Viking Promo Restrictions

PaulS

I am somewhat dismayed with Viking and my first cruise with them is still two months away.

I booked and paid in full under a recent promo that offered free air. The other day I received an email from them with a new promo that reduced the cost of the rooms and offered free air as well. I asked my travel agent if Viking would offer me that same new rate either as a refund or an onboard credit and their answer was that the promo was only for new reservations. I then asked if I could upgrade to a higher category room by paying the difference between the new rate and the rate I paid for a lower category. Again, the answer was no. Cancelling and rebooking was my only alternative, but that was certainly not an attractive option financially.

Can those of you who are frequent Viking customers comment if this is in fact their policy regarding promos.

Once you book and make a deposit, you have entered into a contract subject to the T&C at the time of booking. The T&C outline the circumstances you reference indirectly. This is consistent with every cruise line we have sailed with.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers. 

I have been able to get lower rates when the price of cabins went down on other lines, but that was always before the final payment. I really was not too surprised that they would not offer a refund or onboard credit, but I was surprised when they would not even let me pay more to upgrade the room. Well, they would have let me upgrade and pay more, but I would have had to pay the difference between what I paid and the price of the higher category when I originally booked, not what they are charging now for new reservations.

in any event, it is what it is. I just hope the onboard experience is as good as I have heard it is.

If I am traveling on a cruise itinerary that is very important for me, then I am willing to book the cruise far in advance and be comfortable with the price I pay.  Yes, it is nice to get the discounts, but I had my cabin chosen far in advance, and usually all my shore excursions and air arranged as well.

However, there are times when I choose to travel just because the price is great, and I have the flexibility to travel last minute. Two months is last minute for me if the cruise is in Europe, or out of the USA, because I also have to arrange for boarding for my dogs.

Recently I have been inundated with cruise offers, including a Carnival 10 day British isles cruise for less than $200.00 pp in August.  Yes, I was quite tempted, but I am cruising on Princess to Greece and Turkey in July (booked two years ago, so no discounts, boo-hoo, but a fantastic itinerary!).

All cruise lines want to fill their ships before they sail, so there are often bargains if one can hold off.  

I just went on a Viking river cruise last month, and we had a great time. Viking offers a very comfortable experience and takes wonderful care of all passengers on board.

Sometimes you cruise on a budget, sometimes you splurge, but usually they are all special experiences. I am not loyal to one particular brand--I am loyal to cruising!

• Like 3

Viking will never change what you agreed to pay  (even before final payment); unlike many other cruise lines which will provide some form of credit even after final payment (you can search CC for many examples in the other forums).  Seems that once Viking has your money, it's a done deal as (again) Viking has your money.  Just something to remember the next time you book a cruise.  As others will point out (in different ways), just stop looking at Viking's advertisements and you'll be happier.

• Like 1

Yeah, once booked and deposited (let alone post final payment) Viking won't budge.  I learned about it the same way you did: booked in advance, flash sale, Viking wouldn't offer any concession or even take more of my money to book a higher category at the new promo rate.  It is what it is.  I will say the onboard experience more than makes up for the sour tastes left by Viking's inflexibility when compared to some other cruise lines.

In the future, wait for Viking's "last minute" sales.  They are usually posted about 4 months out.  Those fares and/or perks are pretty much as good as Viking will give on those itineraries.

4 hours ago, PaulS said:

I am somewhat dismayed with Viking and my first cruise with them is still two months away.

I booked and paid in full under a recent promo that offered free air. The other day I received an email from them with a new promo that reduced the cost of the rooms and offered free air as well. I asked my travel agent if Viking would offer me that same new rate either as a refund or an onboard credit and their answer was that the promo was only for new reservations. I then asked if I could upgrade to a higher category room by paying the difference between the new rate and the rate I paid for a lower category. Again, the answer was no. Cancelling and rebooking was my only alternative, but that was certainly not an attractive option financially.

Can those of you who are frequent Viking customers comment if this is in fact their policy regarding promos.

I recently had the same experience with Viking for an upcoming September cruise and I was provided the same information as you were that this is their policy. Others on CC have confirmed the same. Certainly does not give one a warm feeling before getting on the ship.

Most cruise lines will not be flexible after payment in full. I have read that sometimes others offer you OBC  in similar situations. Many cruise lines, including non mass market, will work with you to some degree before payment in full - often in OBC. 
Viking does not do any of this. I have come to understand it doesn’t matter what one feels about this, as it has always been their policy and I seriously doubt that it will change. I will say though that on board is a much different experience than prior to. I think that is what keeps selling full ships. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Most cruise lines will not be flexible after payment in full. I have read that sometimes others offer you OBC  in similar situations. Many cruise lines, including non mass market, will work with you to some degree before payment in full - often in OBC. 
Viking does not do any of this. I have come to understand it doesn’t matter what one feels about this, as it has always been their policy and I seriously doubt that it will change. I will say though that on board is a much different experience than prior to. I think that is what keeps selling full ships. 

Totally agree with you.

If the OP is upset they should just go find another cruise line.  Viking is VERY upfront on what they will and won't do and what their policies are.  Their ships are going full after COVID so there must be many many customers who feel the issues like the OP stated are worth living with in order to sail with them.

That being said, it is a business after all, and if they don't bend, that is very consistent.  They don't really attempt to hide anything, or do bait and switch (like other companies).  It is what it is.  People who are upset, don't feel it fair, or don't like it, usually just go somewhere else.  

Since we know this is their policy, we book far ahead if we must have a specific itinerary and specific cabin.  We pay the price, knowing full well that it might be discounted ahead of sailing.  But that is the "cost" of getting exactly what we want.   If we don't care about a good or bad cabin or a specific itinerary, we also wait to the last minute (a few months ahead) and book a much cheaper promo.  It is the customer's choice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

I recently had the same experience with Viking for an upcoming September cruise and I was provided the same information as you were that this is their policy. Others on CC have confirmed the same. Certainly does not give one a warm feeling before getting on the ship.

For September, though, since you are outside the 120 day penalty period, you could cancel and rebook for $100 apiece. We've done it in the past when the difference is significant. We don't book our insurance through Viking, we get it through insuremytrip so not sure how it would affect insurance through Viking. Our TA has always kept us in the same cabin, too...new booking number.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've had upgraded cabin categories (required extra payment from me) after final payment dates with Princess, MSC, and Royal Caribbean.  I've had NCL offer Future Cruise Credits after fare drops after final payment date.  I can understand Viking not wiling to give OBCs or monetary compensations, but not allowing guests who are already booked to upgrade at the new promo rate (and collect additional revenue from the same guests) doesn't make sense.

As for Viking being upfront about what they will and they will not do... Viking's the only cruise line so far that refused to take more of my money (to book a higher cabin category with a new promo) after final payment date.  I've learned to work with Viking's quirks.  Telling new-to-Viking cruisers to "take it or leave it" just adds salt to the wound.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

For September, though, since you are outside the 120 day penalty period, you could cancel and rebook for $100 apiece. We've done it in the past when the difference is significant. We don't book our insurance through Viking, we get it through insuremytrip so not sure how it would affect insurance through Viking. Our TA has always kept us in the same cabin, too...new booking number.

I was absolutely not able to do this even though I am four months out.  I now go in knowing that I am paying 2600 dollars more (even with what we THOUGHT were considerable discounts from TA including 400 dollars off and 600 obc/ additional 200 off pp from viking) than someone booking today.  I hear about a lot of people able to do what you've done and the inconsistencies are annoying.  Couple hundred bucks I would not even call over but close to 3000 is a big difference.  This is not last minute promotion either...its for an October cruise.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, CCWineLover said:

Viking is VERY upfront on what they will and won't do and what their policies are. 

Are they though??? Not in my experience.  Our cruising companions were given considerable perks on the last cruise that we were not given.  They had 500 obc and a free drink package because whoever they got on the phone added the promotion.  The person we talked to said only for new bookings.  

5 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

I was absolutely not able to do this even though I am four months out.  I now go in knowing that I am paying 2600 dollars more (even with what we THOUGHT were considerable discounts from TA including 400 dollars off and 600 obc/ additional 200 off pp from viking) than someone booking today.  I hear about a lot of people able to do what you've done and the inconsistencies are annoying.  Couple hundred bucks I would not even call over but close to 3000 is a big difference.  This is not last minute promotion either...its for an October cruise.  

Did your TA try? Mine was able to. Makes no sense really. I'd have the TA try again.

My TA did try but was told not able to do it.  I understand the business practice of filling the ship with last minute promotions.  I suppose 4 months may be last minute in the cruise world so it's ok.   It does make me pause on booking with viking again.  I won't give my money a year in advance and if I miss out then I'll pick a different voyage. 

I loved my first two cruises with them.  The most recent one was quite disappointing.  Staff could have been same as any previous royal or carnival cruise I have been on.  Ship is lovely, food is very good, rooms are fab even in lowest category.  So... I keep coming back.  I am a very easy to please cruiser though... I don't like being doted on.  I don't mind about lack of entertainment because I love to read and exercise and relax in the spa.  I love my fellow viking cruisers.  I am younger than the average and I really like it.  Everyone is so polite and friendly.  So all things considered, I go in knowing what I'm spending and shouldn't look at the promos after the fact!

Back in Nov '21 booked two cabins for 7/1/22 VR Grand European Tour. Total cost including free air was $31K.  Less than three months prior to sailing Viking rolled out their 25th anniversary sale with significantly lower pricing along with free air and free bev pkg.  Contacted our TA and asked her to see if VR would throw us the bev pkg.  To our surprise they repriced our reservations refunding over $9k plus the free air and bev pkg.  I posted this on cc and several others then contacted Viking and received price adjustments as well.   Maybe we were just lucky or maybe the policy has since changed.

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Back in Nov '21 booked two cabins for 7/1/22 VR Grand European Tour. Total cost including free air was $31K.  Less than three months prior to sailing Viking rolled out their 25th anniversary sale with significantly lower pricing along with free air and free bev pkg.  Contacted our TA and asked her to see if VR would throw us the bev pkg.  To our surprise they repriced our reservations refunding over $9k plus the free air and bev pkg.  I posted this on cc and several others then contacted Viking and received price adjustments as well.   Maybe we were just lucky or maybe the policy has since changed.

You made the deadline for CFAR. This policy changed 12/1/21. I took advantage a few times myself, but had you booked your cruise in December you would not have been able to do this.

1 minute ago, Squawkman said:

You made the deadline for CFAR. This policy changed 12/1/21. I took advantage a few times myself, but had you booked your cruise in December you would not have been able to do this.

Didn't cancel & re-book.  Same reservation #, cabin # and flights.  They just gave us a price adjustment and added bev pkg.

I had 2 similar situations where I made changes and my Viking agent was able to keep the same booking number after calling a supervisor. I’m glad a fellow Jersey guy was able to get the discount without rebooking 😊

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, CCWineLover said:

Viking is VERY upfront on what they will and won't do and what their policies are. 

Sorry, but I totally disagree.  Viking is not transparent many times and just puts up a stone wall when asked direct questions to explain Viking quirks, like cancelling ports, changing ships, Viking Air problems, changes to flights, changes to seats, voucher issues,... the list is long.  Since Viking sells out their cruises, Viking really doesn't care to answer many questions when Viking changes your cruise or flights.  Why should they?  Like Viking just changed their final payment date from 12 months to 18 months for new bookings.  No one knows why and Viking will not answer, even their top TAs don't know.  I fear that something is going on within Viking causing Viking to need more hard money now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Sorry, but I totally disagree.  Viking is not transparent many times and just puts up a stone wall when asked direct questions to explain Viking quirks, like cancelling ports, changing ships, Viking Air problems, changes to flights, changes to seats, voucher issues,... the list is long.  Since Viking sells out their cruises, Viking really doesn't care to answer many questions when Viking changes your cruise or flights.  Why should they?  Like Viking just changed their final payment date from 12 months to 18 months for new bookings.  No one knows why and Viking will not answer, even their top TAs don't know.  I fear that something is going on within Viking causing Viking to need more hard money now.

So sorry to hear of your difficulties.

All I can speak for is my own experiences and I've not ever had any issues or difficulties in dealing with or communicating with Viking.  We don't use Viking Air, however (which seems to be a great deal of issues).   I guess we've all had different experiences.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Outside of air issues where they have little or no control, Viking has always been transparent to me - and I have experienced canceled cruises, canceled ports, etc. I have been using the same Viking agent for several years who gets me answers for everything. PIF dates and voucher policy may differ for several reasons. Often the answers are in the T&C. Your conclusions are obviously not shared by everyone here.

• Like 2

I get emails and brochures regularly from Viking.  My most recent email listed in small print at the very bottom all the due dates for final payments.  Yes, for 2025 it is about a year and a half to two years!  I like to plan somewhat far in advance, but I do not want to tie up all my funds that long, earning interest for Viking. For that reason I am going to be patient and book closer to sailing dates, should I choose Viking.  

I think Viking does a pretty good job trying to provide information and answer questions, but remember there is a lot to know and cover, and individual agents only have a smattering of knowledge across all these diverse areas.  Always read the small print, and T & C, etc., etc. I have been on more than ten different cruise lines, and I found Viking staff to be some of the most helpful and friendly.

The only other challenge I have with Viking is the fact that on Viking Ocean higher-priced cabins select their shore excursions first.  We are very active, and shore excursions are sometimes the highlight of the cruise for us (not the cabin, or the food, or the service).  Husband always says he is more than willing to rent a car and drive around a country to see all the sights that are our priority, but I prefer the "moving hotel" concept of a cruise ship.  

• Like 4

I also feel Viking Ocean are not transparent. We booked our first V O cruise in 2017 and paid in full a year ahead. About 6 months before our trip it was advertised at a deep discount with free air. Our TA called immediately to get the new offer to find we would have to cancel and rebook with a $6000 penalty!. Recently we put a deposit on an Antarctic cruise which had to be paid in full within a week. When they sent a medical form which needed to be completed by a physician it was obvious my husband would not qualify so we tried to cancel immediately. Luckily we had only paid them  $1000 as that was the last we saw of that and could not even transfer the deposit to a different cruise. We normally cruise with Oceania and always get the latest offer available if it is to our benefit.