Bahamas - PASSPORT CARD?

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not you can still use a birth certificate/drivers license for the Bahamas. Travel.State.Gov says you can use a Passport card for Caribbean countries. When I Google Bahamas it says it's "technically" NOT the Caribbean.  And if I do need a passport - will the passport card suffice or do I need the actual BOOK? 

Thanks in advance!

The real question you're asking here is whether or not you can use a passport card to get back into the U.S., which it seems the answer is yes if you're on a cruise according to this document from the state department. It seems as though the Bahamas only requires proof of citizenship.

*I'd also strongly suggest bringing the book, even though the state department suggests you can use the physical card. Also, make a photocopy or take a photo of it on your phone in case it gets lost.

Edited by notscb

12 hours ago, wakegirl69 said:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not you can still use a birth certificate/drivers license for the Bahamas. Travel.State.Gov says you can use a Passport card for Caribbean countries. When I Google Bahamas it says it's "technically" NOT the Caribbean.  And if I do need a passport - will the passport card suffice or do I need the actual BOOK? 

Thanks in advance!

You will be in transit.  

13 hours ago, wakegirl69 said:

And if I do need a passport - will the passport card suffice or do I need the actual BOOK? 

If you have a passport card you can  use it on a closed loop cruise. You don't need the passport book. Or you can use a birth certificate and photo ID on a closed loop cruise if you don't have a passport book or passport card. If you don't have a passport book or card and are trying to decide what to apply for I advise not applying only for a passport card. You won't be able to use the passport card for international air travel. Many order both the book and add the card to have a backup government ID. 

13 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Just know you can't fly with a passport card.

My understanding was the passport card WAS acceptable for flying under the new rules set to hit this year (that keep getting delayed). I was intending on getting a card also when renewing my book this year. I'd rather just put the card in my wallet and leave the passport at home for when traveling international. Also would rather use the card as gov ID in ports and leave my DL on board. It is easier to replace a passport card than a DL.

11 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

My understanding was the passport card WAS acceptable for flying under the new rules set to hit this year (that keep getting delayed). I was intending on getting a card also when renewing my book this year. I'd rather just put the card in my wallet and leave the passport at home for when traveling international. Also would rather use the card as gov ID in ports and leave my DL on board. It is easier to replace a passport card than a DL.

I just checked.   The card is ok to fly within the US as a Real ID.  If you are flying internationally you still need a passport.  So if you're sailing it will get you onto a closed loop cruise but if you are outside the US, even if in Canada,  Mexico,  Bermuda,  you can't use it fly back to the US. Still need a passport to enter the US.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

It is easier to replace a passport card than a DL.

Depends on State I guess. Have had Enhanced DL for yrs that used for my Open Loop Cruises for a Decade. It's a Michigan EDL, was several months from Expiring, didn't have Star on it and was here in Arizona. Went ONLINE last Spring, applied for new one, received within a week. They added another 4yrs to Expiration just used my old pic that will be 8yrs old by time I get my next new one. So much for Enhanced Security

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

The passport card can be used for domestic air travel. It can not be used for international air travel. That has not changed. You still need the passport book for international air travel. Don’t confuse Real ID for domestic air travel which my someday actually not be postponed for ID used for international air travel. Real ID, Passport cards, EDLs can not be used for international air travel.