Best seats on train from Anchorage to Whittier

madre2

We will be traveling on the train from Anchorage to Whittier before our Princess cruise, as part of the pre cruise/ hotel package.  For those of you that have done this, is there a preferred side of the train to sit on for the most scenic views?  Or maybe we will even get assigned seats, I’m not sure.   But if we have our choice, we are interested in having  the best view.  Thank you for your advice!

I agree with right side heading south.  I've found that people are out of their seats quite a bit so it's not impossible to move around.  The left side might have a better view of mountain goats clinging to the rocks.

Prefer the right side because of the Turnagain Arm views but you will have great views on either side!  

We‘ve a,ways been assigned our seats—one time we were on the left and unable to change seats.  It turned out okay since we saw many, many Dall sheep and moose on the left hand side!

Strangely enough, I liked the left side of the gold star dome, as if you were on the right you would be getting reflections in your pictures of the scenery, I liked seeing more of the scenery without having to move my head....I know that sounds silly, but I liked being "farther away" from the windows HAHA

On 4/24/2023 at 4:04 AM, Crew News said:

Best location for pictures is on the platforms between the cars.

As mentioned, we had assigned seats. We were lucky to get seats on the right, but I spent most of my time outside on the platform taking pictures. We were lucky again that we were in the last car. Back platform was awesome. I stayed out there when we went through the tunnel. THAT was cool!