance of what TIME they'll get there, as long as it's that number of days before the cruise or at least by the time the ship sails if arriving on the day of (well, they'll BOOK it that way, but it should be noted they don't guarantee arrival by the time of the cruise OR transport to the first port if flight delays happen).

sorry this happened to you, but remember the saying "penny wise dollar foolish" prior to covid, we cruised at least 2 times per year. in 2022 we did 4 cruises, we did the panama canal this past jan and are booked on the dawn b2b july 27th through aug 15th.

while i'm certainly not swimming in dough, regardless of the promo, i will "NEVER, EVER" allow ncl to book my airfare.  we got a phenomenal fare business class non stop from lax to london.  i dont want to get the cheapest possible fare just to save a few bucks, and be unhappy with the outcome like you are.

once again, i am certainly not an ncl cheerleader, and of course like any major corporations, they are bound to get a few things wrong, but generally speaking i would call them consumer unfriendly.

incidentally, while i dont know where you're flying from but i dont think any airlines offer nonstop flights to rome. that being said, it will probably be a long day for you anyway, and i'm sure the room at  the hotel will still be there when you arrive. You may want to contact them just to be safe and tell them you might get there later than 7. in any event, whenever we fly out of the country, we're usually to wipedout to do anything but crash anyway.  rome is just as lovely at night, and you still have 2 more days to explore. the crowds however are horrible. also, remember the departure port is at least an hour away.

so, in the end, i'm sure you're both disappointed and po'd, but dont let it affect the rest of the cruise. if you're sailingthe greek isles or any where through the mediterraen the ports and scenery are magnificent and you'll still be able to have a great time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lawman294 said:

NCL is not customer friendly! I just received my flight reservations for a cruise from Rome. We booked air and hotel through NCL for an early 3 day stay. I just received my flights this morning and we won't land in Rome until 535 PM losing a whole day. I called as soon as I received the air. They told me could not be modified because it has to be 75 days out which was 5 days ago, but I just received the notice this morning 70 days out. If I were sailing the same day They would get me to Rome at an early time!. I even offered to pay they said no!!! The air rep I spoke with agreed with me that it is not right! It falls within their parameter's that the flight arrive by 535 and hotel by 7. There is no way you can clear customs and get to the hotel by 7. NCL is losing a customer as of today. I can't even cancel without losing too much money and I looked to book my own air, but NCL will not refund all of my money so they got me. I will make the best of it but they have lost a loyal customer and I will never sail with them again, and I will encourage all of my friends and family not to sail with them!!!!! Not a happy person right now

With time changes and all the travel time, I don't see how you could expect to get to Rome much earlier. This is not really a valid complaint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey lynne, the only way lawman could have possibly gotten to rome in the morning, was to take a red eye flight out the night before.  we're leaving los angeles at 3:45 p.m. on a non stop flight to london, and still wont arrive at lhr until after 10 am. even if he got to rome before noon, im pretty sure he'd be wiped out and want to do nothing but take a shower and crash for a few hrs. 

so i agree  with you 100% in reality, this is not a valid complaint

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

With time changes and all the travel time, I don't see how you could expect to get to Rome much earlier. This is not really a valid complaint.

Nonstop flights to Rome from the east coast generally arrive before 10am.  NCL probably booked them on a flight to another European hub (Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, etc.) and then a connection on to Rome.

4 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Huh???

Of course you can get to Rome in the morning - they do it all the time for people who don't choose a deviation.  You just have to leave earlier and fly overnight.  Deviation requests are based on the day you want to arrive, not the day you leave.  Back in the days when I trusted the airlines to actually fly on schedule, my flight arrived at FCO at 8:45am. Flight was direct from Toronto, left at 6:35pm the day before.

3 minutes ago, Cruiseandgamble said:

Nonstop flights to Rome from the east coast generally arrive before 10am.  NCL probably booked them on a flight to another European hub (Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, etc.) and then a connection on to Rome.

Yep, that's prolly true! That is one of the reasons I would NOT use NCL air!

• Like 1