First time I have had a tour canceled nine days before cruise

40 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@seasickphil "Unlimited shore excursions" means you are free to book as many shore excursions as you want, in every port, even more than one a day if the timing allows — there is no limit on the number of excursions you can book. It does not mean they provide an unlimited number of shore excursions — there may be 3 or 5 or 9 or 14 in any given port — but it's a finite, not unlimited, number of excursions. And it does not mean there is unlimited capacity on every shore excursion such that every passenger can get a seat on every excursion offered. It's just common sense, really. (They also offer unlimited alcoholic beverages, but that doesn't mean that they will have the bottle/brand you want in every bar on every day or every cruise. Nor that you can consume them all. 🤣)

If the exclusion company that have contracted with cancels an excursion — whether because their boat or bus or ATV is broken, or because they can't get enough staff to provide drivers/guides on every bus or boat — what do you think the cruise line should do? They can't manufacture a bus or tour guide if one isn't available from one of their vetted and approved tour operators. Refunds aren't a viable option, because the excursions are not priced a la carte to begin with; some people sail on the cruise and never leave the ship, and they don't get money back, so why would someone whose excursion gets canceled?

cruiseej

Embark on an unforgettable journey, enjoying as many shoreside tours and experiences as you wish with our INCLUDED Unlimited Shore Excursions, from encountering majestic wildlife to sampling delicious cuisine to touring iconic UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Only Regent Seven Seas Cruises® offers this extraordinary inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it.

How can anyone take full advantage of the "extraordinary inclusion" if there are no shore excursions available to go on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

cruiseej

Embark on an unforgettable journey, enjoying as many shoreside tours and experiences as you wish with our INCLUDED Unlimited Shore Excursions, from encountering majestic wildlife to sampling delicious cuisine to touring iconic UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Only Regent Seven Seas Cruises® offers this extraordinary inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it.

How can anyone take full advantage of the "extraordinary inclusion" if there are no shore excursions available to go on.

No where does it say that there will be an inclusion in each and every port or that you are guaranteed  your choice of tour. Regent has a lot to offer but there are other cruise lines out there if you are unhappy with the product.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cwn said:

No where does it say that there will be an inclusion in each and every port or that you are guaranteed  your choice of tour. Regent has a lot to offer but there are other cruise lines out there if you are unhappy with the product.

Where do i say anything about there will be an inclusion in each and every port or that you are guaranteed  your choice of tour. What i said was how can anyone take full advantage of something if it is not available. If i didn't like the product why would i be going on Splendor this July and on Voyager for 18 nights next March?. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

What i said was how can anyone take full advantage of something if it is not available.

So as I wrote above, how would you expect them to satisfy the conditions you are stating? They would have to have every excursion, in every port, available to every passenger, at all times, right?

Actually, the moment excursions open for a cruise, at that time every excursion is available to you, and you can sign up for an unlimited number of them (except for those which overlap in time).  But over time, some excursions fill up, of course. Are you saying that their wording is misleading because you believe they have promised that no excursion will ever sell out, and they will expand capacity on every excursion to everyone who wants to go? I think we all understand that's just not possible. 

(I say this as someone who booked a cruise earlier this year, 7 months in advance, and is still waitlisted for several of our desired excursions. Is that frustrating? Of course it is. But I don't think they were being deceptive with their marketing.) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

So as I wrote above, how would you expect them to satisfy the conditions you are stating? They would have to have every excursion, in every port, available to every passenger, at all times, right?

Actually, the moment excursions open for a cruise, at that time every excursion is available to you, and you can sign up for an unlimited number of them (except for those which overlap in time).  But over time, some excursions fill up, of course. Are you saying that their wording is misleading because you believe they have promised that no excursion will ever sell out, and they will expand capacity on every excursion to everyone who wants to go? I think we all understand that's just not possible. 

(I say this as someone who booked a cruise earlier this year, 7 months in advance, and is still waitlisted for several of our desired excursions. Is that frustrating? Of course it is. But I don't think they were being deceptive with their marketing.) 

cruiseej

It is not me stating any conditions i'm quoting what Regent are advertising in their brochure's. I am not new to Regent and are fully aware of how shore excursions work but if, as post 15 RachelG says is Very common these days. We had 2 excursions cancelled after we boarded the ship. None other alternatives offered in one port, if this continues then surely this will detract from the product on which Regent are advertising/providing.

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

It is not me stating any conditions i'm quoting what Regent are advertising in their brochure's.

Regent is advertising that you may select an unlimited number of excursions on your cruise. It doesn't mean an unlimited number of excursions will be available to you. 

If you signed onto the Regent website when your cruise's expeditions first became available, you could have picked any excursion in every port, and possibly two in some ports if time allowed. If you signed onto the site days or weeks or months later, you would likely find some excursions sold out or waitlisted because others booked before you. Do you feel this is deceptive advertising? Because if you do, that means you expect them to always add more excursions in every port in order to fulfill every customer's wishes. If a bus for a tour fills up, and one more person wants to go, they would book another bus, drive and guide for that one additional person. If a boat becomes fully booked, they would get another boat for the next passenger who wants that excursion. Of course, that's possible in some cases and not possible in other cases. 

Having excursions canceled is just a variation on the same theme. If an excursion operator cancels an excursion they were providing to Regent, what do you expect Regent to do? They (and potentially other cruise ships scheduled in port on the same day) have long ago booked various excursions with various providers. If any local tour operator has additional capacity available, Regent can add another tour option for people whose initial excursion got canceled; if not, however, what would you expect them to do? Is Regent being deceptive because they can't manufacture a new excursion to replace one which was canceled? I don't believe so.

I do agree with you that if you're on a cruise where multiple excursions are canceled, and new/additional excursions are not added, it's frustrating and disappointing. (If they were Regent excursions you had had to pay for, and they was canceled at the last minute without replacements, even though you'd get back your prepayment, wouldn't it also be frustrating and disappointing?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Regent is advertising that you may select an unlimited number of excursions on your cruise. It doesn't mean an unlimited number of excursions will be available to you. 

If you signed onto the Regent website when your cruise's expeditions first became available, you could have picked any excursion in every port, and possibly two in some ports if time allowed. If you signed onto the site days or weeks or months later, you would likely find some excursions sold out or waitlisted because others booked before you. Do you feel this is deceptive advertising? Because if you do, that means you expect them to always add more excursions in every port in order to fulfill every customer's wishes. If a bus for a tour fills up, and one more person wants to go, they would book another bus, drive and guide for that one additional person. If a boat becomes fully booked, they would get another boat for the next passenger who wants that excursion. Of course, that's possible in some cases and not possible in other cases. 

Having excursions canceled is just a variation on the same theme. If an excursion operator cancels an excursion they were providing to Regent, what do you expect Regent to do? They (and potentially other cruise ships scheduled in port on the same day) have long ago booked various excursions with various providers. If any local tour operator has additional capacity available, Regent can add another tour option for people whose initial excursion got canceled; if not, however, what would you expect them to do? Is Regent being deceptive because they can't manufacture a new excursion to replace one which was canceled? I don't believe so.

I do agree with you that if you're on a cruise where multiple excursions are canceled, and new/additional excursions are not added, it's frustrating and disappointing. (If they were Regent excursions you had had to pay for, and they was canceled at the last minute without replacements, even though you'd get back your prepayment, wouldn't it also be frustrating and disappointing?)

I think we are at cross purposes here, i don't think Regent is being deceptive at all i have all my excursions booked on my 2 upcoming Regent cruises. I am just putting my opinion in on this thread towards RachelG's experience of having 2 excursions being cancelled just a few day's before boarding with nothing else provided or available. Now we all know that Regents shore excursions are not free and Regent do not say they are free, they are included but we do actually pay for them in our headline fare. If they do continue to cancel shore excursions and it seems to be happening more than ever lately, surely this then detracts from your experience,so taking up Regents advertising slogan 

Only Regent Seven Seas Cruises®offers this extraordinary inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it.

is a bit unfair don't you? as i said before how can you take advantage of something that is not available to you. Shore excursions do have a monetary value on Regent of $150, now i'm not saying these should be reimbursed if they cancel but what if Regent told you a few days before boarding that your room steward would not be servicing your suite for a couple of days and there is no alternative (i know this is extreme and never going to happen ) would we all just accept that, after all we are paying for this service in the cost of the cruise but then again we are paying for shore excursions as well, are we not. The point i am trying to make, ( maybe not be making a good job of it ) is how much of a reduction in other services would make Regents Advertising phrases of Every Luxury Included / An Unrivalled Experience become an myth and when do a Luxury Line become a Premium Line.

These are just my thoughts and i'm not saying i'm right, for as my wife often reminds me it would not be the first time that i'm wrong.😁

• Like 2

Seasickphil, I agree with you. There is a difference between having excursion options, even if it isn’t your first choice, during the selection process long before the actual cruise. When excursions are cancelled close to or during the cruise and there aren’t even any choices available, it is different. And although Regent uses the term “free” for hotels, air and excursions, we all know that we are paying for them in our base fare. And sometimes, we do directly pay extra for an excursions such as small group tours or Regent special tours. I would hope that Regent would credit us back if this was the case. Comments like “if you don’t like it, cruise elsewhere” aren’t helpful to an open discussion. You have the right to be disappointed and to express that disappointment. I would do the same because for me the destination is as important as the onboard experiences.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

.And sometimes, we do directly pay extra for an excursions such as small group tours or Regent special tours. I would hope that Regent would credit us back if this was the case.

Of course you are reimbursed whatever extra you pay for a Regent Choice excursion.  You can also cancel a Regent Choice excursion for refund of the additional you paid as long as it's cancelled at least 36 hours before tour departure.

We have had excursions cancelled on every Regent cruise except one to western Caribbean we have taken post covid. So that is 3 cruises (Israel to Rome, Quebec to NYC, and recently Tokyo to Tokyo) Pre-covid it was extremely rare, but now, it seems to be routine.  It is tour operators canceling, not Regent, but very frustrating because with the late cancellations (sometimes being notified after we board the ship), there is no availability on other Regent excursions and not enough time to find a private tour.  I am very good at researching and planning, but it is difficult after we are already on the ship, particularly with a poor internet connection. 

I do think there advertising is somewhat deceptive to be honest.  They probably need to back off on the claim of unlimited free excursions and put a disclaimer in there that excursions are not guaranteed to be available. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seasickphil said:

".... Now we all know that Regents shore excursions are not free and Regent do not say they are free, they are included but we do actually pay for them in our headline fare..."

Phil - There are specific differences between accepted/lawful marketing practices in the U.S. vs UK.  Our Regent advertising material in the U.S. actually DOES STATE that excursions are "Free".  Below Directly cut/pasted from RSSC's U.S. online website...

"Every journey is as varied as the travelers taking it. So, at Regent Seven Seas Cruises – the only truly all-inclusive luxury cruise line – we offer thousands of FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions to explore however you please when sailing to the over 500 ports of call that we sail to across the globe." 

Regards

In all this discussion it seems no one has read the Terms and Conditions the we ALL agree to when we book a cruise.  Here is what it says about excursions:

" Free Unlimited Shore Excursion reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability....Regent Seven Seas Cruises reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or cruisetour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant.   In the event of charters of the vessels, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the vessels identified in the current brochure may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise or cruisetour and may, but is not obligated to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and Regent Seven Seas Cruises shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement."

So....there it is.  If you cruise on Regent you agree to these terms.

31 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

In all this discussion it seems no one has read the Terms and Conditions the we ALL agree to when we book a cruise.  Here is what it says about excursions:

" Free Unlimited Shore Excursion reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability....Regent Seven Seas Cruises reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or cruisetour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant.   In the event of charters of the vessels, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the vessels identified in the current brochure may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise or cruisetour and may, but is not obligated to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and Regent Seven Seas Cruises shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement."

Thank you for posting that (couldn’t figure out how to on phone). I have referred to the T&C contract in several of my comments. We all agree to it and sign it if we sail with Regent. IMO this discussion is beating a dead horse, if we don’t like Regent policies try another cruise line.

Our 3 cruises postCovid have had canceled on the ship tours, full tours (we booked a few months pre cruise) and many tours not suitable for persons mobility issues. This also happened before Covid. Not as often, but I am willing to let things settle down….it will take time yet. I like the offered “free” tours at this stage of our travel, like reading choices and picking one and done. But I know for the best choice we have to be able to book when they first open a year out. We have never visited a port on a Regent ship that we didn’t find something interesting to do either ship sponsored or locally provided. Destinations personal have been very helpful with info when a tour was canceled at the last minute. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

As pingpong rightly says terms & conditions are different in the U.K and some of us do read them. These are taken from our brochures.

1. Your cruise holiday fare includes suite accommodation, all meals and entertainment on board ship (including in-suite dining, 24 hour room service and no charge for speciality restaurants), return economy flights (subject to applicable conditions - see clause 7), transfers between airport, hotel and ship (for fly-cruise bookings where you have not customised your flight arrangements or where purchased at the same time as making your cruise only booking), a 1 night pre-cruise hotel package for bookings confirmed in a concierge suite or higher, unlimited beverages including fine wines and premium spirits, gratuities, unlimited shore excursions (excluding Regent Choice and Overland Programmes), butler service (C- MS categories), detailed port briefings, port charges, departure taxes, baggage handling and security charges and unlimited Wi-Fi. Not included, however, are activities and services for which an additional charge is made such as Regent Choice shore excursions and Overland Programmes or meals ashore (unless otherwise stated in the itinerary description), any fuel supplement, personal services, other items available on board, airport transfers where you have booked cruise only (unless purchased at the same time as making your cruise only booking), any charges imposed on goods or services by local authorities whilst in port or within territorial waters and any other service not expressly included in your cruise fare. We will do our best to inform you of any additional costs that you will be required to pay, however, we are not always in a position to do this at the time of booking. Where we are made aware of a specific charge that you will have to pay prior to the start of your cruise, we will notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible.

I am not talking about t&c though, what i believe is not correct is that Regent in the U.K say this.

Embark on an unforgettable journey, enjoying as many shoreside tours and experiences as you wish with our more than 3,800 INCLUDED Unlimited Shore Excursions, from encountering majestic wildlife to sampling delicious cuisine to touring iconic UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Only Regent Seven Seas Cruises®offers this extraordinary inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it.

As i have said previously i know what Regent mean by unlimited Shore Excursions. What i do not think is fair though is that if Regent continues to cancel shore excursions (what this thread is all about) then how can they justify telling you to take full advantage of this extraordinary inclusion if there is nothing available for you to take advantage of. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

As pingpong rightly says terms & conditions are different in the U.K and some of us do read them. These are taken from our brochures.

1. Your cruise holiday fare includes suite accommodation, all meals and entertainment on board ship (including in-suite dining, 24 hour room service and no charge for speciality restaurants), return economy flights (subject to applicable conditions - see clause 7), transfers between airport, hotel and ship (for fly-cruise bookings where you have not customised your flight arrangements or where purchased at the same time as making your cruise only booking), a 1 night pre-cruise hotel package for bookings confirmed in a concierge suite or higher, unlimited beverages including fine wines and premium spirits, gratuities, unlimited shore excursions (excluding Regent Choice and Overland Programmes), butler service (C- MS categories), detailed port briefings, port charges, departure taxes, baggage handling and security charges and unlimited Wi-Fi. Not included, however, are activities and services for which an additional charge is made such as Regent Choice shore excursions and Overland Programmes or meals ashore (unless otherwise stated in the itinerary description), any fuel supplement, personal services, other items available on board, airport transfers where you have booked cruise only (unless purchased at the same time as making your cruise only booking), any charges imposed on goods or services by local authorities whilst in port or within territorial waters and any other service not expressly included in your cruise fare. We will do our best to inform you of any additional costs that you will be required to pay, however, we are not always in a position to do this at the time of booking. Where we are made aware of a specific charge that you will have to pay prior to the start of your cruise, we will notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible.

I am not talking about t&c though, what i believe is not correct is that Regent in the U.K say this.

Embark on an unforgettable journey, enjoying as many shoreside tours and experiences as you wish with our more than 3,800 INCLUDED Unlimited Shore Excursions, from encountering majestic wildlife to sampling delicious cuisine to touring iconic UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Only Regent Seven Seas Cruises®offers this extraordinary inclusion and you are encouraged to take full advantage of it.

As i have said previously i know what Regent mean by unlimited Shore Excursions. What i do not think is fair though is that if Regent continues to cancel shore excursions (what this thread is all about) then how can they justify telling you to take full advantage of this extraordinary inclusion if there is nothing available for you to take advantage of. 

You bring up a good point however we all know reality, don't we?  We're successful and mature adults.  We know that it's impossible for every passenger on every cruise in every port to be able to do all the excursions they want, don't we?  And even if we could, someone would come on here and say the cruise line is "deceptive" because the ship didn't stay in port long enough to do the 5 excursions they wanted to do so they clearly aren't "unlimited."   So let's all be adults and face reality.  ALL cruise lines are limited by length of port stop, availability of vendors, weather, etc.  Regent has NO limitations on NUMBER of tours you can book, BUT they have to be available and fit into the time parameters of the port stop.  

If you look at other inclusive cruise lines you'll find that only ONE excursion is included in each port.  THAT is "limited."  

As for cancellations, well, that's cruising post Covid.  Tour companies cancel.  Ports change.  Time in port changes.  It's just what happens.  All the complaining in the world won't change anything because there is nothing they can do.  Regent can't build an extra bus or boat because too many have booked a specific excursion or a tour company has canceled.  They can't go into a port when the weather prevents it or the port closes for some reason.  And EVERY cruise line in the industry is experiencing the same issues and worse.  Go over and read what's happening on other boards and see.  This is just cruising post Covid.  It's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future.  

Edited by papaflamingo

Of the 15 Regent cruises (5 post Covid) we have enjoyed, I cannot remember a cruise when a tour or two was not cancelled or materially changed. We have always found an alternative that was satisfactory. On a recent Voyager cruise down the west African coast, Destination Services communicated very clearly, lowering passengers’ expectations about infrastructure, reliability, and guide quality. Good, clear communication would help in these post Covid times.

• Like 1

On another social media forum 😁 a lady has commented that the Holyhead stop on the NY to Southampton cruise on Navigator in June has been cancelled and a 'relaxing sea day' put in place instead. I would definitely be very upset and demanding a full refund if the only stop on my cruise in God's own country had been cancelled 😜.

Seriously though, there is so much beautiful countryside and historic things to see in this corner of North Wales and I am sad for the passengers that they will not get to see it but also sad for the port area and local businesses that they could have visited as we are a tourist area and rely heavily on our summer visitors. 😢

Edited by Techno123

21 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Phil - There are specific differences between accepted/lawful marketing practices in the U.S. vs UK.  Our Regent advertising material in the U.S. actually DOES STATE that excursions are "Free".  Below Directly cut/pasted from RSSC's U.S. online website...

"Every journey is as varied as the travelers taking it. So, at Regent Seven Seas Cruises – the only truly all-inclusive luxury cruise line – we offer thousands of FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions to explore however you please when sailing to the over 500 ports of call that we sail to across the globe." 

Regards

We all know that they aren’t free, just like they advertise free airfare. For legal purposes they may call it free but the cost is in the base product price. If not, it would be hard to justify the higher cost of a Regent cruise vs other high end competitors.

This was one reason I stopped sailing Regent when they added All Inclusive Excursions.

When you book your own excursions with outside operators, you are not competing with 100's of people for the same seat on a bus. 

Even on a private tour, things happen.  We had a guide hungover in Portugal on a holiday and he forgot he was booked.  We hopped into a cab and did the tour mostly on our own. It cost less and we were free to come and go.  Always mindful that the ship departs and plan to be back with time to spare.

22 hours ago, briar14 said:

Of the 15 Regent cruises (5 post Covid) we have enjoyed, I cannot remember a cruise when a tour or two was not cancelled or materially changed. We have always found an alternative that was satisfactory. On a recent Voyager cruise down the west African coast, Destination Services communicated very clearly, lowering passengers’ expectations about infrastructure, reliability, and guide quality. Good, clear communication would help in these post Covid times.

Having an excursion cancelled or unavailable and then having an alternative excursion available is one thing. Having an excursion cancelled or unavailable and then not having any alternative is another thing. I think it is reasonable for a person to expect some available excursion, even if it isn’t one of their top choices. I am sorry to keep harping on the use of the word “free” with Regent but nothing is free, it is included in our base fare. I hear the constant drum beat of the legal verbiage in the contract, and obviously that gives them cover and it trumps whatever we think is fair, but there is something morally wrong if Regent advertises free or included excursions and then doesn’t have any available excursion to book. I completely understand the cancellation of a port in the event that there is a safety concern that prevents Regent from stopping at that location. I think there are 2 distinct sides to this argument and I respect all perspectives. 

• Like 6