Most Scenic NCL Cruises?

JustAPilot

On 8/3/2023 at 11:58 PM, omahabob said:

Hawaii cruise is nowhere near as scenic as it used to be, since they no longer cruise past the Na Pali Coast.

Been to Hawaii a few times.  I visit an old college "friend" who lives on the Big Island.  Hawaii is one of those places that is better as a land trip than on a cruise, IMHO!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Love Bermuda.  But, Greek Isles are a bucket list item.  I think maybe the cruise after next.

Wishing that for you.  Athens pre or post trip is a must do.  We stayed in Plaka and it is a very walkable neighborhood with lots of restaurants and coffee houses and close to major attractions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Been to Hawaii a few times.  I visit an old college "friend" who lives on the Big Island.  Hawaii is one of those places that is better as a land trip than on a cruise, IMHO!

100% agree, but many people want to cruise Hawaii instead. A cruise is also a good way to determine the places you most want to see on a land trip later. But as far as I'm concerned, no trip to Hawaii is complete without seeing Na Pali.

PA090350.JPG

PA090364.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Agree.  Years ago the itinerary order was different with Maui being the last one before returning to Honolulu.  I would be much more likely to take that cruise again if we could still "jump ship" to spend some extra time on Maui. 

Also agree that the Na Pali coast was an important part of that cruise as was the night viewing of the volcano from the ship sailing past the Big Island. 

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2

I would like to note for the administration here, those are my pictures above, and are not protected by anyone else's copyright.

They also don't do Na Pali justice. There is absolutely no substitute for being there. It is the epitome of the word breathtaking. It's no wonder Hollywood loves filming there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:58 PM, omahabob said:

Hawaii cruise is nowhere near as scenic as it used to be, since they no longer cruise past the Na Pali Coast.

We leave for the Pride of America on Thursday for a cruise we've been paying off for like 3 years, I cannot tell you how disappointed we are that we can no longer see the Na'Pali Coast, it was the highlight of our honeymoon.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:41 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Mike, it's great to see you back on CC after a bit of a hiatus.  I always look forward to your posts.

James

Unfortunately, he announced his departure a month or two ago due to...uhhh, a misunderstanding with his roll call. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Unfortunately, he announced his departure a month or two ago due to...uhhh, a misunderstanding with his roll call. 

Sorry, my timing must have been off.  I thought that unfortunate episode occurred several months ago and that the post which I saw was more recent. My mistake.  I really do miss Mike's comments, though.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 7:32 AM, graphicguy said:

Love Bermuda.  But, Greek Isles are a bucket list item.  I think maybe the cruise after next.

Greek Islands has long been a bucket list destination for us and at 75 and 77 decided we shouldn't wait much longer.  We're taking the Prima TA next April, flying to Venice, spending one night there and then boarding the MSC Armonia for this cruise

image.thumb.png.78354307549b10b9c594f59207fff42a.png

• Like 3

Just now, kjquilts said:

Greek Islands has long been a bucket list destination for us and at 75 and 77 decided we shouldn't wait much longer.  We're taking the Prima TA next April, flying to Venice, spending one night there and then boarding the MSC Armonia for this cruise

image.thumb.png.78354307549b10b9c594f59207fff42a.png

Wouldn't let me edit so continuing my train of thought here

We've done a lot of cruises and enjoyed every one of them.  Our Hawaii cruise on Pride of America was very memorable because we were with our best friends in corner aft facing suite with giant wrap around balcony.  So thankful we had wonderful sail past Napili Coast and weather and view was gorgeous.  Loved all our Alaska cruises, love the Caribbean sea, loved our Venice (Trieste) to Lisbon this past April and was so happy we did the hour long tender in to Venice and back to the ship and had the NCL Murano/Burano excursion between tender rides.  A long but wonderful day,

• Like 3

On 8/7/2023 at 12:06 PM, kjquilts said:

It was also on my bucket list & was the very 1st cruise we experienced. If you haven't been to Croatia before, it is an incredible surprise, at least, it was to us. Dubrovnik was beautiful and our guide (did the Game of Thrones excursion in 2017) was informative & joyful about sharing her city/country's history with us. Corfu was also my fave of the 3 Greek islands we visited...Santorini, Mykonos.  I hope your trip meets or exceeds your expectations! 

• Like 2

Alaska was just stunning.. The next morning after leaving Seattle, it was a beauty and silence I have never experienced before. It just gets better and better throughout the sailing.

Next week is Iceland and Norway.  My two bucket list destinations besides Antartica.Cannot wait to see if they top Alaska.

• Like 2

love Alaska for the sheer beauty of the landscape and wildlife. We also found the Canada and New England cruise to be quite scenic especially the St Lawerence Seaway. The Panama Canal is also a great cruise. We will be going to Antartica in Jan of 2025 - hoping it is as great as it sounds.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm all pumped about the possibility of visiting all the tourist attractions in Antarctica. I can see getting pumped over the novelty of doing something very few others have done. But it's just snow and ice there, and I've seen more than my share of that. But, to each his own.

• Like 1

For me both Chilean and Norway fjords tie for scenic splendor. I loved rounding Cape Horn with amazing winds as we crossed. And of course the wildlife of the area was amazing so maybe South America edges out  Norway. 

In 40 years of cruising, I've covered a lot of territory. Really, loved them all. But now that I'm thinking about it, the first transatlantic to New York City, and seeing the Statue of Liberty welcoming us home was pretty darned cool.

Edited by herbanrenewal
  • Like 4

On 8/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, kjquilts said:

Venice (Trieste) to Lisbon this past April and was so happy we did the hour long tender in to Venice and back to the ship and had the NCL Murano/Burano excursion between tender rides.  A long but wonderful day,

For anyone wanting to do a pre-cruise in Venice, I highly recommend staying on Murano.  The water taxi goes from the airport directly to Murano, where there are two stops.  Main Murano waterfront and then right by the Hyatt Centric.  We stayed in main at Murano Palace, a small boutique hotel.  The water taxi will take you to all of the Venitian islands.  Very easy to get around.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Alaska was just stunning.. The next morning after leaving Seattle, it was a beauty and silence I have never experienced before. It just gets better and better throughout the sailing.

Next week is Iceland and Norway.  My two bucket list destinations besides Antartica.Cannot wait to see if they top Alaska.

Norway has waterfalls, the scenery in Antartica is Alaska on steroids, more or less. And they have PENGUINS!!! Sadly, we didn't make it to Stanley because of weather.  But we did come upon a fin whale feeding area - ship was basically surrounded. Now fin whales don't do the tail flips like the humpbacks do but it was still quite impressive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, omahabob said:

Yeah, I'm all pumped about the possibility of visiting all the tourist attractions in Antarctica. I can see getting pumped over the novelty of doing something very few others have done. But it's just snow and ice there, and I've seen more than my share of that. But, to each his own.

For sure, to each her own. I’ve been to Antarctica (expedition cruise), and it’s hardly just “snow and ice,” although the ice is absolutely extraordinary. It has its own incredible presence.  But, if it’s not your thing …

• Like 5

#1 Bermuda: oh, that blue water like no other

#2 Panama Canal: engineering marvel that brought me to tears. honestly...one of the coolest sights

#3 Port of New York: being wished a safe journey or a welcome home from Lady Liberty is amazing

#4 I'll let you know Sept 24th, but I suspect I will be counted amongst the Alaska lovers

image.thumb.png.9d23a7df580a47c52f88e302bd9f50c0.png

Great topic and loving the responses. Keep Googling the ports mentioned an adding to an ever growing bucket list!

Warmest Amy

• Like 5