LIVE * Prima * April 30 – May 7, 2023 * Aft OS

HBCcruiser

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Wow -- another from HBCcruiser! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

HBCcruiser was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

LESS THAN ONE WEEK TO GO BEFORE WE BOARD THE PRIMA! 🥂🚢. I keep debating whether or not to do live reviews due to the time commitment, however, with the mixed reviews and questions surrounding the Prima (it is a love-hate thing I think), as well as the fact that some my fellow R🐀P-ers @Sailing12Away @CptBoatface  will be sailing on her soon – in fact, @Sailing12Away will be in the exact same cabin type as us – I decided to go for it. I also know that @ChiefMateJRK and @oteixeira like to join in the fun! 😜     

Oh, and just so you know upfront I am a firm believer in YOLO and Go Big or Go Home, especially when it comes to vacations. My DH and I work hard so we like to play hard and make great/fun memories. Simple. 

We booked this cruise a looong time ago - on March 23, 2021 to be exact. It was a replacement cruise for a COVID canceled birthday/anniversary cruise. We were one of the lucky ones who booked the Aft Owner's Suite on Deck 10 thinking it had a hot tub on the balcony only to find out later that it DOES NOT have said hot tub. Boy, was I pi$$ed! NCL would not do anything about it despite my TA complaints about a bait and switch. Luckily, my TA was able to snag the same cabin on deck 12 when someone cancelled. I must say, though, the price we paid was much lower than the INSANE Haven prices I see today. Example: The Viva New Year’s Eve 9-day cruise is selling our same cabin type for around $38,000 for 2! Seriously? But I digress...

Bermuda is one of my favorite places. I went there for spring break every year as a college student (IK,IK, weird, but I did not want the crazy Florida party scene). My friends and I would rent mopeds and zip around the island having an absolute blast! In 2017 my mom, DDs and I cruised on the BA to Bermuda. The island had gotten much more crowded but was still as beautiful as I had remembered. This will be my DH’s first time to Bermuda, and I want to make sure he has a wonderful time. 

Looking at the weather forecast right now shows rain in NYC, and possible showers in Bermuda. ⛈️  Boo! As an admitted type A planner, I had to create a plan “B” in case the rain prevents us from doing any of the activities scheduled under Plan “A”. Plan “B” consists of catching a ferry or van into Hamilton and hit the pubs. After all, someone has to do Rum Swizzle taste testing! 

Plan A: 

IMG_4088.thumb.jpeg.cdc67bad3a04a12f561270db3ca3d97c.jpeg

Plan B: 

390B3C6B-1D7A-423D-A9D5-F7ABCFFEFA04.thumb.jpg.663fffe553aa846fbee762c626c560e2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Our itinerary: 

ScreenShot2023-04-17at9_18_05AM.jpeg.c964541a36602892e1d974af85b3a502.jpeg

We are flying to NY on Saturday and will be staying with friends right outside of the city. Hopefully our flights are on time, but at least we have a little buffer just in case. 

Yes, we were going to stop in Virginia Beach, but they cancelled that stop. My DH was bummed because he wanted to see the Wisconsin and the Naval Air Station there. Oh, and he dislikes sea days. Oops. 

Originally, I had booked the scooters for us to enjoy, but after hearing how riding those had become more dangerous with all the added traffic, I decided on renting one of the small electric cars – the Tazzari - instead. No road rash for me! So much for reliving my college days, but knowing my Murphy's Law type of luck... Well, you can only imagine. We plan on renting this on Thursday, on our second day in Bermuda. 

Tazzari:

ScreenShot2023-04-17at9_16_02AM.thumb.jpeg.536aa62bfcc262869662875e5c6c1aa7.jpeg

I am a little worried that the Catamaran Evening Sail will be cancelled. It no longer shows up as an option to book, AND it does not show up on my Summary Page/event calendar. I DO have the email showing that we are booked and fully paid. My hope is that it is just sold out. It sounds so nice! Hope the rain holds off too. 🤞

• Like 2

Pre-cruise interaction with NCL:

Months ago, we received an online survey email from the pre-cruise concierge asking us about or cabin preferences – types of booze, sodas, waters, pillows, coffee/teas we preferred. I also asked a few questions about pre-booking reservations. Yes, they can help with booking dining reservations and the two shows – Donna Summers and Price is Right, but the other events must be booked onboard. I really want my DH to see the Rumors show in the Syd Norman’s. Last year on the BA I saw it and WOW, what a great show! YES - I WILL wait in line to see this show. My DH can just keep feeding me adult beverages. We also want to see the comedians. I have heard mixed feedback regarding the concierge being able to get us into those venues. We shall see what happens. 

We could book dinner reservations starting 130 days out. Check-in was 21 days out. Now, because I live on the West coast, I could book 9 PM the night before (which was 12 PM on the East coast.) SWEET!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Pre-cruise interaction with NCL:

Months ago, we received an online survey email from the pre-cruise concierge asking us about or cabin preferences – types of booze, sodas, waters, pillows, coffee/teas we preferred. I also asked a few questions about pre-booking reservations. Yes, they can help with booking dining reservations and the two shows – Donna Summers and Price is Right, but the other events must be booked onboard. I really want my DH to see the Rumors show in the Syd Norman’s. Last year on the BA I saw it and WOW, what a great show! YES - I WILL wait in line to see this show. My DH can just keep feeding me adult beverages. We also want to see the comedians. I have heard mixed feedback regarding the concierge being able to get us into those venues. We shall see what happens. 

We could book dinner reservations starting 130 days out. Check-in was 21 days out. Now, because I live on the West coast, I could book 9 PM the night before (which was 12 PM on the East coast.) SWEET!

Looking forward to your review.  We loved Prima in March.  And there have been a few posts here that the comediens are now in the theater.  

• Like 1

A special thanks to @Sthrngary  for his fantastic Haven thread and butler letter suggestion. I did that last year and think it helped. Our butler asked if she could share it with our concierge, so this time I have printed out 2 copies – one for our butler and one for our concierge (along with nice tips for both). I also want to thank those who have done previous Prima Live reviews: Your threads were great sources of information and helped me plan this cruise. 

Although I was really,really tempted (thanks for your great LIVE @sid_9169) to book the Vibe when it opened for bookings, I did not. I figure other's will need that special adult only area more than we will.  NCL really needs to offer more 18+ areas with hot tubs/pools onboard. IMO THAT is the main reason why Haven pax book the Vibe. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red-Sol said:

Following! At least until Sunday when we board....I tend to be "off the grid" when cruising and just soak up the experience. Will catch up on anything I miss when we return.

I hope to meet you onboard. Thanks so much for organizing some of the group events. Feel free to share and post your perspective on the Prima on this thread if the mood strikes you. 

• Like 2

That reminds me - we have a VERY active FB and CC page. A special THANKS goes out to @Whitefacekat  and @Red-Sol who have worked hard to put together some fun events for this cruise! I think at last count we had close to 200 signed up for the M&G. Way to go Stephanie! I am hoping that I can get my DH to attend the Sail away meet-up, M&G, LCR games and the Pub Crawl. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Things to pack: 

A few things I needed to remember to pack in addition to the regular clothes and things for this particular cruise:

-    Layers (cooler weather in NY and at night)
-    Cash for tips – smaller bills for bartenders/server tips and large bills for our butler, stateroom attendant and concierge
-    ALL the paperwork printed out in case the ship “loses record” of a pre-purchased item.
-    Insulated cup and straw to keep beverages cold (paper straws are worthless IMO).
-    Water shoes
-    Waterproof iPhone case
-    Downloaded Google map of Bermuda – I packed the small paper Bermuda road map as well just in case.
-    Chargers and cords
-    Sneakers so I can ride the Go-carts. 🏎️
-    Wine pump and stopper to keep our room wine fresh a champagne stopper too (just in case we don’t finish our bubbles in one setting). 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

A special thanks to @Sthrngary  for his fantastic Haven thread and butler letter suggestion. I did that last year and think it helped. Our butler asked if she could share it with our concierge, so this time I have printed out 2 copies – one for our butler and one for our concierge (along with nice tips for both). I also want to thank those who have done previous Prima Live reviews: Your threads were great sources of information and helped me plan this cruise. 

Although I was really,really tempted (thanks for your great LIVE @sid_9169) to book the Vibe when it opened for bookings, I did not. I figure other's will need that special adult only area more than we will.  NCL really needs to offer more 18+ areas with hot tubs/pools onboard. IMO THAT is the main reason why Haven pax book the Vibe. 

I have been doing the letters since before the shutdown thanks to Gary @Sthrngary, they work great, especially when lubed with a bill nicely folded into them to start the trip.  ;)  

Just now, oteixeira said:

I have been doing the letters since before the shutdown thanks to Gary @Sthrngary, they work great, especially when lubed with a bill nicely folded into them to start the trip.  😉

100% Agree! Here is a copy of our letter in case others are wondering what in the world we are talking about (names removed to protect the innocent🤣):

ScreenShot2023-04-18at3_54_17PM.thumb.jpeg.a8b881726b3f5e225ecd13156d072dff.jpeg

ScreenShot2023-04-18at3_55_00PM.thumb.jpeg.ab97e980b97bc3604bc54a4213c9fccf.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

LESS THAN ONE WEEK TO GO BEFORE WE BOARD THE PRIMA! 🥂🚢. I keep debating whether or not to do live reviews due to the time commitment, however, with the mixed reviews and questions surrounding the Prima (it is a love-hate thing I think), as well as the fact that some my fellow R🐀P-ers @Sailing12Away @CptBoatface  will be sailing on her soon – in fact, @Sailing12Away will be in the exact same cabin type as us – I decided to go for it. I also know that @ChiefMateJRK and @oteixeira like to join in the fun! 😜     

Oh, and just so you know upfront I am a firm believer in YOLO and Go Big or Go Home, especially when it comes to vacations. My DH and I work hard so we like to play hard and make great/fun memories. Simple. 

We booked this cruise a looong time ago - on March 23, 2021 to be exact. It was a replacement cruise for a COVID canceled birthday/anniversary cruise. We were one of the lucky ones who booked the Aft Owner's Suite on Deck 10 thinking it had a hot tub on the balcony only to find out later that it DOES NOT have said hot tub. Boy, was I pi$$ed! NCL would not do anything about it despite my TA complaints about a bait and switch. Luckily, my TA was able to snag the same cabin on deck 12 when someone cancelled. I must say, though, the price we paid was much lower than the INSANE Haven prices I see today. Example: The Viva New Year’s Eve 9-day cruise is selling our same cabin type for around $38,000 for 2! Seriously? But I digress...

Bermuda is one of my favorite places. I went there for spring break every year as a college student (IK,IK, weird, but I did not want the crazy Florida party scene). My friends and I would rent mopeds and zip around the island having an absolute blast! In 2017 my mom, DDs and I cruised on the BA to Bermuda. The island had gotten much more crowded but was still as beautiful as I had remembered. This will be my DH’s first time to Bermuda, and I want to make sure he has a wonderful time. 

Looking at the weather forecast right now shows rain in NYC, and possible showers in Bermuda. ⛈️  Boo! As an admitted type A planner, I had to create a plan “B” in case the rain prevents us from doing any of the activities scheduled under Plan “A”. Plan “B” consists of catching a ferry or van into Hamilton and hit the pubs. After all, someone has to do Rum Swizzle taste testing! 

Plan A: 

IMG_4088.thumb.jpeg.cdc67bad3a04a12f561270db3ca3d97c.jpeg

Plan B: 

390B3C6B-1D7A-423D-A9D5-F7ABCFFEFA04.thumb.jpg.663fffe553aa846fbee762c626c560e2.jpg

I will most definitely be following along on your live review.   Have a wonderful time.

Bermuda is also my husband's and mine favorite island.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

So my DH got carried away with Amazon ordering. 🙄 I promised him I'd wear the baseball hat. 🤦‍♀️

On a positive note, I guess he is excited about this cruise! 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.e9b2c33495cfc5cf8394499233b11697.jpeg

Oh that will go over great in Gen Pop.   LOL  

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Oh that will go over great in Gen Pop.   LOL  

I know right! 😂 😂 😂  I tried to tell my DH that but he said "Who the (blank) cares?" It is his first time in the "Real" Haven so I have to cut him some slack. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

That reminds me - we have a VERY active FB and CC page. A special THANKS goes out to @Whitefacekat  and @Red-Sol who have worked hard to put together some fun events for this cruise! I think at last count we had close to 200 signed up for the M&G. Way to go Stephanie! I am hoping that I can get my DH to attend the Sail away meet-up, M&G, LCR games and the Pub Crawl. 

Thank You for the recognition!...I would also like to throw the name of @peg013 into the mix as a great contrbiutor to the groups and the leader of the LCR delegation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

@HBCcruiser @oteixeira maybe the visor one is a tad more subtle 🤣

I know right? 😂 Yeh I will NOT be wearing any of them outside of the Haven. My DH would be hurt if I did not at least wear one of them. Perhaps just on our balcony. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Looking forward to meeting everyone…and, the planned activities sound like a great way to spend time on the multiple sea days!! Thank you to all the organizers and communicators.  See y’all onboard!!

I just finished the cliffs notes version of this...would it be OK for me to drive the boat?

CAPTAIN-LICENSE-HOW-TO.jpg

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

I just finished the cliffs notes version of this...would it be OK for me to drive the boat?

CAPTAIN-LICENSE-HOW-TO.jpg

How to Captain a Cruise Ship for Dummies is also a pre-requisite.

That’s too funny. Our youngest son actually got his Captain’s license and worked for Lindblad Expeditions (they do Nat Geo cruises) and there is no way on God’s green (or blue) earth would I trust him to operate a ship, let alone the Zodiacs…lol.

• Haha 3